Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is why Jax took Leonard Fournette this year in the draft at #4 and not Marshon Lattimore or Deshaun Watson

Not like they could have used a QB anyway. They have Bortles.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Sherman, I doubt it. Poor example. But they would definitely take a young Ramsey over Bell. 10 years of shut down corner play? Doesnt compare. They would just go out and take another RB in the draft. When Bell was out last year they actually didnt miss beat with the run game.
What CB has stayed with one team for 10 years and remained at shut down level?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
For me the debate also has to include cost considerations.

At the time when Zeke was taken 4th overall he was subsequently signed to a contract (at the time at least) that instantly made him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid RB in the league IIRC. Because of the position he plays, Ramsey’s deal made him something like the 42nd highest paid DB in the league.

Both are arguably in the Top 3 at their respective positions, but the Jags are getting a steal because CB is a premier position that you always pay retail for.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It's been 2 full seasons (minus a bogus 6 game suspension)! Zeke won a rushing title his rookie year and probably would've won a second consecutive rushing title had he not served a 6 game suspension in the middle of the season.

Jalen Ramsey is considered to be a top corner in the National Football League and typically covers the #1 WR on the opposing team.

The Cowboys had an opportunity to draft either player 2 years ago and selected Zeke. At the time I really wanted Jalen Ramsey; however, I'm a bit torn now. I think Zeke is extremely important to this team (probably more important than most people think). With the emergence of Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, and Anthony Brown - I feel pretty 'ok' with our secondary, but Ramsey/Awuzie/Lewis & possibly Brown would be stellar in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

This was also a tough call for me a couple of years ago, but i went with Zeke. If not for the baggage i would still say Zeke hands down. I think his 3rd year will answer this question for most everyone. If Zeke has a clean year (no distractions or stupid stunts) then i think it will show he has grown up and make his pick the correct one but if more off field crap happens this year then i would have to change my mind and say we should have gone with Ramsey ( who is also a stud by the way and is everything everyone thought he was before he draft)

rkell87

Reaction score
Had we resigned Murray who most on this board couldn’t wait to get rid of, Ramsey would have been the pick. Zeke is better than Murray but there are off the field concerns with him and Murray was more than good enough. Turns out we kept the wrong player between Dez and Murray.
If we kept Murray we may not(probably not) draft high enough to draft Ramsey but I agree, Ramsey is the pick at 4 if Murray is still here, and the team would be in better shape.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is that why Jax took Fournette over Lattimore this year??

If it was such a landslide why not take the CB???

They already had Ivory and TYeldon at RB

Why would they take a CB at 4 when they just spent money on Bouye and had Ramsey?

Ivory and Yeldon aren't that great that you don't try to upgrade them.

And frankly, they ***** up taking Fournette. They should have taken a QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
For me the debate also has to include cost considerations.

At the time when Zeke was taken 4th overall he was subsequently signed to a contract (at the time at least) that instantly made him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid RB in the league IIRC. Because of the position he plays, Ramsey’s deal made him something like the 42nd highest paid DB in the league.

Both are arguably in the Top 3 at their respective positions, but the Jags are getting a steal because CB is a premier position that you always pay retail for.

Making it even more puzzling was the fact the Jones' themselves said 12 months earlier that investing a lot of money in the RB position was something they didn't want to do because their analysis basically showed you don't get that return on the investment and RBs wear down moreso than most positions, etc.

Then the 4-12 season happens and their philosophy on TBs changes and they grab Elliott.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Zeke then, Zeke now, and Zeke till he his done. Elite bellcows are more important to a team than elite CBs. You can shutdown someone all day but if you can't score it doesn't matter.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
lol for the record, NO ONE considers CB to be in the same tier as QB, LT, and DE. You just made that up.

There's the QB, the guys that protect the QB, and the guys that pass rush the QB. And that's your premier positions. Every other position in football is made easier by those 3.
lol for the record, NO ONE considers CB to be in the same tier as QB, LT, and DE. You just made that up.

There's the QB, the guys that protect the QB, and the guys that pass rush the QB. And that's your premier positions. Every other position in football is made easier by those 3.

How do you have a conversation with a rookie? Those 4 positions are called the 4 cornerstones of your football team. Is common knowledge.

Educate yourself:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tions-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Emmitt was a rb. Zeke is a rb. Emmitt played behind a great OL. Zeke played behind a great OL in 2016. Rb's can be found much later in the draft...so you say. You like Ramsey, I and others here like Zeke. We get it.

Yep, there will always be some that cant be unbiased. And really it comes down to what type of team you have. If you have two great corners already and back is the one missing piece, then maybe you go for it. But knowing what we know now, especially with the suspension and one strike, only a fool would take Zeke over a top 5 corner in his 2nd season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is a legitimate generational talent. Ramsey is a top tier corner, but not an all-time great. In my opinion, the only argument for taking Ramsey over Zeke is that Ramsey plays a more impactful position where it is more difficult to find good talent, which is a perfectly valid stance.

So without Zeke in 2015 Dak would have won 13 games all by himself?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At Best Ramsey covers one guy. Maybe half the field, but Ramsey is not Deion.

I see the comments about taking a RB in the 2-4th round. And I marvel that some of these same people were complaining about Murray. A second rounder who lead the league. So Dallas had the running back but some of you whined about how expensive he was.

So there is your Ramsey pick. It was allowed to walk to a competitor in this division because the draft wizards on this site and in the front office thought you could just go out and grab you a RB just any ole time.

Zeke was the pick then. Zeke is the pick now.

I think some of you play far too much Madden and don't stay enough in a Holiday Inn Express.

I think some / many do not actually keep up on the team and the other teams and NFL in general. They just repeat and / or form opinions of what they read and hear. They form those based on their own perspective toward Jerry / coach / player and their own demeanor toward life too. Then they give a quick one liner quip with no explanation.

Of course this is just my opinion and some may or may not agree. Some may not care, and some will say I am full of crap. :laugh:
So be it. :laugh:

I have a few friends that do this. They will hear something then cherry pick their thoughts and opinions. We all do it at times but some all the time. And this is rather they are being negative or positive. But mostly it's from the negative crowd. Again IMO though.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think a team that wants to control the clock needs an elite RB. Nor do they have to automatically use a Top 5 pick to get one.

You built an elite OL. You didn’t need a generational TB. You just need a good one and then a big time defense.

If you want to control the clock (and tempo) on the ground you need an elite RB. NE does it through the air with the short passing game and that's a different animal. And it's not JUST controlling the clock (and tempo) - it's taking pressure off the passing game - making defenses put significant focus on stopping the run which opens up opportunities for the passing game.

The Cowboys are using a similar philosophy as the Cowboys from Garrett's playing days, and that would not have worked without an elite RB like Emmitt. As for having to use a top 5 pick to get that RB, top 5 just happened to be where they were picking that year. And of course there is a chance the team could have gotten a RB in later rounds, but no draft picks are certain, and the point of picking earlier is to make the odds better.

Something else I think is worth noting is the same arguments you are using against Elliott also apply to Ramsey. Quality CB's can also be found in later rounds, and it doesn't take a generational CB to win.

visionary

Reaction score
If we hadn't drafted Zeke, Dak likely has a poor season and we pick a QB in 2017 draft or Romo comes back

Hmmmm..