Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So in other words........... you agree with me. They didn't have to necessarily use the 4th pick in the draft to take a TB.

And stop with the disappointing receiver group stuff. That's such an overplayed rationale people have now made up to further try to prop up the argument that Elliott was the only choice at 4.

Don’t agree with you at all, we had the top rated back in the draft sitting there who appeared to be special and we had to take him. You can’t bank on taking a back later and having them develop into much better than their draft selection. We got lucky with Murray. Zeke was the most obvious choice for the Cowboys at #4. Not having a dynamic runner in 2015 helped get Romo injured. It was obvious Romo needed help with Murray being gone and selecting Zeke was a no brainer.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, it isn't that simple. The Browns wanted to stock pile picks. Philly had more to offer. Dallas had a higher pick to offer, which would have offset quantity.

Philly didn't have more to offer. They had roughly the same number of picks we did. We had a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder, we had a first and second rounder in 2017 as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don’t agree with you at all, we had the top rated back in the draft sitting there who appeared to be special and we had to take him. You can’t bank on taking a back later and having them develop into much better than their draft selection. We got lucky with Murray. Zeke was the most obvious choice for the Cowboys at #4. Not having a dynamic runner in 2015 helped get Romo injured. It was obvious Romo needed help with Murray being gone and Zeke was a no brainer.

Romo got hurt in the 2nd game of the year. No it wasn't obvious he got hurt because he didn't have Murray.

It's hard to have these debates when you guys are going to pass things off that are totally random as factual evidence.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo got hurt in the 2nd game of the year. No it wasn't obvious he got hurt because he didn't have Murray.

It's hard to have these debates when you guys are going to pass things off that are totally random as factual evidence.

Both Randle and McFadden averaged under 4.0 carry in the first two games. Romo carried the team to a win in the opener go back and review the game. He had 45 atttempts in the opener more than in any game in 2014. The game was put on him. In week 2 McFadden and Randle were both averaging under 4.0 again and once again the game was put on Romo’s shoulders. He was again on pace for another 40 attempt game.

Philly pinned their ears back and came after him and he was injured. We were riding Murray the previous season. He came out of the gate hot in 2014. In the Carolina game in 2015 it was once again the lack of a running game that got Romo injured. McFadden averaged 1.0 in 10 carries and he missed the block that ended up getting Romo re-injured.

Last edited:

Otto65

Reaction score
I like the Zeke choice. Run game control the clock, keep opposing teams offense off the field. I think the present group of Lewis, Awuzie, and Woods should be okay.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agreed. I think the Cowboys and specifically Jerry and Garrett became infatuated with Elliott and simply blocked out any and all considerations of trading that pick.

I think that the real effects of this pick will not fully be realized until the time comes for Zeke to get a new contract. Then, we will see the full effects of this pick IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
Both Randle and McFadden averaged under 4.0 carry in the first two games. Romo carried the team to a win in the opener go back and review the game. He had 45 atttempts in the opener more than in any game in 2014. The game was put on him. In week 2 McFadden and Randle were both averaging under 4.0 again and once again the game was put on Romo’s shoulders. He was again on pace for another 40 attempt game.

Philly pinned their ears back and came after him and he was injured. We were riding Murray the previous season. He came out of the gate hot in 2014. In the Carolina game in 2015 it was once again the lack of a running game that got Romo injured. McFadden averaged 1.0 in 10 carries and he missed the block that ended up getting Romo re-injured.

Which means nothing.

Elliott averaged 2.6 yards per rush and 4.0 yards per rush in his first two games last year. Should we have concluded at that point, the rushing offense was going to be mediocre?

Of course not.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think that the real effects of this pick will not fully be realized until the time comes for Zeke to get a new contract. Then, we will see the full effects of this pick IMO.

As I said earlier, I didn't want them to resign Murray, I didn't want them to use the 4th pick on a TB and I sure as hell don't want them to drop their pants and hand over a huge 2nd contract to a TB regardless of how good people think Elliott is at that time.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
In order to draft Howard, Dallas would have had to pass on Dak. They then would have scrambled to find a QB after Romo and Moore(lol) were injured in the 2016 pre-season. And if Romo still retired, which I think he would have, Dallas would still be searching for a QB.
Was Dak the only 4th round pick we had?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Which means nothing.

Elliott averaged 2.6 yards per rush and 4.0 yards per rush in his first two games last year. Should we have concluded at that point, the rushing offense was going to be mediocre?

