Yeah, the stinking Commanders dont have a 2nd & 4th next year in 2007 draft

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
illone said:
Sure, when you're trading for washed up vets you might be right. When you're acquiring young talent with tons of upside then your logic falls short, very short.

Wrong... depth is a critical thing in the NFL, injuries happen to every team, every year (even last year, when you guys got INCREDIBLY lucky on the injury front, you had SOME injuries)...

Teams that trade draft picks for free agents pay FAR more for those free agents than they do draft picks... this means less cap room to develop quality DEPTH...

If you can't grasp that simple fact, it's no wonder you can't look at your roster now with an unprejudiced eye, and see the SERIOUS lack of depth, particularly at three positions:

Offensive line
Defensive back
Quarterback...

One of two injuries on your offensive line, and your offense is screwed; one or two injuries to defensive backs, and opposing quarterbacks are gonna feast on the Skins' secondary... and if Brunell goes down, your season is OVER...

Rots o' ruck...

Birdlives

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Which is why the Skins are screwed if they get bit too often by the injury bug... of course, that's true for all teams, to one extent or another, but it's more true for the Skins than any other team in the league...

I love how you contradict yourself right in your own post there.

As for the rest of it, yeah, probably more than one cowboys fan was ROTFL when Gibbs went and got Brunell, traded Coles for Moss, traded up for Cooley, picked up Griffin, let Pierce and Smoot go, passed up on Winslow, drafted Carlos Rogers, traded for Portis, signed Rabach, let Salave'a start, and on and on, yet all of these moves seem to be doing the Commanders alright. We'll see about this years draft picks and FA signings and that will truly tell us if Gibbs knows what he's doing. Considering his past record, I'm not too worried about it. Seems to me if you have to continuously point out that the Danny is a bad manager, and he's not even managing anymore, you've run out of ammo.

1fisher

Reaction score
illone said:
Hey now. Neither of us have room to talk on that. Both of our teams paid Deion Sanders *laugh*

he was not the missing link to our team.... remember... we had already been there twice and should have been three in a row if it had not been for Deion!

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Gibbs I was much different circumstances. First off, there was no cap when he was first around. He could trade away and sign players with no ramifications to any of it. They installed the cap the year that Joe retired, and the cap was the reason the team had to cut a lot of its star players.

In Gibbs II, however, we've got Snyder as owner -- the cap is Snyder's *****.

ROTFLMAO... that explains all those Super Bowl wins in the Snyder era...

Birdlives

Reaction score
silverbear said:
If you can't grasp that simple fact, it's no wonder you can't look at your roster now with an unprejudiced eye, and see the SERIOUS lack of depth, particularly at three positions:

Offensive line
Defensive back
Quarterback...

One of two injuries on your offensive line, and your offense is screwed; one or two injuries to defensive backs, and opposing quarterbacks are gonna feast on the Skins' secondary... and if Brunell goes down, your season is OVER...

Wow, trade Skins for cowboys and Brunell for Bledsoe and you could easliy be talking about the cowboys. Funny how that works so well...
:rolleyes:

Birdlives

Reaction score
1fisher said:
that's the ES/Commander way..... I joined their message board and didn't agree with some of the things they said and I was called every name in the book.... brokeback... trailer park trash... cowboy.... and others I won't mention! If I didn't know better I would have thought I was back in the third grade... wait a minute... maybe I was!:eek:

Ya know I keep hearing that, but I see it just as much over here as over there. The only distinction being that there's way more activity over at ES, wonder why that is....

At any rate, what's you're user name over there. Are you sure you weren't trolling? I've heard tell of Skins fans coming over here and getting bombarded. They go back to ES and complain and it turns out they were trolling over here. Funny how that happens...

EDIT: Forget I asked, after seeing your responses in here I KNOW you were trolling over there...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1fisher said:
that's the ES/Commander way..... I joined their message board and didn't agree with some of the things they said and I was called every name in the book.... brokeback... trailer park trash... cowboy.... and others I won't mention! If I didn't know better I would have thought I was back in the third grade... wait a minute... maybe I was!:eek:
You seem to mention getting banned in every skins-related thread. Are you proud or are you still angry about it? Not sure which.:confused:

Either way, it's time to let it go, man. ES is what it is...a Commanders board. And how it's run is their staff's business.

illone

Reaction score
silverbear said:
If you're counting on Mike Pucillo and Tyson Walter to help your team, you're in deep doo-doo... indeed, the Skins' depth on the offensive line is WORSE than it was last year-- Walter and Pucillo replace Ray Brown and Cory Raymer, which is NOT an upgrade...

