Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It would be moronic to create a Run based offense, invest heavy in the OL and then go cheap on RB

You have idiots on this board who still think any back would be sufficient. They’ll point to the one big game Morris had and the one long run he had and say he could’ve done the job all year like that. They’ll put blinders on to the games in which he wasn’t consistent in. They’ll think Ramsey and his 4 INT’s this season would have given us the #1 defense in the league and our QB play and running game wouldn’t have mattered.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Signing Lamar Miller in FA and drafting Ramsey was my strategy, we would've filled the RB spot at a good price and got the best defensive player. Today I would roll with Zeke because this staff has too many difficulties maximizing talent, I feel a quality RB like Zeke can excel inspite of the coaching ineptitude. We'd probably have Ramsey at FS, looking like a jag.

Miller is too brittle and not tough enough between the tackles for our style of play. He's a finesse, bounce outside type of guy. We needed a hammer.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is bogus thinking for several reasons. One is you have hindsight vision that Howard has worked out, but the Cowboys wouldn't get to make a pick with that same hindsight vision. Accordingly they may just as easily have taken any number of the other RBs drafted that haven't worked out - there are a lot more of them than the one that did. The second is, even if the Cowboys somehow had it figured out that Howard was going be very good, they couldn't know 5 picks into the draft if he would be available when he was. Third, to draft Howard they would have had to pass on Dak. Finally, something fans easily lose sight of is the fact that even one team making one different pick would change how much of the draft goes, therefore we can't truly know who would have ben available each time Dallas was on the clock.

Of course.

But the poster I responded to said we would have had to use the Prescott pick to take Howard. That's false. We had two fourth round picks that year. We easily could have taken Howard instead of Tapper.

Sydla

Reaction score
It would be moronic to create a Run based offense, invest heavy in the OL and then go cheap on RB

LOL, what?

So the only way to get a good run based offense would be invest a ton of high picks in the OL and then also have to invest a high pick (or a lot of money) in a TB too?

Sydla

Reaction score
Remove Zeke and add Ramsey and you’re going to have to hope that Ramsey can help the defense win football games every week because our offense would sputter. Just look at it in the games without Zeke. I can tell you right now that we don’t have near enough on defense for a great corner to help us win football games defensively every week. Jacksonville put up 55 sacks this season so a big part of their defensive success was getting after the QB.

You make the assumption that in taking Ramsey they would not have added a good TB somewhere along the way and rather, they'd be playing someone like you or me at TB every week.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Well the Cowboys certainly could have moved up to #2. That pick was available, and the Eagles leapfrogged us. It would have cost us, but it cost the Eagles more, as they had farther to move up. I view having the #4 overall pick as a rare opportunity.

The pick was available to the Eagles. That doesn't mean the Browns would have been a willing partner to the Cowboys or they were looking for even more picks than Dallas could offer.

Sydla

Reaction score
Would Ramsey have led us to a 13-3 record last year? Uh, no.

Would Zeke? Uh, let me think about this.

So Zeke was the only reason we won 13 games?

In other words, no other TB in football could have helped us win the division last year?

Sydla

Reaction score
The pick was available to the Eagles. That doesn't mean the Browns would have been a willing partner to the Cowboys or they were looking for even more picks than Dallas could offer.

If the pick was available to Philly, it was available to us and probably at a slightly lower cost than Philly paid.

We chose not to make a move. It's just that simple.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You make the assumption that in taking Ramsey they would not have added a good TB somewhere along the way and rather, they'd be playing someone like you or me at TB every week.

They would’ve added a back like Morris and that wouldn’t have gotten it done. We’re dependent on a “great” back not a “good” back but some here just don’t seem to get that. Morris is a good back and so was McFadden but neither are special. We’re dependent on a game changer at the position and backs like that aren’t a dime a dozen. We need a back who can take the pressure off our young QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course.

But the poster I responded to said we would have had to use the Prescott pick to take Howard. That's false. We had two fourth round picks that year. We easily could have taken Howard instead of Tapper.

I should have realized that instead of just taking that posters word for it on that point. Even so, you have to look at the other points in my post. The Cowboys didn't get to go into the draft with the hindsight view of Howard we have now, so they just as easily could have used that 4th round pick on one of the many average or dud RBs in that draft. Or they may still felt Tapper was a good pick - they needed DE's. We also can't say that the draft would have gone exactly the same, and whether it did or not they couldn't have known in advance exactly how long Howard or any other RB would last. Zeke was there and certain when the 5th pick came around, whereas the plethora of mid round RBs was a crap shoot, both in terms of ability and availability. Nobody gets to draft with a crystal ball, and every team could look at back at every draft and see things they could have done better if they knew in advance how the draft would go. .

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
So Zeke was the only reason we won 13 games?

In other words, no other TB in football could have helped us win the division last year?
He was probably 70% of it, and the OL, before Pollack tought them how to forget how to play.

Sydla

Reaction score
They would’ve added a back like Morris and that wouldn’t have gotten it done. We’re dependent on a “great” back not a “good” back but some here just don’t seem to get that. Morris is a good back and so was McFadden but neither are special. We’re dependent on a game changer at the position. Someone who can take the pressure off our young QB.

The fact we need a "great" back probably means our issues go deeper than who plays TB for us.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact we need a "great" back probably means our issues go deeper than who plays TB for us.

The fact we need a "great" back is based on the offensive style the team wants to play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

We have a run first offense and a young QB who’s still developing as a passer. We have a disappointing receiver group that lacks explosiveness and we have a defense that although showed some improvement is still not very good. So yes our issues are pretty deep.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have a run first offense and a young QB who’s still developing as a passer. We have a disappointing receiver group that lacks explosiveness and we have a defense that although showed some improvement is still not very good. So yes our issues are pretty deep.

And a great running game helps out in all those areas.

dfense

Reaction score
Ramsey is a classless child who's only going to get worse. Great talent who's going to cost a lot of money pretty soon.