Video: You don't know what you have until it's gone

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The OP is right. It's nice to have a good quarterback. But what good is it if our team stinks? If you have a crap team but very good QB you're probably an 8-8 team. So what will we be missing? Ok we'll be 4-12. So what. 8-8 or 4-12, neither is fun to watch.

Well you gotta draft defense!

Problem is those guys are rookies and lets say those rookies all hit.. It still takes those guys time to develop so there is no quick fix.

All the while the Oline gets a little older and have become less dependable.. Zeke becomes less and less explosive and we have to act like his 3 yards and a cloud of dust is valuable.

There is a TON of teams with QB's on rookie deals for the next 5 years. They will have all of the advantages.

When Dallas signs Dak at best we may open a 1 or 2 year window towards the end of his deal but for the next couple of years we should remain pretty mediocre because that's our floor with him.

Not to mention.. Dak is aging.. One of the best things about him on the field was he could move. He could get out and run. I don't want Dak Prescott on my team for his golden arm and QB skill because what he does as a pure passer is nothing special.

I know Washington doesn't have a QB but I actually really like their roster going forward because of what they did with their front 7 on defense.

I know they don't have all of the cool WR's and big name RB like we do but they are built to win championships if they can just get a QB. Missing on Haskins hurts but they can move on pretty easy since he is on a rookie deal.

Last edited:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't frankly remember his choke plays. You have any on hand where he was the guy that lost those games?

You mean like how he played against Philly in the division winning game? Or how about against New England? Or how about against the Saints?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You mean like how he played against Philly in the division winning game? Or how about against New England? Or how about against the Saints?
Oh! You meant entire games! I thought you meant like a Romo killer at the end of a game.
Right on.

Cmac

Reaction score
He's about as perfect of a QB prospect as you could hope for.

He checks every box.
…..until its the NFL. Not dismissing Trevor, but what do you expect when it's men he's facing, and not throwing on just 1 read routes, or the WRs that are more talented than DBs he's facing?
Then we'll do the checklist.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh! You meant entire games! I thought you meant like a Romo killer at the end of a game.
Right on.

Romo was asked to do too much. As good as he was he wasn't good enough to overcome all of the obstacles.

Dak, a much less skilled player than Romo, will be asked to carry the team as well and if the start of the season is any indicator then he also isn't good enough to get paid like he is as well as carry a roster to hopefully a CHAMPIONSHIP.

It's not a knock against Dak because even the truly elite guys who are incredible struggle to win after getting a huge cap consuming contract.

I think Dak is a good solid player and should be paid like it. Unfortunately this team killing QB market has spoiled him into thinking "I don't suck so pay me all the money cause i'm the next man up".. I don't blame him for that but as a Cowboy fan all I care about is watching my team hold up a Lombardi trophy again and I don't think we can do that by just being the fighting Dak Prescott's.

Corso

Reaction score
Romo was asked to do too much. As good as he was he wasn't good enough to overcome all of the obstacles.

Dak, a much less skilled player than Romo, will be asked to carry the team as well and if the start of the season is any indicator then he also isn't good enough to get paid like he is as well as carry a roster to hopefully a CHAMPIONSHIP.

It's not a knock against Dak because even the truly elite guys who are incredible struggle to win after getting a huge cap consuming contract.

I think Dak is a good solid player and should be paid like it. Unfortunately this team killing QB market has spoiled him into thinking "I don't suck so pay me all the money cause i'm the next man up".. I don't blame him for that but as a Cowboy fan all I care about is watching my team hold up a Lombardi trophy again and I don't think we can do that by just being the fighting Dak Prescott's.
Okay.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Right on.

Romo killer? LOL You guys keep bringing up Romo for some reason.

Point of fact in terms of team record Romo vs. Dak:

Romo 78 Wins 49 Losses 61.4% Win %

Dak 42 Wins 27 Losses 53.2% Win %

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
…..until its the NFL. Not dismissing Trevor, but what do you expect when it's men he's facing, and not throwing on just 1 read routes, or the WRs that are more talented than DBs he's facing?
Then we'll do the checklist.

