X Box questions

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
DIAF;2763573 said:
I own both a ps3 and the xbox 360 and its no contest as to which gets the most attention, and that's the ps3. Most games are multiplatform these days and only a scant few titles are system-exclusive, so really games are a wash on either one. Xbox has more simply because it's been out longer. However, I find everything else about the ps3 to be superior. Better build quality and reliability, bluray, quieter, produces less heat, better controller (Dualshock3 > Xbox Controller), bluetooth (as opposed to propreitary MS wireless), built-in-wifi, MUCH MUCH MUCH better interface, and superior online store. Plus all the useless other features like the weather/news and the folding@home are all kinda interesting.

It's a matter of opinion of course but this post doesn't hold water.

There is nothing about Sony's online anything that is better than Xbox Live. Don't even go there. :D

The system is also a lot louder than my Xbox is. I know that for sure. I just setup my buddies big screen the other night and installed his new PS3.

We poked around on the online content. Yawn!! There was hardly a title available that I knew and I was a bigtime Ps2 fan (now that was a system).

I also thought that the gfx would be better. They are comparable but I wouldnt say that the Sony games are any better than Xbox games.

For me it comes down to online community/content and it just isn't even close between the 2. The Xbox Live community is more stable and the network is faster and is a lot more user friendly. That is why it and the Xbox 360's are #1.

Good luck w/ the purchase Yeag. Holla once you get the monitor setup on it. Id like to see it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Dallas;2763664 said:

There is nothing about Sony's online anything that is better than Xbox Live. Don't even go there. :D

The system is also a lot louder than my Xbox is. I know that for sure. I just setup my buddies big screen the other night and installed his new PS3.

We poked around on the online content. Yawn!! There was hardly a title available that I knew and I was a bigtime Ps2 fan (now that was a system).

I also thought that the gfx would be better. They are comparable but I wouldnt say that the Sony games are any better than Xbox games.

For me it comes down to online community/content and it just isn't even close between the 2. The Xbox Live community is more stable and the network is faster and is a lot more user friendly. That is why it and the Xbox 360's are #1.

Good luck w/ the purchase Yeag. Holla once you get the monitor setup on it. Id like to see it.

That's one long drive just to see an xbox setup :laugh2:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2763666 said:
That's one long drive just to see an xbox setup :laugh2:

Im just curious if VGA will carry a 1080 signal. Im still skeptical. :D

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Dallas;2763664 said:

Notice I said the online store. The online store is far superior. As for the rest of the online experience, its about the same. I guess you could give xbox the edge there for all the little things you can do like avatars and whatnot, but I don't really care about that stuff much. As far as being LOUDER than the xbox, your friend must have a lemon of a ps3 then. You won't find many people that will tell you that the ps3 is louder than the 360. A friend of mine has one of the newer revision 360s, and although its quieter than the older 360s, its still far louder than my ps3. My 360 is a launch unit (3+ years and no red ring!!) and it sounds like a 747 and heats my friggin' home office when its on.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DIAF;2763774 said:
Notice I said the online store. The online store is far superior. As for the rest of the online experience, its about the same. I guess you could give xbox the edge there for all the little things you can do like avatars and whatnot, but I don't really care about that stuff much. As far as being LOUDER than the xbox, your friend must have a lemon of a ps3 then. You won't find many people that will tell you that the ps3 is louder than the 360. A friend of mine has one of the newer revision 360s, and although its quieter than the older 360s, its still far louder than my ps3. My 360 is a launch unit (3+ years and no red ring!!) and it sounds like a 747 and heats my friggin' home office when its on.

I have to agree with Dallas about the online experience, but as far as noise, I have to agree with you.

My Xbox 360 is FAR louder than my PS3. It's not even close.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas;2763664 said:

how about the fact that it's free for the ps3?

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My opinion would be to go w/ the PS3.

- Blu ray - is going to be here awhile. Might as well get it with the system.

- PS3 is more durable (there is some Youtube clip where they so all kinds of things to a PS3, 360, and Wii - and you'd be amazed what kind of beating it can take). Plus, the dreaded 3 rings!

