CFZ You Guys Are Ready for the Zeke Return. Right?

stiletto

Reaction score
I mean it might be one of those "comes running back with his tail between his legs" things but if the Cowboys were still interested in Zeke, I really doubt they would have given his number to Gilmore. That was a "we're done with Zeke" move if I've ever seen one.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My name is Bennett and I ain't in it.
Then, why did you respond. i’m really curious if there’s any truth to that. I know he has definitely improved his blocking skills but better than Elliot, in that one circumstance I don’t think so.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Then, why did you respond. i’m really curious if there’s any truth to that. I know he has definitely improved his blocking skills but better than Elliot, in that one circumstance I don’t think so.
My response was ohhhhhh. Which denotes a question. I swear guys are so on edge here that every post is interpreted as a micro aggression.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
~Return of the Zeke~ It is!
~Return of the Zeke~ Come on!
~Return of the Zeke~ OMG!
~You know that I'll be back~ Here I am!
~Return of the Zeke~ Once again!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I doubt Zeke is likely to make his comeback with the Cowboys, if there is one. If he does, we'll deserve exactly what we'll get. Our front office is known for making foolish mistakes, so I wouldn't be surprised, in the least, if it somehow occurs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt Zeke is likely to make his comeback with the Cowboys, if there is one. If he does, we'll deserve exactly what we'll get. Our front office is known for making foolish mistakes, so I wouldn't be surprised, in the least, if it somehow occurs. :rolleyes:
How would it be foolish?

diamonddelts

Reaction score
The return of Emmit. It's inevitable.

The return of Tony. Why not?

The return of Moose. Straight out of the booth.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I among those who thinks Zeke may return. It's merely a mild prediction, not a "I hope it happens."
The reason I say is because Zeke isn't getting any interest in the free agent market, and the Cowboys seem committed to the run this year.
It doesn't appear they have a power back, who is going to be needed if a commitment to the run is what Dallas and McCarthy desire of the offense.
And just like last year with the receivers, I just don't think Dallas has done enough to address the weakness in its short running game.
Be that as it may, I acknowledge I could be very wrong. Once teams let go a player, its rare they reacquire him. And, even if Dallas does want to do it, Zeke will have to swallow his pride and accept a less valuable contract for reduced services. I don't know if he would want to do that.
I predict if Dallas doesn't do something to improve its running back position, we're going to be searching for backs.
Would Zeke get the call, assuming he's not with another club? Would he answer given what Dallas would be willing to pay him in a reduced role?
We'll see.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I among those who thinks Zeke may return. It's merely a mild prediction, not a "I hope it happens."
The reason I say is because Zeke isn't getting any interest in the free agent market, and the Cowboys seem committed to the run this year.
It doesn't appear they have a power back, who is going to be needed if a commitment to the run is what Dallas and McCarthy desire of the offense.
And just like last year with the receivers, I just don't think Dallas has done enough to address the weakness in its short running game.
Be that as it may, I acknowledge I could be very wrong. Once teams let go a player, its rare they reacquire him. And, even if Dallas does want to do it, Zeke will have to swallow his pride and accept a less valuable contract for reduced services. I don't know if he would want to do that.
I predict if Dallas doesn't do something to improve its running back position, we're going to be searching for backs.
Would Zeke get the call, assuming he's not with another club? Would he answer given what Dallas would be willing to pay him in a reduced role?
We'll see.
I have been following zeke for 12 years now. It seems to me he'd rather BE on a team at reduced rate and role...then sit at home.

Kinda like...I am certain they did...when Cowboys asked him to play hurt. But of course he said yes...knowing he would be hampered.

He wants to play. He's just seeing things through here. Patience will serve him well.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Trust me. I want to move on as well. I see these new guys as the future. My only regret is that I was unable to squeeze a guy like Aaron Shampklin or Quadree Ollison on the roster because I was holding on to a spot.

This whole "Top 5" conversation the Cowboys are having is because they obviously want to be flexible. And they obviously view Tyler Smith the starter over Tyron. I mean, let's be honest. If we start Tyron, we can rest assured he will be injured for some games. He wasn't great at RT last year, but he played admirably when he came back. If he can ever stay fit, and maintain his health, he could actually have a longer career.

Broadus was talking about why the Cowboys wouldn't just let go of Tyrone Smith, like, they say, he's preventing them from doing things, because they're afraid to move on from his legacy, personal sentiment, and attachment to the player. To be fair to Broadus, who I noticed picked up his game through the draft process, in the media, at least, this was in the context of who the Best 5 were.

