Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been 2 full seasons (minus a bogus 6 game suspension)! Zeke won a rushing title his rookie year and probably would've won a second consecutive rushing title had he not served a 6 game suspension in the middle of the season.

Jalen Ramsey is considered to be a top corner in the National Football League and typically covers the #1 WR on the opposing team.

The Cowboys had an opportunity to draft either player 2 years ago and selected Zeke. At the time I really wanted Jalen Ramsey; however, I'm a bit torn now. I think Zeke is extremely important to this team (probably more important than most people think). With the emergence of Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, and Anthony Brown - I feel pretty 'ok' with our secondary, but Ramsey/Awuzie/Lewis & possibly Brown would be stellar in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

Zeke.

My concern with Ramsey was that he had microfracture surgery on his knee in High School.

Problems with that are likely after 2 to 3 years.

mardwin

Reaction score
In the modern NFL cover corners are much valuable commodities than running backs. You need to be able to take away your opponents #1 receiving threat or otherwise you'll be in for a long day. Both Ramsey and Zeke are all-pro caliber players at their respective positions, Dallas' decision to go with the running back was the correct one because at the time the front office understood their defensive talent limitation. They could have accomplished more with a running back that could help the team sustain time and win the time of possession limiting how often their inept defense needed to be on the field. I'm skeptical that Ramsey would have excelled under Marinelli's zone scheme, he's an in your face corner who excels at playing man coverage bringing him to Dallas would have eliminated its number 1 trait.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You all talk about how it is 100% to take the CB and the one team that just benefited from the rule broke it the very next year....... Ramsey obviously didn't impress them much to go to Fournette

Then they even let DWatson go in favor of a RB and all you can say is that they had Bortles.....that is a joke...... way to stand behind the rule

Whatever. They overdrafted a RB and have a hole at the most important position on the field. That’s not the best example to bring up.

They’re not a good comp for Dallas, anyway, because the two teams had very different needs. But the point remains, don’t take players in the top 5 at positions you can readily fill in the top 60.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Whatever. They overdrafted a RB and have a hole at the most important position on the field. That’s not the best example to bring up.

They’re not a good comp for Dallas, anyway, because the two teams had very different needs. But the point remains, don’t take players in the top 5 at positions you can readily fill in the top 60.
There it is ......back to the stupid draft rules that all the mock fans just pulled from their butts

You take the best players for your team, dynamic players at any position in the draft

18 of the top 20 RBs of all time were taking in the 1st round ........more than 1/2 in the top5

You can get any JAG RB in the top 60 but that goes for every position

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There it is ......back to the stupid draft rules that all the mock fans just pulled from their butts

You take the best players for your team, dynamic players at any position in the draft

18 of the top 20 RBs of all time were taking in the 1st round ........more than 1/2 in the top5

You can routinely get a lot better than a JAG at that position in the top 60. That’s well established and is obviously the point.

Not all positions on an NFL team are equal. And the hit rate outside the top 5 is not the same for all positions. If you think those facts are stupid, well, it explains the missing logic in your argument.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I liked Bosa or slight trade down to get two good 1st first rounders.
Bosa was not an option and the other is unknown--as we don't know who we'd have taken.

I always have had reservations about taking a RB as early as 4, but used the disclaimer that if the player was transformational, then fine. Thought Zeke could be that.
Not thrilled about taking a CB that early either, but loved Ramsey as a player.

In the end, if Zeke hadn't had his baggage, we're probably looking at back-to-back playoff seasons with him. At least he's clearly the real deal...so it could've been much worse.

Sydla

Reaction score

I'd like to see the list of Top 20 RBs you are using.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would rank RB at 14.

RB is my favorite position. So I would rank it higher. But there is no denying that getting a great RB can be done almost anywhere in the draft. And certainly plenty in rounds 2-5.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You can routinely get a lot better than a JAG at that position in the top 60. That’s well established and is obviously the point.

Not all positions on an NFL team are equal. And the hit rate outside the top 5 is not the same for all positions. If you think those facts are stupid, well, it explains the missing logic in your argument.
And you would miss out on CJohnson, LFitzgerald, JJones, AJ Green, EElliott, TGurley, Fournette, APeterson

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm assuming the emojis are your way of disagreeing even though you have no significant evidence to support your reasoning?

And your evidence to support yours?

I have never heard anyone talk about how Ramsey may be the best CB in the NFL.
Is he good, yes, is he the best, right now, no.