Young outruns the field, is top offensive rookie

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1286837 said:
The Heisman was handed out prior to that game. Young had a game late in the season where he really needed to come up big and had a down game. Bush on the other hand continued to put up some big numbers enough so that he won the award. I'm a big Texas fan but I think Bush deserved the award last season.

Could not disagree more. I know exactly which game you are speaking of. For Young, I believe it was the Texas A&M Game. Texas won convincingly but Vince Young was only 13 of 24 for 162 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT and 3 sacks. Conversly, Bush had a huge game against Fresno State, over 500 combined yards or something. However, the very next game, Young and Texas bounce back with a 70-3 Victory in the conference championship game over Colorado. Young went for 250 yards total, 4 TDs and 14-17 with 1 INT in just a little over two quarters. In the head to head, he totally dominated. I don't like to say that this player or that player won a game but in the case of Young, he was the reason Texas beat USC for the NC game. He out played Bush and Leinart to win that game.

To me, the problem is that the Heisman is voted on before the season is done. How can anybody be judged the best player if the body of work is not complete? My opinion is that had the vote been taken after the Rose Bowl, the results of the Heisman would have been very different. That is my opinion but I have heard several people comment on the same thing this past year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1286924 said:
Could not disagree more. I know exactly which game you are speaking of. For Young, I believe it was the Texas A&M Game. Texas won convincingly but Vince Young was only 13 of 24 for 162 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT and 3 sacks. Conversly, Bush had a huge game against Fresno State, over 500 combined yards or something. However, the very next game, Young and Texas bounce back with a 70-3 Victory in the conference championship game over Colorado. Young went for 250 yards total, 4 TDs and 14-17 with 1 INT in just a little over two quarters. In the head to head, he totally dominated. I don't like to say that this player or that player won a game but in the case of Young, he was the reason Texas beat USC for the NC game. He out played Bush and Leinart to win that game.

To me, the problem is that the Heisman is voted on before the season is done. How can anybody be judged the best player if the body of work is not complete? My opinion is that had the vote been taken after the Rose Bowl, the results of the Heisman would have been very different. That is my opinion but I have heard several people comment on the same thing this past year.

I agree that if the voting was done after the Bowl games then Young wins it. I'm only dealing with how it is, not how it should be and given that and watching both guys play up to that point Bush deserved it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1286928 said:
I agree that if the voting was done after the Bowl games then Young wins it. I'm only dealing with how it is, not how it should be and given that and watching both guys play up to that point Bush deserved it.

Doesn't really matter now. Bush is the Heisman winner for 05. Not a fair deal to me but life is not fair. I guess I'll just have to console myself with the NC.

;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1286932 said:
Doesn't really matter now. Bush is the Heisman winner for 05. Not a fair deal to me but life is not fair. I guess I'll just have to console myself with the NC.

;)

I like both of these guys and your right IF the voting took place at the end Young I think wins it. However that is not how it is done and given that fact Bush at that stage did deserve it. Like you I would like to see the voting held off until the final Bowl game is played.