Twitter: Zeke vs Emmitt

Mr_437

Reaction score
One thing about Emmitt was near the goal line he was money...scored all the time. Scotty needs to find ways to get their best player the ball down there...idk maybe run behind that all world OG Zack Martin.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Emmits the best post season back I've ever seen. I hope we get to see Zeke perform in the post season several times. Both great talents....just glad they were and are Cowboys.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Emmitt made no secret of his desire for longevity in the league. He was slithering around trying to preserve his body from early in his career. I like watching Zeke deliver punishment, but dude needs to watch some Smith film. Emmitt had no problem getting OOB.

This hurdle attempt against Indy was a bad business decision, especially coming off the stinger. Exciting when it works, but unsustainable long term. Just get the first down and stay healthy. If he'd had nobody to beat like his hurdle earlier in the season, maybe it's a different story.

For one game at the same point in their careers? That's a really close call. Our run blocking game has been adequate this year, but Smith had Tueni, Stepnoski, Williams, and Newton in year 3. IMO, Zeke would get 2000+ behind those studs.

Zeke for a game, I think, but there's no wrong answer with these two guys.

As great as that line was (my favorites) , Emmitt helped make them great. The best north and south guy (with the heart) to ever touch a football, IMO

Flamma

Reaction score
Most fans would love Zeke to surpass smith
But the odds are very slim
Few player can play at that level for that long
Many have had big starts, few come close

Most running backs aren't getting near his rushing record. But since Zeke is a hard running Cowboy, I wish him all the luck.

This, never saw him blocking ever

Sanders was a dynamic runner but also a liability. Had to run out of a single setback formation. Couldn't run on GL situations. Didn't block well and didn't catch much out of the backfield. All things Emmitt not only did, but did well.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I don't remember him coming off at all. Warrior, great in the redzone

He was great young and old. Emmitt was the Cowboys' best short yardage runner, goal line runner, pass protector, etc......in the good years and bad. Because of that he got hit on every play, whether he was carrying the ball or not.

Thomas82

Reaction score
As great as that line was (my favorites) , Emmitt helped make them great. The best north and south guy (with the heart) to ever touch a football, IMO

A testament to that is him being a Pro Bowl selection in his first 2 years, along with a rushing title in his 2nd year......WITHOUT any of his linemen being selected.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Amen. I think Emmitt is the best RB in NFL history (yeah I am bias) but I am all for Zeke surpassing him. I wish him luck in the long road ahead. Before anyone mentions Barry Sanders, the only reason I think Emmitt is better is because he was more of an all purpose back. As good as Sanders was, he was a liability as well.

Good luck w/ that. He's only got 15,000 more yards to go. Do the math...Zeke would have to rush for 1500 yards every season for the next decade...

He's already showing signs of slowing down. I bet money he doesn't make it another 5 more seasons before he hangs them up.:rolleyes:

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Good luck w/ that. He's only got 15,000 more yards to go. Do the math...Zeke would have to rush for 1500 yards every season for the next decade...

He's already showing signs of slowing down. I bet money he doesn't make it another 5 more seasons before he hangs them up.:rolleyes:
The league is no longer setup for a RB to make a long term career, especially with the same team. Those days are gone. The ideal offense back during Smith's era was a balanced, Run / Pass. The league is now a pass first. Teams also go in with the mindset for a RB, of good production for 2-5 years, then move on to younger blood. Good teams no longer need a great RB to win. It's just the way the league has evolved and the rule changes etc. So Zeke will never even have the chance to have the career Emmitt did.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can he get in the end zone for us ever again? LOL
Hopefully he does this weekend - I need him in the endzone for my fantasy championship game.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That was back when the Cowboys passing game was really struggling with Pelluer at QB. A lot of dump off’s and short throws to Herschel. Zeke will surpass the 76 receptions Walker had and may even approach the 85 receptions Bell had with the Steelers in 2017.

I disagree. Those were not mostly dump off passes. Herschel averaged 11 yards per reception. He lined up wide quite a bit that season and Danny White started 7 games that year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I disagree. Those were not mostly dump off passes. Herschel averaged 11 yards per reception. He lined up wide quite a bit that season and Danny White started 7 games that year.

A lot of dump offs and short throws where he had room to run which is why he had that average. A short throw can lead to a 60 yard catch and run. That can inflate an average. A back can lineup wide and still catch a short pass. The back isn’t going to catch 76 passes lining up wide catching long balls all season.

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Zeke is running behind the most overrated offensive line and zero passing threat. Imagine what he would do in a real offense?

Overrated? Lmao. You sound silly. Who is overrating this makeshift OL we have? No one. Martin and Travis are hurt. Tyron should not even be out there playing but he's a tough sob. Then you have a bunch of no names after that.

In 2016 with this OL at its peak, it was a top 3 OL easily. It has since taken its lumps.

joseephuss

Reaction score
A lot of dump offs and short throws where he had room to run which is why he had that average. A short throw can lead to a 60 yard catch and run. That can inflate an average.

Most running backs get the majority of their receptions off of dump offs and short throws. Walker did receive his share of those types of throws(Elliott is, too), but he also went down field as well. Take away Walker's long of 84 yards that 1986 season and he still averaged over 10 yards per reception. That isn't a fluke. Dallas finished 12th in the league in passing yards per game. One spot ahead of the run-and-shoot Oilers. Prior to Danny White getting injured they were near the top in passing yards per game. He broke his wrist in the 9th game of the season and then the Peuller suckdom commenced. Walker was a force in the receiving game that year. Elliott is one this season and he will become the franchise leader for most receptions by a running back for a single-season.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Sanders was incredible. if you needed a purely electric runner, with unbelievable God given talent that could make your jaw literally drop, then Barry was your man. Great running back, definitely among the tops of all time

But if you needed a guy who was the total package--could run on the edge, could run between the tackles, get the tough yards in short situations, goal line situations, great blocker, catch passes out of backfield, and maybe one of the toughest most durable guys to ever play the position, then you simply cannot do better than Emmitt Smith.

Top to bottom, the total package, hands down the best RB in NFL history. No one--NO ONE--did it all, better, for longer, than Emmitt did.
He's simply the best of all time. No question in my mind.
Walter Payton. Is basically the Emmitt template. Walter gets the bad oline pass that Sanders gets.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most running backs get the majority of their receptions off of dump offs and short throws. Walker did receive his share of those types of throws(Elliott is, too), but he also went down field as well. Take away Walker's long of 84 yards that 1986 season and he still averaged over 10 yards per reception. That isn't a fluke. Dallas finished 12th in the league in passing yards per game. One spot ahead of the run-and-shoot Oilers. Prior to Danny White getting injured they were near the top in passing yards per game. He broke his wrist in the 9th game of the season and then the Peuller suckdom commenced. Walker was a force in the receiving game that year. Elliott is one this season and he will become the franchise leader for most receptions by a running back for a single-season.

I never said Walker didn't go down the field some. I said "most" of his catches were from dump offs and short throws. You're just looking for something to turn this into a lengthy argument. He came up with 76 catches that season and a back doesn't accomplish that by catching a bunch of balls down the field. A back can line up wide and still catch a short throw and turn it into a sizable gain. Walker had a good average because of his great speed. He was able to turn short throws into huge plays. Zeke has turned two short throws into long TDs during his career. If you want to spend all day on this go ahead but what I've pointed out is a fact.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Emmitt is top 5 ever. Eagles fans talk a lot of stupid stuff on their message board, I’m sure you can imagine. But one thing you’ll never see is people comparing anyone to Reggie White. This thread is blasfemous.