He's too athletic. That's the problem.

These guys like him who can also run like WR's can take bad plays and turn them into big plays.

If Deshaun Watson can translate what I saw from him in college into being a "successful" NFL QB then Lawrence should have no problems.

Flamma

Reaction score

Problem is those guys are rookies and lets say those rookies all hit.. It still takes those guys time to develop so there is no quick fix.

All the while the Oline gets a little older and have become less dependable.. Zeke becomes less and less explosive and we have to act like his 3 yards and a cloud of dust is valuable.

There is a TON of teams with QB's on rookie deals for the next 5 years. They will have all of the advantages.

When Dallas signs Dak at best we may open a 1 or 2 year window towards the end of his deal but for the next couple of years we should remain pretty mediocre because that's our floor with him.

Not to mention.. Dak is aging.. One of the best things about him on the field was he could move. He could get out and run. I don't want Dak Prescott on my team for his golden arm and QB skill because what he does as a pure passer is nothing special.

I know Washington doesn't have a QB but I actually really like their roster going forward because of what they did with their front 7 on defense.

I know they don't have all of the cool WR's and big name RB like we do but they are built to win championships if they can just get a QB. Missing on Haskins hurts but they can move on pretty easy since he is on a rookie deal.

Not a single thing I can disagree with, there just isn't. And this is what we're seeing in real time. You can have all of the flashy WRs in the world, but if your OL is struggling, it's all for naught. But if you have a really solid OL, like we had in 2016, we didn't need a bunch of flashy WRs. Hell, Dallas was kicking *** when Dez was hurt.

Corso

Reaction score
Romo killer? LOL You guys keep bringing up Romo for some reason.

Point of fact in terms of team record Romo vs. Dak:

Romo 78 Wins 49 Losses 61.4% Win %

Dak 42 Wins 27 Losses 53.2% Win %
Hey man, relax.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if the posters here slamming him for the team record of 1-3 were doing the same when the record he had compiled was much better than that?

Why don't posters just admit it, you don't like him as the DC QB and want another and this is just Romo on replay? It's OK, you can dislike him for any reason you want but just remain consistent.

I want to know what QB you want? You want Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson? Think they can do better with this team? Or do you want Lawrence, Fields or Trask? Have you watched the pockets they get to play in? Do they look anything like what any Cowboys QB has to play in? And all 3 of those teams have a defense, what do the Cowboys have?

As good a players as Staubach and Aikman were, they wouldn't have rings without those defenses. Defenses are built to win; offenses are built to entertain.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

That's total bull**** and just your opinion.

Motorola

Reaction score
Absolutely not true, @acr731 !!!

What does the score say??? (below in pic)

Screenshot-20201203-175849-You-Tube.jpg

I hate posting this picture of Dak's gruesome injury, but it's the only way to prove you wrong and hope you stop saying such falsehoods.
:facepalm:

For the record, DAK ENDED UP WINNING THE GAME AGAINST THE GIANTS, so that left his record at 2-3 (which should have been 4-1 had our Defense ever shown up to play).
'America's Cowboy' - the photo in your post proves you are wrong. Prescott leaves the game with more than 6 minutes left in the 3rd qtr. The Cowboys lose the lead, then gain it back - both happening with Dalton at QB.
The sports world and its followers for a long time compared quarterback starts in football to pitcher starts in baseball ( which shouldn't be done, in my opinion -but that won't ever change).
Since it continues to be done, however, we shouldn't attribute the win over the Giants to Prescott. He left the contest with the lead; but just like a pitcher- if his team gives up the lead in his absence, the game's outcome does not go on his record. The win or loss is awarded to a relief pitcher.

But by football standards, Prescott was the quarterback that started and played most of the game, so he erroneously gets the win put on his "won-loss" record.