News: Zeke to play against Packers

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
That’s because most people don’t understand. The concept. It’s obvious. Elliot pounds the defense wears them out. Which makes Tonys, chances Of breaking a big one, even greater. . I hope that helps

Yeah, Elliott pounded the Bears defense pretty good for Pollard to break so many runs. Amazing what he can do from the sidelines.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Just because you’d rather see him. Doesn’t make it the right choice. As much as I enjoy seeing him also. I understand the concept of sledge hammer/ slash . Tony Pollard’s chances become greater every time Elliot runs the ball before him. Who do you think the defense would rather tackle.
The guy that they could catch.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Will be an interesting situation as on one hand you have Booger, dug in and wanting to prove he was right about that contract, and on the other is the coaching staff with the job of putting the most effective RB on the field and the only way Elliott wins that is in pass protection, he is still a top back at that.

There is another hand, the players. I wonder who the OL wants out there, a back slow to the hole or one already through it so they can move onto the next block? Or concerned if the pass rusher, headed to their QB, is going to get picked up?
I wonder who will win that argument between our GM and coaches ? Lol

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
As has been written in many of the other threads, your typical high end back in the NFL is getting 15 to 20 touches per game with only a few exceptions. The old days of guys getting 30 are gone.

Zeke coming back is fine.

Zeke coming back and Pollard getting reduced to 5 to 10 touches is NOT fine.
There it is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand the feeling of not wanting to root against a Cowboys player but also having a preference for that player to not play...

TE Schultz is in that category for me. I think the young guys will easily surpass him if given enough snaps. They're all already better blockers. Even McKeon who played several snaps as a Fullback vs the Bears.

RB Davis looks legit to me. He appears to have a feel for playing the position. Guys like Dowdle might have better measured athleticism but lack the instincts. We all know 1st hand that greatness at RB is not dependent on winning the combine...Emmitt Smith...

Zeke has average vision/instincts. He was great as a rookie and in college due to an uber size/athleticism combo. Once he lost even a small amount of athleticism, he quickly became average.

It reminds me a little bit of Dez. He was great for a period of time due to out physical-ing DBs, but once he lost a bit of athletic ability, he was done. He never developed as a route runner to compensate for a decline in physical ability.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are we finally unanimous about one thing on this board?

Which is that Pollard is a better back at this point
Pollard is more exciting to watch, certainly. Is he the "better" RB? I think that depends on how you qualify the position.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t even imagine why you would be disappointed. They feed off of each other

Most everyone hates Zeke...I guess they just don't want to win. We don't have very good fans.

As was said on NFLN a few days ago.
Fans are divided on Zeke and Tony, arguing over who should start....then they said...HOW ABOUT WINNIG...THE WIN WITH BOTH AS IT IS GOING....some fans are not smart on this...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
18mm for this year and people would rather see him sit. Dont forget our 11M TE still looking for that 1st td or 100 yard game. Stephen can really run a cap
Franchising Schultz was the correct decision. The other option was giving him a big contract.

They needed a veteran TE. Any decent free agent would not sign a 1 year contract.

Kellen Moore's scheme is "TE friendly" which meant that a draft pick would likely have quick success. They just needed a veteran to bridge the gap while a rookie TE developed.

I'm not a big fan of Schultz, but injury has limited him and Cooper Rush at QB also seemed to limit him. He has not been 100% since returning games missed due to injury.

CWR

Reaction score
As has been written in many of the other threads, your typical high end back in the NFL is getting 15 to 20 touches per game with only a few exceptions. The old days of guys getting 30 are gone.

If we are winning, we have the luxury of preserving TP. Come playoff time we should be amping up his touches.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Most everyone hates Zeke...I guess they just don't want to win. We don't have very good fans.

As was said on NFLN a few days ago.
Fans are divided on Zeke and Tony, arguing over who should start....then they said...HOW ABOUT WINNIG...THE WIN WITH BOTH AS IT IS GOING....some fans are not smart on this...
Yes some hate Zeke, but imo most just want the ratio of carries to go Pollards way (no matter who "starts").

And yes we are winning as is but, just maybe we actually go further with upping Pollard's carries.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Agree 100%,. I would add if Zeke is hindered by the knee the split needs to favor Pollard more than usual. I think this is the area the coaching staff needs to learn from past mistakes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes some hate Zeke, but imo most just want the ratio of carries to go Pollards way (no matter who "starts").

And yes we are winning as is but, just maybe we actually go further with upping Pollard's carries.

It’s not about the Carrie’s but when those carries come in game.

Zeke is in the game at the wrong time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
YES
very wrong

hes a big part of the team and the way KM been calling plays before the Zeke injury should begin again, split the carries, hot hand gets the tie breaker. anything less make you less of fan. seriously, Zekes been here a long time and he deserves to remain the starter even if its in label only. who cares who gets more carries as long as we are winning, keep both players healthy and fresh.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s not about the Carrie’s but when those carries come in game.

Zeke is in the game at the wrong time.
IYO , sure

coaches have far better unbiased grasp on how to handle that..lmao.some of you just need to stop. by all the pre-season and post dak injuries many of you have been and will continue to be wrong and terrible talent evualtoers.

you know those that said Rush should keep the starting job, smh..right fans should be GMs and coaches.

Nav22

Reaction score
That’s because most people don’t understand. The concept. It’s obvious. Elliot pounds the defense wears them out. Which makes Tonys, chances Of breaking a big one, even greater. . I hope that helps
The Titans thought the same thing once, with Lendale White and Chris Johnson.

Eventually the whole world figured out that Lendale’s the inferior player and Johnson simply needs to be the #1 option who gets the bulk of the touches.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
YES
very wrong

hes a big part of the team and the way KM been calling plays before the Zeke injury should begin again, split the carries, hot hand gets the tie breaker. anything less make you less of fan. seriously, Zekes been here a long time and he deserves to remain the starter even if its in label only. who cares who gets more carries as long as we are winning, keep both players healthy and fresh.
It was done "tongue in cheek" a bit - I am a Zeke fan but one could see early on, that his style of seeking contact was not conducive to a long career at that high a level.

And I think most would agree that he isn't the same back as when he first came out, all what a lot want is for Pollard to see more touches.

Pollard is a big play guy, but those guys need their touches, cant expect 3-4 big plays on just 8 rushes.