Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

ghst187

Reaction score
Purely absurd to say Ramsey over Zeke unless...Zeke totally flames out longer term.
Zeke is worth so many more points per game than Ramsey it's not funny.
Zeke changes (and wins) games. Ramsey slightly alters where opposing QBs throw the ball occasionally while playing on a top defense. Ask a Pitt fan is they'd rather have Bell or Richard Sherman at his best. It's a ridiculous question because their offense is nothing without Bell just like our offense stinks without Zeke. With Ramsey on our lame defense last season, does anyone really think we win 13 games and Morris running then ball? Sure it would be great to have a top corner, I get why people lament that but just beyond ridiculous to say that Ramsey would be as valuable to our team as Zeke is. Not sure how this is even debatable.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RB's are so dependent on their Olines, the offense they are in, and the opportunities they get. Another reason why position is not held in as high regard.

CBs are dependent on their pass rush and over the top help from their safeties ....

Plus, even if a CB is very good, there is still an opportunity for the opposing offense to attack another part of the field.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Opinion hasn't changed. I would have rather traded down and acquired more picks. Between Zeke and Ramsey? Hey, don't get me wrong, I love watching Zeke play. I thought that he was far and away the best back to have come out in the last several years then, and I still think he is but I'm still going with Ramsey. The strength of our team is the OL. When they are on, a really good back can be great. Ramsey would have helped immediately in an area we really needed help with. I still take Ramsey.

JMO

Jenky

Reaction score
Elliott gives this team a snowball's chance in hell. Ramsey does not.

I'm STILL sticking with Elliott.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
After about the zillionth thread made about this?

MwpFTJ8.gif

:lmao2::laugh::lmao::muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
The fact we need a "great" back is based on the offensive style the team wants to play.

Not when you've invested in the OL like we did.

Again, the notion that Zeke is like one of maybe 3 TBs in football who can help us win games is preposterous.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The problem is for some fans when they see something happen a time or two they over exaggerate it into something that is commonplace, especially if in doing so it promotes the narrative they want. Accordingly, the occasional mid round back that becomes a standout becomes a normal thing in their eyes.

And what about CB? One of the Pro Bowl CB's was an undrafted free agent, and the CB with the most INTs in the NFL this season was a 3rd round draft pick. Why the double standard when people say a top RB can be found later in the draft but they don't acknowledge that a top CB can be found later in the draft?

What determines the success of a player most of the time is the type of scheme you run and the players around them. Brandon Carr had 4 INT’s this season with the Ravens but didn’t have a single pick his final two seasons with the Cowboys. Barry Church had 4 INT’s this season with Jacksonville and 1.5 sacks. He never had more than two picks in a season with the Cowboys and never recorded a sack. A player we let go has become a vital cog in the Jags #1 defense. We’ve released two players Ware and Church who became big contributors to defenses that led the league.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'm just not of the opinion that the best way to kickstart an offense with a broke in half QB and loss of the NFL rushing leader is too bypass the premier RB in the draft with blocking skills, is to draft a CB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly, but that doesn’t seem to compute with some here. They’re still living in a world where any good back will do behind our OL.

It actually does compute with most people.

The computation issue comes in when people think a Top 5 drafted TB is really the only way to get a rushing offense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It actually does compute with most people.

The computation issue comes in when people think a Top 5 drafted TB is really the only way to get a rushing offense.

Anything sensible doesn’t compute with most here. We needed a top 5 back to have the type of rushing game we need to have success.

Sydla

Reaction score
People forget how many fgs we settled for with DMC after long drives, but with Zeke those went for TDs. Also the home run ability that he has.

LOL.

I would suspect part of the reason why we settled for a lot of FGs in 2015 with DMac was because of the QB play, not who was playing TB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly McFadden only scored three TDs in 2015. His yards weren’t equating to touchdowns. His longest run of the season in 2015 led to him being chased down against Green Bay and that drive led to a FG.

When you guys completely ignore the fact that in 2015, we had some of the worst QBs in football playing for us as replacements for Romo, it's hard to take you guys seriously when you think our red zone problems and offensive problems were simply tied to McFadden.

The 2015 team is a sub .500 team even with Elliott. That's just reality.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
CBs are dependent on their pass rush and over the top help from their safeties ....

Plus, even if a CB is very good, there is still an opportunity for the opposing offense to attack another part of the field.

So? Why are you telling me this?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So it's only sensible that to get a good running game you have to have a Top 5 drafted TB?

For the team the Cowboys have yes or at least a back that develops into much better than their draft selection like Murray did. We need a dominant runner, a game changer especially with a young QB and having a disappointing receiver group. Even our OL isn’t what it was.

Sydla

Reaction score
Opinion hasn't changed. I would have rather traded down and acquired more picks. Between Zeke and Ramsey? Hey, don't get me wrong, I love watching Zeke play. I thought that he was far and away the best back to have come out in the last several years then, and I still think he is but I'm still going with Ramsey. The strength of our team is the OL. When they are on, a really good back can be great. Ramsey would have helped immediately in an area we really needed help with. I still take Ramsey.

JMO

Agreed. I think the Cowboys and specifically Jerry and Garrett became infatuated with Elliott and simply blocked out any and all considerations of trading that pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
For the team the Cowboys have yes or at least a back that develops into much better than their draft selection like Murray did. We need a dominant runner, a game changer especially with a young QB and having a disappointing receiver group. Even our OL isn’t what it was.

So in other words........... you agree with me. They didn't have to necessarily use the 4th pick in the draft to take a TB.

And stop with the disappointing receiver group stuff. That's such an overplayed rationale people have now made up to further try to prop up the argument that Elliott was the only choice at 4.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When you guys completely ignore the fact that in 2015, we had some of the worst QBs in football playing for us as replacements for Romo, it's hard to take you guys seriously when you think our red zone problems and offensive problems were simply tied to McFadden.

The 2015 team is a sub .500 team even with Elliott. That's just reality.

According to some of the brainiacs here Dak was as bad as Weeden and Cassel this season. Most of what happened in 2015 was tied to the QB position but if we had a dynamic back who could score more than 3 TDs and not have around 8 games averaging under 4.0 a carry we wouldn’t have had to depend on our QBs as much.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If the pick was available to Philly, it was available to us and probably at a slightly lower cost than Philly paid.

We chose not to make a move. It's just that simple.

No, it isn't that simple. The Browns wanted to stock pile picks. Philly had more to offer. Dallas had a higher pick to offer, which would have offset quantity.