Zeke needs to wake up and earn his money

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
no, its not......17% of running plays (4 out of 24). but what about the 44 pass plays. I can go through 20 plays and come up with more than 10 plays they stacked the line.....you reading wrongly into that stat and leaning too much into it
...the line was often stacked and play changed to pass..... come on rockport. I do like you, but this is silly trying to prove Zeke is not a good RB or something.....
Yet when Zeke did run he only got 50 yards

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You can disagree and still be wrong.

Yeah I hadn't thought about it but could it be that ESPN was counting the stacked boxes against pass plays? That would mean 11 of 65 offensive snaps? I certainly didn't look to see how many times they did stack and we threw against it.. But I mean.. isn't that what we were supposed to do?

Reactions: CWR

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yet when Zeke did run he only got 50 yards
yes, he did, because we only ran 24 times and the line was stacked.....even on the run defense you can see there is often 8 in the box...now, they also brough up a saftey just outside of the tackles to contain the outside runs, which is something the cowboys have done often.

when Zimmer. the head coach. the defensive head coach. the guy who runs the team. makes the defensive game plans says, we are going to focus on stopping the run, then any other outside source that says something...well, take it with a grain of salt.....they weren't in the planning room. they weren't there during the game. they don't know what the coaches did and what scheme they really ran....

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You can disagree and still be wrong.
NFL Next Gen stats has Zeke running against stacked boxes 12.5% of the time in week 8. I don’t know what they consider 8 in the box, but however they count it I would imagine it is consistent for all RBs and Zeke is typically substantially lower than Cowboys fans estimate when talking about stacking the box. Their math only facts in rush attempts against stacked boxes though (not total plays).

Many other RBs run against what NFL Next Gen Stats considers a stacked box more often than Zeke. For the season, they have Zeke running against stacked boxes on 20.34% of his carries. Based upon the math, NFL Next Gen Stats indicated Zeke has run against stacked boxes on 24 of his 118 carries this year.

There are 23 other blacks who have a greater percentage of rush attempts against stacked boxes than Zeke does this year, including Tony Pollard (22.06%).

Maybe there is some technical way they use to calculate the 8 man where it appears the box is stacked but they don’t count is as stacked, but the other backs would be subjected to the same technicalities and they still have higher stacked box percentages.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
NFL Next Gen stats has Zeke running against stacked boxes 12.5% of the time in week 8. I don’t know what they consider 8 in the box, but however they count it I would imagine it is consistent for all RBs and Zeke is typically substantially lower than Cowboys fans estimate when talking about stacking the box. Their math only facts in rush attempts against stacked boxes though (not total plays).

Many other RBs run against what NFL Next Gen Stats considers a stacked box more often than Zeke. For the season, they have Zeke running against stacked boxes on 20.34% of his carries. Based upon the math, NFL Next Gen Stats indicated Zeke has run against stacked boxes on 24 of his 118 carries this year.

There are 23 other blacks who have a greater percentage of rush attempts against stacked boxes than Zeke does this year, including Tony Pollard (22.06%).

Maybe there is some technical way they use to calculate the 8 man where it appears the box is stacked but they don’t count is as stacked, but the other backs would be subjected to the same technicalities and they still have higher stacked box percentages.
I'm not towing the "stacked box" line much. I think it's an overused and often times misused phrase. And to me, it doesn't matter. If a defense is preparing to specifically stop Dallas from running well, you can bring up players just outside the box and it's essentially the same as being in the box. And it doesn't always have to be a specific player. Which is what the Vikings did. They were betting on Cooper Rush struggling to pass. If Prescott was playing, our run game would have been much more productive. Beyond that, defenses can scheme against the run without 8 in the box. The Vikings did this as well.
To me it's really that simple.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
yes, he did, because we only ran 24 times and the line was stacked.....even on the run defense you can see there is often 8 in the box...now, they also brough up a saftey just outside of the tackles to contain the outside runs, which is something the cowboys have done often.

when Zimmer. the head coach. the defensive head coach. the guy who runs the team. makes the defensive game plans says, we are going to focus on stopping the run, then any other outside source that says something...well, take it with a grain of salt.....they weren't in the planning room. they weren't there during the game. they don't know what the coaches did and what scheme they really ran....
Again, yes the line was stacked 17% of the time on all running plays.

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah I hadn't thought about it but could it be that ESPN was counting the stacked boxes against pass plays? That would mean 11 of 65 offensive snaps? I certainly didn't look to see how many times they did stack and we threw against it.. But I mean.. isn't that what we were supposed to do?

I was counting for awhile in the second half, and saw a lot of 7 and 8 in the box.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Again, yes the line was stacked 17% of the time on all running plays.
on plays that ended up running the ball. and Zimmer said the goal was to focus and take zeke and pollard out of the game. there is more than one way to do that. its not just stacking the box, which is what you are assuming and equating to stopping the run.

and lets not get ticky tacky over one game...Dak had 230 yards against SD....but he was critical to the win. with just 230 yards. about the same against Philly, where it was the running game that got philly.

should we say Dak is not earned his money?

we know better than that....

now, you may not like Zeke's contract.....and you complained about him not earning his money, where at this point its not about that....its about zeke being one of the better RBs in the league and no denying that. at this point I don't care about money. its water under the bridge. its about what a player brings to the table and at this point there is no alternative and no, Pollard is not the alternative as if he is primary his performance will drop and its the combination that's killing the defenses... and what are you going to suggest? bench Zeke? cut him? now!!!

plus, Zeke earned some of his money against Minny. he may not have had a great night rushing, but that last play he made, breaking 4 tackles was the game. it was the third down. perhaps we score a field goal and tie the game. but not gauranteed to win the game and have 3 chances at the endzone like we did.

you rag on people hating on Dak and his contract.
you are hating on Zeke and his contract...

perhaps now you understand their mentality.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I'm not towing the "stacked box" line much. I think it's an overused and often times misused phrase. And to me, it doesn't matter. If a defense is preparing to specifically stop Dallas from running well, you can bring up players just outside the box and it's essentially the same as being in the box. And it doesn't always have to be a specific player. Which is what the Vikings did. They were betting on Cooper Rush struggling to pass. If Prescott was playing, our run game would have been much more productive. Beyond that, defenses can scheme against the run without 8 in the box. The Vikings did this as well.
To me it's really that simple.
Well stated!!

Reactions: G2

MarcusRock

Reaction score

So you're saying Christian McCaffrey and most fullbacks don't count in these tallies? Lol.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Here is the link to the stats. You can do with it as you wish. If you have a problem with it, they are the NFL stats, not mine.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#yards

If you think about it.. running backs are SUPPOSED to get most of their runs against light boxes.. That's how offenses are designed to work.. Smart QBs audible to runs when they see a light box and to passes when they see heavy box. So it actually makes sense.. I doubt any back in the league actually runs against 8 man box more than 30-35% of the time. Unless they have a rookie QB or a stupid OC. Or both.. In retrospect the whole "they don't stack the box on most of his runs" argument is silly. They don't stack the box on most of anybody's runs..