Young outruns the field, is top offensive rookie

superpunk

Reaction score
joseephuss;1285390 said:
But who is saying that he is going to stay as a running QB? Most people I see say that Young still needs to progress as a passer. I don't think I have seen anyone say that he will be successful if he doesn't improve that aspect of his game. Even the staunchest of Young supporters. The question is whether he can do that. I don't know the answer to that one. It will take some time, but he may be able to do it.

That was where the doubt stemmed from for most all along. Whether he has what it takes to do that. The shotgun read and run does not work in the NFL. He has yet to show he can operate outside of that - which IMO is why people who are skeptical take offense to the idea that they should admit being wrong. I've already decided that I'm wrong on him. The way he glides and appears so clutch (my Eli theory notwithstanding) has done it for me so far. But he's done nothing to convince the skeptics that they were wrong. All he's done so far is no different than any other amazing athlete at QB - come in and take the league by surprise. I admit, something SEEMS different about him, but there's nothing concrete.

Hence, continued skepticism, based on historical precedent. Yippee! :D

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1285404 said:
Facts suck, huh?

What facts are you talking about? That he had a successful rookie season. Much more successful than you imagined he ever would. I am not saying he was the best QB in the NFL, but he did pretty good for a rookie on a rebuilding team. Does that fact bother you? I would gladly take a QB that has that high winning percentage. That is what I like about Romo. His winning percentage is close. Could be better, but it is a start. It is about winning games.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;1285433 said:
What facts are you talking about? That he had a successful rookie season. Much more successful than you imagined he ever would. I am not saying he was the best QB in the NFL, but he did pretty good for a rookie on a rebuilding team. Does that fact bother you? I would gladly take a QB that has that high winning percentage. That is what I like about Romo. His winning percentage is close. Could be better, but it is a start. It is about winning games.

Good QBs complete passes. Vince Young is a great athlete, a winner, and a motivator. He is not a good QB.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Here's a list for you to compile HH... List of QBs who had a winning streak of 6 games or more this season.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;1285449 said:
Here's a list for you to compile HH... List of QBs who had a winning streak of 6 games or more this season.

His record as a starter was 8-5, fairly average. People assume that Tennessee has no talent. Their defense has been making plays all year and they have a great kciker who has won several games. They are a good team. Vince Young just gave them an emotional spark.

It's not like VY has been winning games without any help.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
superpunk;1285414 said:
That was where the doubt stemmed from for most all along. Whether he has what it takes to do that. The shotgun read and run does not work in the NFL. He has yet to show he can operate outside of that - which IMO is why people who are skeptical take offense to the idea that they should admit being wrong. I've already decided that I'm wrong on him. The way he glides and appears so clutch (my Eli theory notwithstanding) has done it for me so far. But he's done nothing to convince the skeptics that they were wrong. All he's done so far is no different than any other amazing athlete at QB - come in and take the league by surprise. I admit, something SEEMS different about him, but there's nothing concrete.

But one must admit that, in turn, the NFL must prove that he has to. Don't get me wrong, I agree that he must develope his passing skills. However, to this point, the NFL has not shown that they can stop the skills he currently has. He is not what I would consider an above average passer as yet. In truth, he may never get to that point. Personally, I think he will but I don't exclude the possability of him not developing in this regard. It is a definate possability. Bottom line, at least to this point, is that he is winning and it's not because the team is carring him. He's contributing greatly to the winning efforts. That should be recoginzed and as ROY, it has been.

I look forward to what the future holds for Vince Young.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
superpunk;1285414 said:

I assume you are referring to my post......I should have been more articulate:

The post refers to those that said he would be a "Bust". His play this season should at least exclude him from that category.

I do have a list of those that made that prediction, it also includes those that said he was too stupid......but being the gentleman that I am... I will not post it.

I concede The book is still open on Mr Young.....but my money says he'll make it in this league.

gbrittain

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1285459 said:
His record as a starter was 8-5, fairly average. People assume that Tennessee has no talent. Their defense has been making plays all year and they have a great kciker who has won several games. They are a good team. Vince Young just gave them an emotional spark.

Yet there are tons of QBs out there winning games with no help.:confused:

superpunk

Reaction score
Clearly he’s the ROY - clearly. Colston’s injury ensured that.

The NFL has proven that it cannot stop pinpoint passing, perfect timing, great reads, and getting the ball to playmakers. What the NFL has shown - EVERY TIME - is that it can stop what Vince Young has brought to the table so far. There is no exception.