Of course not.

We ended up losing the opener and the lack of running game had an affect on Dak who didn’t have a good game. Zeke was better the next week averaging 4.0 and scoring a TD. This helped Dak who played better. They fed off each other and they kept getting better. You may want to spend all day on this but I don’t have the time. I’m given my opinion.

Sydla

Reaction score
We ended up losing the opener and the lack of running game had an affect on Dak who didn’t have a good game. Zeke was better the next week averaging 4.0 and scoring a TD. This helped Dak who played better. They fed off each other and they kept getting better. You may want to spend all day on this but I don’t have the time. I’m given my opinion.

Dak didn't have a good game in either Giants game because they just confounded him.

And again, the larger point is that Zeke Elliott isn't the only TB on the planet that could somehow make Dak better.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was Dak the only 4th round pick we had?

No, we had 2 4th rounders. Still, even though we know now that Howard was a great pick, it's only hindsight that tells us that. Saying we "could have" taken Howard is like saying any team "could have" taken any player in any draft that turns out better than expected. Had the Cowboys passed on Zeke there is no certainty Howard would even have been the guy they targeted because there were others that were considered better prospects going into the draft. Even if they did like him it would have been a risk to wait because they couldn't have known when he would go to another team.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No, we had 2 4th rounders. Still, even though we know now that Howard was a great pick, it's only hindsight that tells us that. Saying we "could have" taken Howard is like saying any team "could have" taken any player in any draft that turns out better than expected. Had the Cowboys passed on Zeke there is no certainty Howard would even have been the guy they targeted because there were others that were considered better prospects going into the draft. Even if they did like him it would have been a risk to wait because they couldn't have known when he would go to another team.
That went right over your head

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And again, the larger point is that Zeke Elliott isn't the only TB on the planet that could somehow make Dak better.

Name a back we could have drafted later on that would have provided the offense with the explosiveness and production that Zeke has provided us, that would have taken pressure off Dak and made him better?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak didn't have a good game in either Giants game because they just confounded him.

And Jalen Ramsey isn't the only CB on the planet that could have made our secondary better. Your arguments all apply to Ramsey just as easily as to Zeke. In either case - whether passing on Zeke or passing on Ramsey - there was a risk in not getting another top player at that position. And, again, even if you want to use the hindsight vision that many in this thread are using, as things sit today it appears there was one, and only one, other RB in that entire draft that might have fit for the Cowboys, and it's FAR from certain we would have ended up with that one.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ramsey had 4 INT’s for JAX and so did Barry Church. Brandon Carr had 4 INT’s for the Ravens. It comes down to the scheme and team a player plays for. Just about every defensive player we’ve let go has played better for other teams.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That went right over your head

Instead of being a *****, why don't you explain why you asked if we only had 1 4th rounder? You responded to a post that indicated we would have to have passed on Dak to take Howard by asking if that was the only 4th rounder we had. It's not even remotely unreasonable to think you asked that to find out if they really would have had to pass on Dak to take Howard, so you are either being a jerk, or it's actually my post that went completely went over your head. If there is some other interpretation of your post, please provide it and will be happy to discuss it, but don't pull this lame intellectual superiority crap.

Sydla

Reaction score
Name a back we could have drafted later on that would have provided the offense with the explosiveness and production that Zeke has provided us, that would have taken pressure off Dak and made him better?

Howard.

Sydla

Reaction score
And Jalen Ramsey isn't the only CB on the planet that could have made our secondary better. Your arguments all apply to Ramsey just as easily as to Zeke. In either case - whether passing on Zeke or passing on Ramsey - there was a risk in not getting another top player at that position. And, again, even if you want to use the hindsight vision that many in this thread are using, as things sit today it appears there was one, and only one, other RB in that entire draft that might have fit for the Cowboys, and it's FAR from certain we would have ended up with that one.

Never said he was. The problem here is that the pro-Ramsey people arent making it sound like Ramsey is the only good CB in the league like the pro-Elliott crowd is doing with Zeke.

For me personally, it’s never been Ramsey versus Elliott. It’s been simply about the fact I don’t value putting high value resources into a TB. I’d have taken Ramsey or Bosa if he were there over Elliott. I’d have even contemplated Stanley, the OT at that spot. I most definitely would have taken one of the QBs over Elliott if they had been available at 4 too.