- Noise - 360 (even the new ones) can be VERY loud - almost to where it annoys you.

- Better technology - There are already plans on an XBOX 720 - and once they do that - Microsoft will stop making 360 games - PS3 is further along and will continue making new games for alot longer. Wireless is a given, both controllers and Internet. You can use the PS3 as a web browser if you like. I've even streamed movies from online and watched them right in the living room w/ my PS3.

- Some really good exclusives coming out or out now. GT5 (racing) is going to blow your mind. Killzone 2 (FPS) blows Halo out of the water. MLB - The Show (baseball) is probably the best sports game ever made. Metal Gear - amazing game. Plus, close to all games are mulitplat. now and they have started using the PS3 to make the game - and then copy the 360 version. I think Madden this year - the PS3 is the lead platform.

- PS3 can do things that the Xbox can't even dream of. The disk space is limited on the 360.

- Free online.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Rampage;2763832 said:
how about the fact that it's free for the ps3?

Could the fact that the Sony PS3 online community being pure CRAP have anything to do w/ giving it away? :)

I think so.

I also don't get buying a Blue Ray player that plays games. You can get a Blue-Ray player a lot cheaper than the PS3.

I paid 200$ for mine. :D

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
numnuts23;2763854 said:
My opinion would be to go w/ the PS3.

- Blu ray - is going to be here awhile. Might as well get it with the system.

- PS3 is more durable (there is some Youtube clip where they so all kinds of things to a PS3, 360, and Wii - and you'd be amazed what kind of beating it can take). Plus, the dreaded 3 rings!

- Noise - 360 (even the new ones) can be VERY loud - almost to where it annoys you.

- Better technology - There are already plans on an XBOX 720 - and once they do that - Microsoft will stop making 360 games - PS3 is further along and will continue making new games for alot longer. Wireless is a given, both controllers and Internet. You can use the PS3 as a web browser if you like. I've even streamed movies from online and watched them right in the living room w/ my PS3.

- Some really good exclusives coming out or out now. GT5 (racing) is going to blow your mind. Killzone 2 (FPS) blows Halo out of the water. MLB - The Show (baseball) is probably the best sports game ever made. Metal Gear - amazing game. Plus, close to all games are mulitplat. now and they have started using the PS3 to make the game - and then copy the 360 version. I think Madden this year - the PS3 is the lead platform.

- PS3 can do things that the Xbox can't even dream of. The disk space is limited on the 360.

- Free online.

It is? I have a 500GB HD in mine. Whats w/ that? (USB External)

120GB is the biggest you can have atm for the interntal Xbox.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
a tip to silence the noise, install the game to the hdd (you still need the disk to prevent piracy though) it cuts noise down to nil

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Screw the X box and buy yourself a couple of Gallons of Yeagermeister instead.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Dallas;2763868 said:
Could the fact that the Sony PS3 online community being pure CRAP have anything to do w/ giving it away? :)

I think so.

I also don't get buying a Blue Ray player that plays games. You can get a Blue-Ray player a lot cheaper than the PS3.

Well, as far as bluray is concerned, the ps3 is easily updateable. Not so much for a stand-alone player. Obviously you don't buy a ps3 if you only want a bluray player and don't care about gaming.

What do you mean by "online community"? The features, or the people themselves? I've encountered much more juvenile idiocy playing on XBL than i have on PSN, that's for sure. As far as xbl features go...about the only thing the xbox does that i wish ps3 did was party chat. In the end, one system requires that I pay to play games online vs. people, and the other one doesn't. But I don't really hold that against xbox that much....I'm more annoyed with the crappy xbox360 interface (death to the blades and death to that new crap they rolled out last fall!) and the propreitary wireless connections/lack of wireless networking on the 360.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
CATCH17;2763891 said:

1) Yeager has said before he dont drink (no i dont stalk i just remember)
2) its Jagermeister

go watch soccer or something ;)

Ren

Reaction score
DIAF;2763897 said:
Well, as far as bluray is concerned, the ps3 is easily updateable. Not so much for a stand-alone player. Obviously you don't buy a ps3 if you only want a bluray player and don't care about gaming.

