Video: Zeke holding out? "Trade him" says Cowherd

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know which one you're talking about.
I have a super-crazy story about a Days Inn, but the one in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd..
There is zero way I will say it here because the mods might annihilate me, but... whoo!
Wild stuff goes on over there.

We stayed in that exact same one as well. It was our first trip to Cali and we left my sisters in SD to head to our new home in SF.

We made it to LA about 8 hours later after getting stuck on the 405(we didn’t know our way around traffic back then). We were tired and knew SF was a pipe dream that night, was already 11pm or so. We pulled into that crackhouse hotel and got a room for a whopping $29 :laugh:

The bars on our window was priceless and I imagine we needed it that night. It was so disgusting, we layered clothes on the bed just to get some rest. Those clothes were later donated at Goodwill :cool:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why would you hold out with TWO seasons left? That's stupid.

Even the 5th year option season... it's not exactly a franchise tag. Part of the presige of being a 1st round pick comes with the agreement of the 5th year team option, which is signed to before a player's rookie year. Players must be accountable and held to the contracts they sign. The commissioner should banish a player that holds out from a contract that they already agreed upon. Holdouts should only be legal for players receiving the franchise tag, because that is completely against their will.
Why would I hold out?

I wouldn't. But we're not talking about me here... unless we are.

Altestic

Reaction score
Why would I hold out?

I wouldn't. But we're not talking about me here... unless we are.
Talking about Zeke of course. Why would he hold out with TWO seasons left of his contract? That's unheard of.

Corso

Reaction score
Talking about Zeke of course. Why would he hold out with TWO seasons left of his contract? That's unheard of.
Hence why I said he won't.
This is a pleasant conversation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Totally back on Topic:
I don't think Zeke is going to hold out this year.
I agree with @Idgit that this is more of a ploy that started itself and he and his agent are just riding the wave.

Corso, you snuck up on me Brother! Is it Corso time already? Day kinda flew past me.

You know it's interesting and don't get me wrong, I would believe just about any version of this story but can't remember who was commenting on this, they were saying that it would not surprise them if the Cowboys started this whole story to try and leverage Dak. The idea being that if you slide this story out there and then you kinda let it catch fire, you can make the point to Dak that the demands he's making are messing with other, very important pieces to the puzzle. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if that were true but it was just a slant, nothing to confirm validity.

superonyx

Reaction score
No, not really. The CFL point, yes. The other, well, the proof is in the putting. Your point is that the Team believes he will be paid as the highest RB in the League correct? If that's the case, then why isn't he signed?

Nobody has said they wouldn't pay him. Just not like Gurley is the point. Everybody knows that he isn't going to make QB money. That's not really a revelation but the point is still valid, if the team were willing to pay him Gurley money, why isn't the deal done? Why are we talking about holding out?
You don’t understand how this works?
Why would the team just willingly give away more money earlier than they needed to? It would make no sense. It’s weird that you are asking why the team hasn’t done this when it would be strange if they have.

Stephen Jones clearly said they would look at the Gurley deal and work from their. How did you read this and understand this to mean they wouldn’t want to pay him?

Corso

Reaction score
Corso, you snuck up on me Brother! Is it Corso time already? Day kinda flew past me.

You know it's interesting and don't get me wrong, I would believe just about any version of this story but can't remember who was commenting on this, they were saying that it would not surprise them if the Cowboys started this whole story to try and leverage Dak. The idea being that if you slide this story out there and then you kinda let it catch fire, you can make the point to Dak that the demands he's making are messing with other, very important pieces to the puzzle. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if that were true but it was just a slant, nothing to confirm validity.
Always great to talk to my friend in one of my favorite cities...
How's your son? I don't see him here very much. Taking care of his, I suspect.

I can see this happening. High-level negotiations are many-layered and involve all sorts of people with all sorts of ideas.
And we're dealing with a lot of Alpha personalities, especially with agents, so something wild, or under-the-table could definitely be going on.
On the negotiation level, of course.
I would never suggest true under-the-table things actually going on...

Never.