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1285448 said:
Good QBs complete passes. Vince Young is a great athlete, a winner, and a motivator. He is not a good QB.

I didn't say he was a good QB. He is a good rookie QB. You really can't expect lights out stats from most rookie QBs. Aikman's numbers were horrible his first two years in the league.

Good QBs don't only complete passes. That isn't the only way to judge a QB. Good QBs also win and motivate. Heck, that is more indicative of a good QB than actually completing passes. Aikman and Staubach were very good at completing passes, but their greater value to the Cowboys was their ability to win and motivate. You can learn to pass the ball better, but it is very difficult to learn how to win, how to motivate and how to lead.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score

OK... Duck it...

There are 3. Peyton Manning, Rex Grossman, and Philip Rivers

Indy = 3rd ranked offense
Chicago = 5th ranked defense (69 points given up in the first 7 games)
San Diego = 4th ranked offense, and LT

Tennessee = 32nd ranked defense, 27th ranked offense, Travis Henry had 1200 yards and 7 TDs

Oh and since you mentioned their great kicker... he was 5-10 on kicks over 40 yards.

joseephuss

Reaction score
superpunk;1285474 said:
Clearly he’s the ROY - clearly. Colston’s injury ensured that.

The NFL has proven that it cannot stop pinpoint passing, perfect timing, great reads, and getting the ball to playmakers. What the NFL has shown - EVERY TIME - is that it can stop what Vince Young has brought to the table so far. There is no exception.

I don't know, they have proven to stop Peyton Manning in the playoffs every year so far. :D

What the NFL has really proven is that all QBs must develop and improve all their skills or they won't have a good chance of succeeding. That doesn't matter if they are good runner or not. Bledsoe has shown that he could not get better. He came in and had some early success, but he did not improve and teams can now very easily stop him.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Young had a better college career than Vick and he's been a better passer and better runner in the pros so far. So why is it so hard for you to believe he will be better than Vick? Hell, he already is.

The Titans might have made the playoffs had they started Vince from day 1.

rcaldw

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1285314 said:
Phillip Rivers
Steve McNair
Peyton Manning
Rex Grossman
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Jeff Garcia
Chad Pennington

Nice try, though :lmao:

I'm sorry Heavy, but I don't see how this makes your point. He is in the top 10 in winning pct of games started (including our own Tony Romo), in his rookie season, inheriting a 4-12 team that was 0-3 when he took it over. How is this an indictment?

Also, you said in one of your posts, he is:

1. A great athlete
2. A winner
3. A great motivator

but then:

4. Not a great QB.

Can you tell me how you can be a winner at the QB position and not be considered successful? And don't throw Rex Grossman at me because we all know that the Bears win in spite of Grossman most of the time here lately. Vince Young is actually making plays that give them victories. How can that be considered less than successful?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I've watched Tennesse a great deal this year and I do not concure. Defensively, this is the worse Tennessee team I've seen with the possible exception of the first year. They are last in total defense in the entire NFL. They are second to last in scoring defense. This is not a defensive team that has been making plays all year long. There kicker is no great shakes so far as I know. He's middle of the pack at best. As for Young being 8-5 and only grading out as average, I have to disagree with you again. In fact, in the NFL this year, only 8 QBs were better then 8-5 this season. Those QBs were Brady, Pennington, McNair, Payton Manning, Rivers, Brees and Grossman. In that group, all have at least 3 years experience. That means at least 23 did not post as good a record. That, to me, does not qualify as average.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Payton34Smith22;1285491 said:
The Titans might have made the playoffs had they started Vince from day 1.

Perhaps, but chances are they would not have.

They played the Jets at home and two road games against tough defenses in Miami and San Diego before they played Dallas at home. We all saw how he played against us. They could have had the same results, very easily.

Tennessee also had a very unsure and beaten up offensive line early in the season and didn't even settle on their running back until after they played the Cowboys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I can agree with this statement, to a point. However, it takes more then just one season in the NFL to determin if a young QB is good or not.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Yes...Yesss. I can feel your hatred for Vince Young. Strike him down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1285270 said:
Here's a fun little game: Let's list all the NFL QBs with a lower completion % than Vince Young

Whew!

Thank God.

You didn't respond til Post #92...going thru the pages, I was really worried you had done something to hurt yourself. ;)