What do you mean by "online community"? The features, or the people themselves? I've encountered much more juvenile idiocy playing on XBL than i have on PSN, that's for sure. As far as xbl features go...about the only thing the xbox does that i wish ps3 did was party chat. In the end, one system requires that I pay to play games online vs. people, and the other one doesn't. But I don't really hold that against xbox that much....I'm more annoyed with the crappy xbox360 interface (death to the blades and death to that new crap they rolled out last fall!) and the propreitary wireless connections/lack of wireless networking on the 360.

Maybe cause the 360 comes with the headset included and the PS3 does not...
I've come across more douchebags on live as well but in terms of people who actually speak on PSN it's about the same % wise of DBs on both

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
CATCH17;2763891 said:

:moonbart:

And I appreciate all the opinions but I pretty much had decided I was going to buy the XBox before I even started this thread.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2764055 said:
:moonbart:

And I appreciate all the opinions but I pretty much had decided I was going to buy the XBox before I even started this thread.
I hope it doesn't crap out like most of them have

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas;2763870 said:
It is? I have a 500GB HD in mine. Whats w/ that? (USB External)

120GB is the biggest you can have atm for the interntal Xbox.

Disk space as in DVD vs. Blu Ray disk (should have been disc) :)

Ren

Reaction score
numnuts23;2764227 said:
Disk space as in DVD vs. Blu Ray disk (should have been disc) :)

that is kinda offset by the fact that blu-ray read speeds are so slow that a lot of games need installs as they can't be played straight from the disc. MGS4 is the worst example of this. I remember the disc swap joke in MGS4 being funny for all the wrong reasons after all the install i sat trough to get to that point.
If they can't fit a game on 1 dvd9 there's no problem just having 2 disc takes less time to switch disc then it does sitting trough those installs anyways so i really don't see where the advantage is

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Ren;2764274 said:
that is kinda offset by the fact that blu-ray read speeds are so slow that a lot of games need installs as they can't be played straight from the disc. MGS4 is the worst example of this. I remember the disc swap joke in MGS4 being funny for all the wrong reasons after all the install i sat trough to get to that point.
If they can't fit a game on 1 dvd9 there's no problem just having 2 disc takes less time to switch disc then it does sitting trough those installs anyways so i really don't see where the advantage is

That is not completely true.

Beyond3D said:
The only place where PS3 is slower than the 360 is with Seek times or Single Layered disks.

All 360 games are double layer tho so the speed is pretty much equal if not slower than the PS3 drive.

So no worries about the PS3 being slower once the devs get a better grasp on the hardware.

That was quite a while ago. This has improved with newer releases.

Also you are starting to see 3 disc games on the 360. Star Ocean: The Last Hope...

MGS4 has a 10 minute install and 2-4 minute per chapter which result in 20 minute total installs allocated across 30 hours of gameplay/movie.

If you haven't made your purchase already... Here's all you need to know:

PS3
- If you have a 1080p TV 42 inches or larger and you have interest in blurays use PS3
- No monthly membership fees
- Easy to upgrade hard drive. Any 2.5" serial ATA drive will work. I upgraded mine in 2008 to a 320 gigs for 100$, I am sure prices went down. Microsoft made sure the drive wasn't plug and play, so a 120 gig xbox hard drive will cost you $130 new (amazon).

- If you have many friends who have a 360 too and want to play online with them.
- Cheaper option - if you do not plan to use hard drive or Online Store

Dallas;2763868 said:

I think so.

I am sure you can support those claims by experience :rolleyes:

Lots of fanboy BS in this thread lol.

PS3 is getting more AAA exclusives these days than XBOX, but obviously the price point hinders sales. The Madden experience in 2007 was inferior on the PS3 and in 2008 menus were choppy. But EA has fixed the issues on the PS3. Theres some good multiplat games such as Fallout 3, COD4 some for PS3 MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Pixeljunk Series, Uncharted, Killzone and some for 360 Braid, Halo Series, etc.

I believe the PS3 would be the better investment, but seems the Xbox is what you need. If you are interested in a baseball game though, the PS3 is a must. MLB The Show is far superior than any other baseball game out there. Baseball fans who play it always are impressed.