You didn't even answer the question:rolleyes:

silverbear said:
If you REALLY think that the draft is unimportant, that free agency can be an acceptable substitute for building a good team for the long haul, then intelligence isn't one of YOUR strong suits, either...

Nowhere did I say the draft was unimportant. I simply stated that Gibbs knows what he's doing by trading SOME of those picks for proven players.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me which players have busted since Gibbs returned.

I'll start: Mike Barrow

illone

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Wrong... depth is a critical thing in the NFL, injuries happen to every team, every year (even last year, when you guys got INCREDIBLY lucky on the injury front, you had SOME injuries)...

Teams that trade draft picks for free agents pay FAR more for those free agents than they do draft picks... this means less cap room to develop quality DEPTH...

Offensive line
Defensive back
Quarterback...

Rots o' ruck...

Your offensive line isn't even good to begin with so keep hoping injuries on us.

;)

superpunk

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Hey, that's fine. I still wouldn't trade the 2nd quarter of SB22 for ALL of your superbowls. But hey, that's just me.

Keep living in the past, gentlemen...you're going to need that reassurance this season.

Said the guy who JUST referenced super bowl 22.:rolleyes:

1fisher

Reaction score
Birdlives said:
Ya know I keep hearing that, but I see it just as much over here as over there. The only distinction being that there's way more activity over at ES, wonder why that is....

At any rate, what's you're user name over there. Are you sure you weren't trolling? I've heard tell of Skins fans coming over here and getting bombarded. They go back to ES and complain and it turns out they were trolling over here. Funny how that happens...

EDIT: Forget I asked, after seeing your responses in here I KNOW you were trolling over there...

there's a whole thread over there bashing CZ...

If there's way more activity how did you manage to find time to troll on OUR board?????:eek:

silverbear

Reaction score
trickblue said:
In fairness... my Commander friends at ES rarely wanted to talk about "last season" during the streak as it was not "relevent"...

Why is it now?

Now I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just looking for consistent logic...

Consistent logic is not allowed at Extremeskins... in fact, logic of any kind is pretty much frowned on... indeed, employ too much logic, and you run a serious risk of gettin' banned over there...

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
illone said:
Your offensive line isn't even good to begin with so keep hoping injuries on us.

;)
It was pretty decent last year until Adams went down. Granted that could happen again. I hope to God it doesn't.

Nowhere did I say the draft was unimportant. I simply stated that Gibbs knows what he's doing by trading SOME of those picks for proven players.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me which players have busted since Gibbs returned.

I'll start: Mike Barrow

I have a feeling your pickups this year won't be that hot. Time will tell...

I think you will be disappointed in AR and Lloyd...

I am still wondering if Moss can do it 2 years in a row. His career is young and he really hasn't enjoyed to great years in a row. His career path is very similar to one Terry Glenn...

superpunk

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
What is more relevant to this upcoming season? The fact that the Cowboys have 5 superbowl trophies, or the fact that the Skins won 5 in a row to make the playoffs and won a playoff game on the road in Tampa last season? Hopefully, that will clear some things up for you...

The answer, fella, is that they are equally as relevant.

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Gibbs I was much different circumstances. First off, there was no cap when he was first around. He could trade away and sign players with no ramifications to any of it. They installed the cap the year that Joe retired, and the cap was the reason the team had to cut a lot of its star players.

In Gibbs II, however, we've got Snyder as owner -- the cap is Snyder's *****. All of our contracts are structured to be very cap-friendly.

Building a team through the draft is only one method...its proven, but then again so is building through free-agency.

OK, list all the Super Bowl winners from the past decade who have built primarily through free agency...

1fisher

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
You seem to mention getting banned in every skins-related thread. Are you proud or are you still angry about it? Not sure which.:confused:

Either way, it's time to let it go, man. ES is what it is...a Commanders board. And how it's run is their staff's business.

a little of both I guess...

an for the record it's not EVERY thread.... it's every other thread!:lmao2:

take it easy WG..... no need to crack the whip this late at night!

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
So enlighten me, 5Bars, how are your 5 lombardies going to help the Cowboys win this season?? And also, how will that help equally or moreso than the continuity and chemistry formed by the Skins last season?

I guess the Cowboys don't have any "continuity and chemistry", eh??

How exactly do you build chemistry when you go out and buy free agents wholesale every year, anyway??