X Box questions

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2766048 said:
Hey Yeags, I have not read throught this whole thread so this may have already been mentioned but if you are going to buy an X-Box, be sure to invest in a cooling fan. The X-Box is notorious for it's processors going south. I do believe that it is the best gaming system out right now but I've personally gone through 4 of them.

NO! those cooling fans will fry what ever system they are attached too! they lower the current to the system which makes them run slower and can come lose and zap your ps3/xbox thus ruining it

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
the kid 05;2766287 said:
NO! those cooling fans will fry what ever system they are attached too! they lower the current to the system which makes them run slower and can come lose and zap your ps3/xbox thus ruining it

Say it with a little more conviction next time. :laugh2:

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Yeah. Do NOT install a cooling fan. The first xbox revisions had heat issues, but that's largely been solved by now. Just make sure you don't keep it cooped up in an enclosed entertainment center or block the airflow into/out of the case and you should be good.

I have a launch xbox, and I've been pretty careful with it and its' still kickin after 3 years (much to my surprise, honestly).

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
DIAF;2766584 said:
Yeah. Do NOT install a cooling fan. The first xbox revisions had heat issues, but that's largely been solved by now. Just make sure you don't keep it cooped up in an enclosed entertainment center or block the airflow into/out of the case and you should be good.

I have a launch xbox, and I've been pretty careful with it and its' still kickin after 3 years (much to my surprise, honestly).

It will be on my computer desk so that won't be an issue but thanks for the warning.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DIAF;2766584 said:

This is inaccurate. First, you don't attach the fan. You buy a cooling fan. That's different then whatever you are talking about. The unit does not plug into the XBox. It runs on it's own current. Secondly, the issue is not solved because the chip used in the Xbox are seconds. Essentially, they are chips that do not pass grade for systems. The problem is not solved at all. I just had to buy a new one 2 months ago and the old one was no more then a year old.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2767124 said:
This is inaccurate. First, you don't attach the fan. You buy a cooling fan. That's different then whatever you are talking about. The unit does not plug into the XBox. It runs on it's own current. Secondly, the issue is not solved because the chip used in the Xbox are seconds. Essentially, they are chips that do not pass grade for systems. The problem is not solved at all. I just had to buy a new one 2 months ago and the old one was no more then a year old.

What kind of cooling fan are you talking about? Buying a fan and having it blow on the unit? Normally when people talk about cooling fans for systems, they mean the nyko (and similar) ones that attach to the system and are powered by USB.

As for point number two. Seconds? What do you mean by seconds? Your xbox you bought a year ago was probably a "Falcon" revision, which greatly improved the redring overheating issue but did not eradicate it completely. The latest Jasper revision further improves it. Sure, you will still have a few lemon units out of the bunch, but for the most part the issue is gone.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Watch out for the dreaded "red ring of death" (3/4 red ring start button). I bought my kid the Xbox 360 about two years ago (when he was eight) and it got the red ring about six months back. I always keep receipts and called Xbox Support. They sent a UPS shipping carton to my house and i sent it to some place in Texas. They sent me back a brand new main unit but with my old CPU. It didn't cost me a nickle and so far so good. the original 360's apparently have some cooling issues. We even had a peripheral fan-blower attachment on ours - but it still zonked.

I got a PS3 (80 gig - it's not backward compatible like the 160 gig but that's not much of issue for me 'cuz when i finish a game - like god of war 1 & 2 - i'm done with 'em) last Christmas (from santa, to santa). I don't really game much anymore - I looked at it as a blu-ray player w/ a built in gaming system since comparable players are about the same price (consumer reports had the PS3's blu-ray player comparable to standalone Sony players @ the same price, $400 - a real no-brainer for Suspect).

But now my kid keeps hammering on me to cut a swap with him now that the PS3 catalog is catching up to the 360s. The grass is always greener.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2773532 said:
5 Things To Know About Madden

1. Madden 10 will be just like Madden 09.

2. Madden 09 was just like Madden 08.

3. Madden 08 was just like Madden 07.

4. Madden 07 was just like Madden 06.

5. The AI sucks.

Madden in a nutshell.
in the words of Stuart Scott

"Hater in the house..."

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2773532 said:

5. The AI sucks.

Madden in a nutshell.

The thing I don't like about Madden is that the difficult settings don't really make the game more or less challenging, it just screws with the AI and all the probabilities.

Regardless of whether I'm playing on rookie or all madden, my offensive lineman shouldn't just run around the guy he's supposed to block.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2773677 said:
The thing I don't like about Madden is that the difficult settings don't really make the game more or less challenging, it just screws with the AI and all the probabilities.

Regardless of whether I'm playing on rookie or all madden, my offensive lineman shouldn't just run around the guy he's supposed to block.
stop dropping back 20 yards when you call a pass play.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2773532 said:

5. The AI sucks.

Madden in a nutshell.

The only reason I keep buying Madden is for updated rosters. Can't wait to pick off some passes with Mickens and T-New!..I know..only in a video game can we create turnovers:rolleyes:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Rampage;2773699 said:
stop dropping back 20 yards when you call a pass play.

I think I am going to buy madden this year. I have a ps3 though. I bought it in january for the blue ray and to play nhl and rock band 2 with friends from home.

Instead I have never used the thing till mlb the show came out. I paid 60 bucks for the hockey and played it about 5 times....I dont have the time to learn to play it efficiently....what a bad decision that was!

Mlb the show 09 on the other hand might be the best video game I have ever played. I try to sneak in a game at night to keep up with the rangers actual schedule....Another game I suck at. I am 12-20!!

anyway I am going to pick up madden this year, It will probably end up like the nhl though.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2773725 said:
I think I am going to buy madden this year. I have a ps3 though. I bought it in january for the blue ray and to play nhl and rock band 2 with friends from home.

Instead I have never used the thing till mlb the show came out. I paid 60 bucks for the hockey and played it about 5 times....I dont have the time to learn to play it efficiently....what a bad decision that was!

Mlb the show 09 on the other hand might be the best video game I have ever played. I try to sneak in a game at night to keep up with the rangers actual schedule....Another game I suck at. I am 12-20!!

anyway I am going to pick up madden this year, It will probably end up like the nhl though.
yeah but you might get so addicted to it you'll wind up learning enough to get good at it. run that ball on offense and blitz a lot on defense. oh and try to double team the wr Jenkins will be covering cause tnew always locks down his man in madden. regarding mlb the show the bright side is you only played a quarter of the season.:D

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2774056 said:
x-crap, only game I own for PS3 is MGS4, it's mostly for watching movies.
lol you answered with x-crap. you should've gotten it on playstation.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Rampage;2774163 said:
lol you answered with x-crap. you should've gotten it on playstation.

as you said earlier "hater in the house" the coding is no different for xbox or ps3