News: Zeke's swan song season

CWR

Reaction score
Lets see what happens, Zeke could have a good year the team could have success and Zeke could decide to redo his contract at better team terms...He will not get a seond big contract and I'm sure he knows it.

Yes, I suspect he takes a pay cut to stay here. Not necessarily for unselfish reasons, but because even with the cut he probably still does better than what he'd do on the open market. He will get us 1200 yds this year, and that'll be enough for the Jones boys to keep him around.

manster4ever

Reaction score
.....some here said not to draft him at #4 overall too

Yeah, I kinda suspected it wouldn't go well. Now that PED's and Steroids are outta the game, most RB's don't play at a high level after year five. Which is just about where he's at. Just too much damn pounding in this game. Some resent the guy and I do think he could've been in a little better shape but again...brutal sport and I don't think most of us can comprehend just how brutal it is.

ESisback

Reaction score
Sounds about right....and that's why they structure the contract the way they did. But I won't shed any tears...he made his money and his bed. RB's have a short shelf life. He'll go to one more team and play a mediocre couple seasons and be done by 30. Smart cookie btw...get out with his health while he can.

Retire at 30 with 100 million dollars?

Sydla

Reaction score
Right. As Zeke could be MVP of the SB, and redoes his contract for the better.
But the haters will still not like it.

But yet everyone from the team, top to bottom, players and local media say how a great teammate Zeke is, and how he really matured as a person over the last 6 years.

Brad Sham was saying this last week on NFLN. But yet no one posts these type of clips. I will need to see if it is out there anywhere.

He has a ridiculous cap hit this year and next year.

If he plays for that cap hit in 2023, that’s gross mismanagement on the part of the Jones.

Some are letting their Zeke fanboyism get in the way of rational thought.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has a ridiculous cap hit this year and next year.

If he plays for that cap hit in 2023, that’s gross mismanagement on the part of the Jones.

Some are letting their Zeke fanboyism get in the way of rational thought.

No they are not letting any fanboy stuff getting in the way. As Zeke”s contract will be restructured. It doesn’t take much for all to know that is a given.

The Zeke haters are wishful thinking. I actually think the Zeke haters want him to have a bad season instead of a successful playoff run. Just to say they were right.

Flamma

Reaction score
I didn't mean he would get his contract extended. Pay attention to the conversation. I mean his career as a Cowboy will be extended beyond this coming season.

In that case, I agree. They're not saving much by getting rid of him anyway.

Flamma

Reaction score
No they are not letting any fanboy stuff getting in the way. As Zeke”s contract will be restructured. It doesn’t take much for all to know that is a given.

The Zeke haters are wishful thinking. I actually think the Zeke haters want him to have a bad season instead of a successful playoff run. Just to say they were right.

There's really not much they can do. He may take a pay cut, but he's not giving any money back. So unless they restructure his contract by pushing money forward, he's a guaranteed 11m cap hit next year at best.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry really is a true buffoon if zeke is restructured. He’s a buffoon anyway, proving it time and time again, so it wouldn’t really be a surprise! The team and some fans still talk like we have a superstar RB and actually believe that. At no point from today even with a restructure, does he warrant the paycheck or the workload.

Sydla

Reaction score

Apparently it does. Because a restructure of Elliott at this point is a dumb idea. Because what a restructure does is just take his current cap hits and spread them into future years making it even tougher to cut him down the road. In fact, note that the Cowboys restructured other big contracts this offseason (Lawrence and Martin and Dak) and dumped Cooper and Collins. But the one big contract they didn't touch? Elliott's. Because they know, they can't restructure or they are handcuffing themselves to Elliott for longer than they may want.

Elliott is likely getting cut in 2023 or he's going to have to take a pay cut. A contract restructure would be downright stupid on the part of the Cowboys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry really is a true buffoon if zeke is restructured. He’s a buffoon anyway, proving it time and time again, so it wouldn’t really be a surprise! The team and some fans still talk like we have a superstar RB and actually believe that. At no point from today even with a restructure, does he warrant the paycheck or the workload.
apparently, Jones isnt the only one.
  • 1. Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey: $16 million 442 yards 2 tds
  • 2. Saints RB Alvin Kamara: $15 million 898 yards 4 tds
  • 2. Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott: $15 million 1002 yards 10tds
  • 4. Vikings RB Dalvin Cook: $12.6 million 1159 yards 6 tds
  • 5. Titans RB Derrick Henry: $12.5 million 937 yards 10tds
  • 6. Browns RB Nick Chubb: $12.2 million 1259 yards 8 tds
  • 7. Packers RB Aaron Jones: $12 million 799 yards 4tds
  • 7. Bengals QB Joe Mixon: $12 million 1205 yards 12 tds

thin addition many under that making 7-10mil also not high producers. so if zeke has nice year and restructures for 7mil around where Fournette and others are, why is that big deal?