I was hating on Broaddus earlier in this season, but, at the same time, I gotta give him credit. When he's paying attention, he has an interesting, if not often affirming perspective. He is also ballsy enough to give Iisha credit for scouting players. She's young. But let her keep at this. She has something to her. If she can brush off the haters and just be herself, I can see her puling a Hellman up outta there, and hope she doesn't Bayless.. For the time he spends on it, he has some decent perspective.

I think the most intelligent approach is that you plan on Tyron being the swing. And you find situations where Tyler Smith can go to guard. He can flex without missing too much of a beat, because, if you can't tell, he also came from a football family. He helps you if you can somehow keep him healthy enough to manage to keep him on the roster, because he's quality depth.

If Tyron starts . . . , well, I think that's a mistake, just based on history, and could put you in a hole early on. You want to develop your talent, and have equity built up to back it up, so you shouldn't risk your injury-prone backup. His number one focus should be getting in shape, and staying healthy.

On the other hand, if he comes into camp and just wants to compete for a job like everyone else, more power to him. So we do need to be prepared. And you just can't have a first round OL at every position.

That said, it's for these same reasons that Zeke comes back. He won't be able to let go. I sense there may be some kind of agreement.

He's coming back. I think they have planned for him to come back. And the media is just rolling along with.
I think the only way Elliott is brought back is if the running back plan this year works out like the wide receiver plan last year. In other words, Pollard would have to be slow coming off his injury, Jones would have to be a James Washington-caliber bust as a free agent and Vaughn would have to be not ready to step in like Tolbert wasn't.

As much as I think Elliott is better than what some say on here, that the main reason for his fall-off the last couple of years has been injuries to his lower body, he did finish poorly the last two years and his average dropped to 3.8 last year. I think the Cowboys understand that he's at that point where the injuries tend to crop up and take a running back's legs out from under him. Doesn't mean he's still not better than what we've got, but I think the team wants to see if that's the case before making any kind of move there.

I don't think the Tyron situation is quite comparable for several reasons.

First, Tyron is still playing at a high level when he's out there. So we're a better team with him in the lineup even if he's not going to be in the lineup the whole season.

Second, at running back, you can only have one starter, while you need five for the line to operate. That means you need your five best as starters, and Tyron is still one of our five best when healthy.

Third, Tyron took a paycut to stay. It's possible if he had refused to do that that we would have moved on from him.

Fourth, we've got his future tackle replacement already, but Tyler's ability to also be a standout guard gives us the flexibility to start Tyron and then shift Tyler to LT when Tyron misses time. Now, I would have preferred to see a better plan at guard when that injury happens, but it looks like we'll have to settle for Edoga, Farniok, Richards or Bass. (I think the best option might prove to be keeping Tyler at guard and starting Waletzko at LT, but we'll see.)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
A lot of the off-season remains, but it’s a bit concerning how the Cowboys are treating the RB depth.

Reminds me of their blasé approach they had with the WR position in 2018 and again last year.

Pollard is a stud but he’s coming off a serious injury. We grabbed Ronald Jones off the scrap heap and didn’t select a young every down back in one of the deepest RB classes in a while.

Yes, we took Vaughn. I like him on the roster but in a very specific role.

If Pollard’s recovery unexpectedly lags or lingers, we’re suddenly looking at heavy snaps for Ronald Jones which doesn’t scare anyone.

I would actually prefer bringing Zeke back for the same money we’re paying Jones.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He’s a first down , on third down. Making machine. One of the best if not the actual best blocking running back in the league right now. I have no problems taking him back for the right money. He never hurts the camaraderie. Nothing but upside.
With any other team your point is true, but with this team, he has the "pull" to have some carries allocated for him.

Rather not have that dynamic going on in the locker room. Best man deserves the playing time.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I have been following zeke for 12 years now. It seems to me he'd rather BE on a team at reduced rate and role...then sit at home.

Kinda like...I am certain they did...when Cowboys asked him to play hurt. But of course he said yes...knowing he would be hampered.

He wants to play. He's just seeing things through here. Patience will serve him well.
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
He may WANT to play, but if his body can't take the punishment, he may have no choice but to right into the sunset.
Be that as it may, that's why I add "playing with a reduced role."
He may be willing to accept his fate, which is no longer being the preferred back. So he may say, "Forget this. I've made enough money to enjoy my retirement."
We'll see.