But this is a game. A game within the game and the rules are meant to be bent.
All I can say on this one is we'll see what we'll see when things happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You don’t understand how this works?
Why would the team just willingly give away more money earlier than they needed to? It would make no sense. It’s weird that you are asking why the team hasn’t done this when it would be strange if they have.

Stephen Jones clearly said they would look at the Gurley deal and work from their. How did you read this and understand this to mean they wouldn’t want to pay him?

I understand how this works completely. Ask yourself this, why would the team just willingly give away a horrible, moronic contract at all? That would indeed, make no sense at all. The team expressed interest in trying to extend Zeke in 2018. I mean, it's not a question of is there interest in doing this or is the team interested in doing it. It's a question of how much and how much hits in what cap year.
Thhe Gurley type contract for Zeke, then why isn't it already done? That question is to you.

superonyx

Reaction score
I understand how this works completely. Ask yourself this, why would the team just willingly give away a horrible, moronic contract at all? That would indeed, make no sense at all. The team expressed interest in trying to extend Zeke in 2018. I mean, it's not a question of is there interest in doing this or is the team interested in doing it. It's a question of how much and how much hits in what cap year.
Thhe Gurley type contract for Zeke, then why isn't it already done? That question is to you.
The answer is simple but you don’t seem to understand this.
If you had a business and your star employee was willing to work for $10 per hour. Would you just come to him and give him $30 an hour just for the heck of it? Who does that?

I almost feel uncomfortable trying to find a way to make this make sense to you without insulting your intelligence.
Your asking me why they haven’t just given away money to a guy who has a 5 year deal as he’s played 3. Isn’t it obvious? You don’t just give money away.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Always great to talk to my friend in one of my favorite cities...
How's your son? I don't see him here very much. Taking care of his, I suspect.

I can see this happening. High-level negotiations are many-layered and involve all sorts of people with all sorts of ideas.
And we're dealing with a lot of Alpha personalities, especially with agents, so something wild, or under-the-table could definitely be going on.
On the negotiation level, of course.
I would never suggest true under-the-table things actually going on...

Never.

But this is a game. A game within the game and the rules are meant to be bent.
All I can say on this one is we'll see what we'll see when things happen.

He's good Corso, he's just busy like you say, working 12 hour days, on the road a lot and his wife works as the grave yard manager at her job so they are both either working or watching the Boy. I'll tell him you said hey, when next I see him.

Yeah, it's funny you know. He and I talked about this situation a year or so ago. We agreed that we would probably offer Zeke a shorter term contract with stupid good money and just set up team option years on the back end. I mean, if you look at Gurley's contract, that's kinda how it works. I believe that Zeke is the most important Offensive player on the team and he should get paid but he is a knuckle head. That Boy is seriously lacking in some Common Sense, at times.

Under no circumstances am I in favor of paying Zeke a long term, expensive contract. No way, no how. See what happens I suppose.

Corso

Reaction score
He's good Corso, he's just busy like you say, working 12 hour days, on the road a lot and his wife works as the grave yard manager at her job so they are both either working or watching the Boy. I'll tell him you said hey, when next I see him.

Yeah, it's funny you know. He and I talked about this situation a year or so ago. We agreed that we would probably offer Zeke a shorter term contract with stupid good money and just set up team option years on the back end. I mean, if you look at Gurley's contract, that's kinda how it works. I believe that Zeke is the most important Offensive player on the team and he should get paid but he is a knuckle head. That Boy is seriously lacking in some Common Sense, at times.

Under no circumstances am I in favor of paying Zeke a long term, expensive contract. No way, no how. See what happens I suppose.
I am completely on this boat.
Short term. Good bucks, but have an out in 3, maybe 2.
Have an out in 2 and relook at the situation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The answer is simple but you don’t seem to understand this.
If you had a business and your star employee was willing to work for $10 per hour. Would you just come to him and give him $30 an hour just for the heck of it? Who does that?

I almost feel uncomfortable trying to find a way to make this make sense to you without insulting your intelligence.
Your asking me why they haven’t just given away money to a guy who has a 5 year deal as he’s played 3. Isn’t it obvious? You don’t just give money away.

Happened to me. I was Offered more then that hourly, much more then that hourly, to go hourly instead of a percentage of the Profits. I didn't do it but that did happen to me.

