Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And a great running game helps out in all those areas.

Exactly, but that doesn’t seem to compute with some here. They’re still living in a world where any good back will do behind our OL.

condoin125

Reaction score
I did, I just never seen or heard he is the best CB in the NFL.
I guess I thought your post was funny, as I took it that you was saying Ramsey is the best CB and Elliot is not the best RB.
There are a few RB's people will argue the best RB...but Zeke did not get a fair shake to prove any different. As some would say Gurley.

There are quite a few CB's that would be considered the NFL's best over Ramsey. Unless there is something out there I have not seen or heard.

Ramsey may very well become the best or top 2 or 3. But IMO he is not there yet.

Well I didn't mean to imply I was offended by the emojis or anything, I just wanted something to debate. But I do believe that if he's not the best CB, he's right there. I can't think of a single guy I'd put ahead of him at this point though. Sherman is getting older and has lost a step even though he's still really good. AJ Bouye is really good but I think Ramsey is better and makes better plays on the ball. I think many people don't realize how quickly "the best" at a position changes in the NFL....outside of maybe QB. Guys have short windows at being the best and before you know it someone else has overtaken them. The problem is a lot of fans are too slow to pick up on this and need suggestions from the media first in order to get there.

I wasn't trying to imply that Elliot isn't the best RB, but I will firmly state now that Elliot is not the best. He's up there but there are guys with greater skill sets than him. Bell, Johnson (when healthy) and Gurley are guys that I would put ahead of him. Mostly because they all catch the ball better than him and can run routes (particularly Johnson and Bell). Elliot is supposed to be a better blocker than all of them and had a good year as a rookie doing that...but his blocking took a step back in the games he played this season.

condoin125

Reaction score
Would Ramsey have led us to a 13-3 record last year? Uh, no.

Would Zeke? Uh, let me think about this.
And what exactly did that get us? Through two seasons with Elliot we have no superbowls....would be the same if we had likely taken Ramsey but I think our team would be better built for the future.

The Natural

Reaction score
Miller is too brittle and not tough enough between the tackles for our style of play. He's a finesse, bounce outside type of guy. We needed a hammer.

Going to have to disagree. I think we would've been fine with him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some of those 4 INT’s Ramsey got was due to all the pressure Jacksonville puts on the QB. They put up 55 sacks this season and that doesn’t count all the pressures they had. We’ve let go of defensive players that have played better for other teams. Brandon Carr had 4 INT’s this season.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
And what exactly did that get us? Through two seasons with Elliot we have no superbowls....would be the same if we had likely taken Ramsey but I think our team would be better built for the future.

Our team has Zeke and a bunch of up and coming young cb's built for the future now.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
They would’ve added a back like Morris and that wouldn’t have gotten it done. We’re dependent on a “great” back not a “good” back but some here just don’t seem to get that. Morris is a good back and so was McFadden but neither are special. We’re dependent on a game changer at the position and backs like that aren’t a dime a dozen. We need a back who can take the pressure off our young QB.
People forget how many fgs we settled for with DMC after long drives, but with Zeke those went for TDs. Also the home run ability that he has.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
WRONG........ they took Fournette in 2017 over Lattimore
So? I don't think you're following the conversation. I also would have advised the Jags against taking Fournette.

The question isn't do the Jags make no mistakes. Obviously, they do...they're the Jags. The question is if we made a mistake taking a RB at 4. The answer is yes. It's always been yes. It's becoming clearer to some now though.

condoin125

Reaction score
Some of those 4 INT’s Ramsey got was due to all the pressure Jacksonville puts on the QB. They put up 55 sacks this season and that doesn’t count all the pressures they had. We’ve let go of defensive players that have played better for other teams. Brandon Carr had 4 INT’s this season.
And how many of those sacks were sacks caused by the coverage being so good that the QB had nowhere to go with the ball? Both aspects of their defense are good and both have contributed to the overall success.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yea because DB's are not impacted by aging. Just like Richard Sherman and Revis.
I didn't say that.

But they age better and play longer at a higher level and they're harder to find, replace and acquire in the open market.

But go on....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
People forget how many fgs we settled for with DMC after long drives, but with Zeke those went for TDs. Also the home run ability that he has.

Exactly McFadden only scored three TDs in 2015. His yards weren’t equating to touchdowns. His longest run of the season in 2015 led to him being chased down against Green Bay and that drive led to a FG.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Our team has Zeke and a bunch of up and coming young cb's built for the future now.
lol, thanks PJ for replying on that one, I had to let that one go....there was so much wrong in one sentence I was at a loss.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

That's a fair point. Pressure will help a defensive back for sure. He still played great in his rookie year, predominantly against the other team's best receiver, when Jacksonville didn't get much pressure.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And how many of those sacks were sacks caused by the coverage being so good that the QB had nowhere to go with the ball? Both aspects of their defense are good and both have contributed to the overall success.

Naturally some were coverage sacks but others were due to a strong pass rush.

condoin125

Reaction score
Zeke is better than DMC...but the 2015 offensive inefficiencies had more to do with the inept passing game than anything else.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's a fair point. Pressure will help a defensive back for sure. He still played great in his rookie year, predominantly against the other team's best receiver, when Jacksonville didn't get much pressure.

I’m certainly not knocking Ramsey as a player he’s very good but he wouldn’t be more valuable to the Cowboys than Zeke based on the team we have. Our offense is built entirely on the running game. Everything feeds off it.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Those that actually watch college football know who Ramsey was and was capable of being. He was the #5 pick overall.

We aren’t talking about 6th round sleeper from Tuscaloosa State University.

No I’m just saying he’s trending the opposite way of Zeke from last year so naturally people are going to lean with the guy who’s had more success this year. And I’m not saying Zeke has been bad bc he hasn’t.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Look at the 2016 draft and list all the "great RB's" that were drafted in rounds 2-5. So far I think Howard from the Bears is the only one that has shown anything close to that.

RB's are so dependent on their Olines, the offense they are in, and the opportunities they get. Another reason why position is not held in as high regard.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly, but that doesn’t seem to compute with some here. They’re still living in a world where any good back will do behind our OL.

The problem is for some fans when they see something happen a time or two they over exaggerate it into something that is commonplace, especially if in doing so it promotes the narrative they want. Accordingly, the occasional mid round back that becomes a standout becomes a normal thing in their eyes.

And what about CB? One of the Pro Bowl CB's was an undrafted free agent, and the CB with the most INTs in the NFL this season was a 3rd round draft pick. Why the double standard when people say a top RB can be found later in the draft but they don't acknowledge that a top CB can be found later in the draft?