Twitter: Zeke vs Emmitt

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I would like to see what Emmitt could do with these spread offenses. He would be running wild.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Durability is the key for sure.

The new trend with running backs is get a few all-pro/pro bowl caliber seasons and then vanish off the face of the Earth do to health issues (guys like Chris Johnson, Adrian Foster, Doug Martin, Demarco Murrary).

Guys like Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson are extremely rare (can play high level for an actual significant amount of time career wise).

Becoming a "franchise runningback" is almost a myth now a days !
Yeah, run 'em into the ground on their rookie contract then dump and replace. Saves a fortune.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Zeke doesnt have a Troy Aikman...its all Zeke, all that pressure must suck, lol

I can hear this group if Troy was the QB today and also in his 3rd year:

'We need to dump this bum.11 TDs and 10 INTS? PUT IN GARRETT!!!' (Dak 17 TDs, 8 Ints)
'ZOMG!!!! We NEVER throw downfield! This spaghetti arm only has 3 pass plays over 40 yards!!' (Dak has 8)
'86.7 rating?? ARE YOU KIDDING? Jimmy Johnson is horrible, Troy Aikman will always suck. LOW UPSIDE....PUT IN GARRETT!!!' (Dak 94.0 rating)
'If Smith wasn't the entire offense, we'd have lost 341 games this season!'
'Jimmy Johnson is trash!!'
'Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. You kiddin me? Playoffs?' (We were 6-5 through 11. Courtesy: J. Mora)
Etc.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Plus the heart of a Champion...
He was asked after winning the rushing title his rookie year if he thought he would be that great. His response was he wasn’t great and wouldn’t be great until he led the Cowboys to the Super Bowl AND won it AND put up great stats like Walter Payton and Tony Dorsett.

That is what this team has been lacking since our championship years.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
He was asked after winning the rushing title his rookie year if he thought he would be that great. His response was he wasn’t great and wouldn’t be great until he led the Cowboys to the Super Bowl AND won it AND put up great stats like Walter Payton and Tony Dorsett.

That is what this team has been lacking since our championship years.

So, basically what Zeke said yesterday about going to the Pro Bowl?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Had no idea Zeke is/was outpacing Emmitt stats by this much........

The amount of touches stands out to me. Elliott has almost 100 more carries and 40 more catches. I think this both shows that Elliott is a workhorse and that our offense runs through him instead of being more balanced.

I've got to give Elliott credit, though, for having a better YPC (4.6 to 4.1) despite the heavier workload. Also, notice Emmitt's superior number of rushing TDs in fewer carries. I remember us getting to the goal line and giving the ball to Smith to finish it off. We tend to either forget about the running game now or abandon it after one attempt when we get close to the goal line (which, I believe, contributes to our red zone failures).

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The amount of touches stands out to me. Elliott has almost 100 more carries and 40 more catches. I think this both shows that Elliott is a workhorse and that our offense runs through him instead of being more balanced.

I've got to give Elliott credit, though, for having a better YPC (4.6 to 4.1) despite the heavier workload. Also, notice Emmitt's superior number of rushing TDs in fewer carries. I remember us getting to the goal line and giving the ball to Smith to finish it off. We tend to either forget about the running game now or abandon it after one attempt when we get close to the goal line (which, I believe, contributes to our red zone failures).

As they say, some players have a smell for the end zone, Emmitt was one of those players.

Thomas82

Reaction score
It's true that Emmitt, while still winning Rookie of the Year, didn't have the same kind of debut that Zeke did, which makes this comparison as close as it is. However, Emmitt would then go on to unleash one of the most dominant five year stretches that any back ever had. Zeke would need to repeat 2016 four times in a row to be Emmitt like.

I look forward to seeing Zeke try to match that 5-year stretch.

Redline360

Reaction score
Definitely one of the best in football if not the best. Unfortunately the cowboys are slowly driving him into the ground as he accounts for what seems like 70% of the offence via running or check down passes.

Hope he goes on to have an amazing long career

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Unfortunately. Zeke will not last as long in the NFL as Emmitt.

Emmitt was a different breed. His main record will be in tact for some time.

They just don't make em' like Emmitt anymore. Wish they did. All time best NFL RB.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Zeke has more "Raw, god given, born with it talent" then Emmitt did, but Emmitt was a true warrior and wanted to win at all costs. Even if it meant playing injured. Emmitt did have some luxuries Zeke does not, nor will never have. A very balanced offense, best offensive line in NFL history and he played when the league was all about equal passing running. Now with all the changes, it is a pass first league.

Also back in that era, a RB could make a legit career with a team, for a decade or so. Now? They use you up in 2-5 years and bring in fresh blood. This is why Emmitt's all time rushing title, won;t be broken for a very long time. Buy hell yeah, you gotta love Emmitt. If you don't you anti no Cowboys fan.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Amen. I think Emmitt is the best RB in NFL history (yeah I am bias) but I am all for Zeke surpassing him. I wish him luck in the long road ahead. Before anyone mentions Barry Sanders, the only reason I think Emmitt is better is because he was more of an all purpose back. As good as Sanders was, he was a liability as well.

Sanders was incredible. if you needed a purely electric runner, with unbelievable God given talent that could make your jaw literally drop, then Barry was your man. Great running back, definitely among the tops of all time

But if you needed a guy who was the total package--could run on the edge, could run between the tackles, get the tough yards in short situations, goal line situations, great blocker, catch passes out of backfield, and maybe one of the toughest most durable guys to ever play the position, then you simply cannot do better than Emmitt Smith.

Top to bottom, the total package, hands down the best RB in NFL history. No one--NO ONE--did it all, better, for longer, than Emmitt did.
He's simply the best of all time. No question in my mind.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Give him a reliable TE like Aikman had w Novacek. He needs a dependable option.

Totally agree.
Up until last season he was stuck with.... oh what the hell was his name.... Wittford, something like that?

yeah, Dak has never had a reliable TE. Real shame.:facepalm:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Zeke single-handedly undermines the whole “but Dak’s W/L is 30-15...” nonsense.

Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink; Dak goes as Zeke goes; the passing game operates of the effectiveness of the run game primarily. Let me know when Dak starts carrying this team with his arm.

THIS--X 1,000,000,000

Lest we forget what Dak looked like last year during Zeke's suspension.... it was worse than bad.