Big_D

Reaction score
thin addition many under that making 7-10mil also not high producers. so if zeke has nice year and restructures for 7mil around where Fournette and others are, why is that big deal?

because you’re still trying to sell the 300 carry superstar bell cow RB and it’s a problem. And it will continue to be a problem at a position that shouldn’t be overpaid. Specially for a guy with no home run ability. Good RB? Yes but way overvalued as long as he’s on the roster. He could have a role and be good, but that’s not what’s being sold here and that simply won’t change!

Sydla

Reaction score

Because a "restructure" means they would then take next year's high cap hit and push it into future years making it tougher for them to get out from under the contract if say, in 2024 Elliott isn't effective as he once was, etc. People need to understand that a "restructure" doesn't make cap hits go away. It's just an accounting trick to push cap hits into future years.

Next year is the first real chance they can get out from the contract. Again, the Cowboys were in "create cap space" mode this offseason. They dumped Cooper. They dumped Collins to save cap space. They also restructured Martin, Dak and Lawrence. But they didn't touch Elliott's. The reality is they don't want to kick any more money into future years at this point with Elliott.

The only way Elliott stays IMO, is if he agrees to take a pay cut, which isn't the same as a restructure.

blueblood70

Reaction score
because you’re still trying to sell the 300 carry superstar bell cow RB and it’s a problem. And it will continue to be a problem at a position that shouldn’t be overpaid. Specially for a guy with no home run ability. Good RB? Yes but way overvalued as long as he’s on the roster. He could have a role and be good, but that’s not what’s being sold here and that simply won’t change!
No selling, its sold

those are CURRENT facts and comps. All actually right now facts..you are living in the past overly focusses on nothing really...

he here, hes paid, and he will be here this season.. accept it or move onto another subject.its lost cause to debate things that wont chage,,

ESisback

Reaction score

Because he’s a Dallas Cowboy. Because Jerry Jones is the owner.

Big_D

Reaction score
No selling, its sold

those are CURRENT facts and comps. All actually right now facts..you are living in the past overly focusses on nothing really...

he here, hes paid, and he will be here this season.. accept it or move onto another subject.its lost cause to debate things that wont chage,,

lol case in point. It’s hilarious. You’re obviously still buying it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Because he’s a Dallas Cowboy. Because Jerry Jones is the owner.
response makes zero sense go back and rethink, i showed many OTHER teams not run by the jones getting the same or less value from the RB positions..maybe your hate blinded your eyes while reading. This was a PRO Zeke response. go back to the beginning, read & respond slowly.

blueblood70

Reaction score
lol case in point. It’s hilarious. You’re obviously still buying it.
No i showed comps that the jones are not the only one paying a rB and getting similar or worse bang for their buck., get over it TROLL...your troll eyes are deceiving you as you are only comparing zeke to old zeke and not to his CURRENT peers. zekes first 8 games 5.1 YPC and in top 3 as RB injury set him back not eroding skills. wake up hater.

ESisback

Reaction score
response makes zero sense go back and rethink, i showed many OTHER teams not run by the jones getting the same or less value from the RB positions..maybe your hate blinded your eyes while reading. This was a PRO Zeke response. go back to the beginning, read & respond slowly.

Simply answering the question “why is it such a big deal?” The media MAKES it a big deal because it involves Dallas, their bread anc butter topic.

No “hate” involved. Relax.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score

No different than the Dak deniers.The truth is they are both overpaid.The truth is they both have declined.In part because of The line decline in part because of toll on body. honestly Id love for both of them to ball out this year but it matters not to me if both are gone next year.It wont happen but neither are so valuable we cant move on from them although i think dak being a QB presents more value than zeke.

Some of you guys arguing so hard for Zeke though must be serious OSU homers. It was stupid to take him where we did in 16 and even dumber to double down and extend him early. That said Hes just one in a long list of dumb choiced by Booger!