You should feel uncomfortable because I'm here telling you that I am far from stupid and there is no part of this discussion that I don't fully understand. So yes, you should feel that way but I know you don't because that's just a part of the line. It's completely obvious that you don't give away money which is why the Cowboys should never, ever give Zeke a Gurley deal. You only do a deal early if it is in the best interests of the team and player. You don't do it if it's a bad deal. That's what you call, giving away money, right there and I am really glad that after all of these hours, we are finally on the same page.

ArtClink

Reaction score

He makes a compelling case.

He sure does. The other thing that stood out is what Cowherd said about the other elite teams in NFL not putting up with distractions. Jerry loves the 3-ring circus, media headlines, and chaos and while that makes good reading, it's bad for winning and it's a distraction. Cowherd also cites teams that let top RBs go and they won without them. I have been saying Zeke is a great talent and durable, yet not worth paying after his contract expires. Run him in the ground, use all he has left in the tank, and let him take his distractions and immaturity to a team that allows BS. It's time to win a divisional playoff game.

dallas72

Reaction score
I love it
Easier said then done...if Zeke holds out like Emmitt did..were in trouble...Daks gonna be Overpaid..leaving little to none for Zeke,Jaylon, Byron and Amari...were gonna lose 1 or 2

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Happened to me. I was Offered more then that hourly, much more then that hourly, to go hourly instead of a percentage of the Profits. I didn't do it but that did happen to me.

You should feel uncomfortable because I'm here telling you that I am far from stupid and there is no part of this discussion that I don't fully understand. So yes, you should feel that way but I know you don't because that's just a part of the line. It's completely obvious that you don't give away money which is why the Cowboys should never, ever give Zeke a Gurley deal. You only do a deal early if it is in the best interests of the team and player. You don't do it if it's a bad deal. That's what you call, giving away money, right there and I am really glad that after all of these hours, we are finally on the same page.

Great response.

superonyx

Reaction score

Now throw in the scenario where the player holds out and the story is completely different.
I'm sure you will somehow pretend it isnt. Just like you pretended SJ said he would never pay Zeke like Gurley. Just stuff you tell yourself to feel better I guess.

I am not a fan of anyone holding out. If Zeke doesnt hold out I believe his contract will be larger than Gurleys.

You are pretending this conversation or disagreement was about offering Zeke a deal early just for the heck of it.
Now if Zeke holds out for a new contract then we can have a different conversation.

You may not want to give Zeke a large contract. I may. It doesnt matter what we want. It matter what the Jones want and are willing to do. Every indication is they are willing to extend Zeke when the time comes. You can pretend this isnt the case if you need to but there are no indications they would let someone walk away who they drafted 4th in the draft and who is considered top or top 3 player at his position.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Now throw in the scenario where the player holds out and the story is completely different.
I'm sure you will somehow pretend it isnt. Just like you pretended SJ said he would never pay Zeke like Gurley. Just stuff you tell yourself to feel better I guess.

I am not a fan of anyone holding out. If Zeke doesnt hold out I believe his contract will be larger than Gurleys.

You are pretending this conversation or disagreement was about offering Zeke a deal early just for the heck of it.
Now if Zeke holds out for a new contract then we can have a different conversation.

You may not want to give Zeke a large contract. I may. It doesnt matter what we want. It matter what the Jones want and are willing to do. Every indication is they are willing to extend Zeke when the time comes. You can pretend this isnt the case if you need to but there are no indications they would let someone walk away who they drafted 4th in the draft and who is considered top or top 3 player at his position.

Truth is, I am not opposed to giving Zeke a big deal but not a long deal. I only really changed my mind on this after I saw him make a series of questionable mistakes recently.

Be that as it may, think what you want but the truth is the truth. Zeke aint getting a Gurley deal this year and I doubt he ever gets one. Stephen did say more then you posted though.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I've said all along that if we can get a 1st rounder for him then trade him. If not then just keep him.

If you trade him for a 1st then you may as well trade Dak and Amari because the playoffs won't be in the Cowboys near future. May as well start the offensive rebuild.