ZONERS: ROMO is the best QB in Cowboys history

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;1636668 said:
My opinion:

Romo is a mixture of Aikman and Staubach in my eyes. He has the mobility and escapability of Roger and he has some of Aikman's accuracy.

That's not saying he's better or even as good as either at this point, but he could be eventually.

He has that leadership gene that Aikman seemed to not have. I know I'll catch a lot of flak for this but Aikman wasn't that great of a leader. He was stoic and demanded the best from his teammates... but he didn't lead like Romo does. He didn't have the moxie and confidence that Romo exudes in the huddle. Romo is more like Favre in that way... he just has a blast out there on the field and his teammates really believe that as long as time is left on the clock, Romo can win it for them... as long as they do their part.

Romo is loved by all his teammates... both on offense and defense. Heck, TO is his biggest fan and that is saying a lot because of his jealousy when they get the spotlight for his TD catches. He cant help but love Tony, though. What's not to love? Romo is approachable and a terrific teammate. Aikman wasn't approachable and many of his teammates didn't really even know him.

As far as physical ability, Aikman had more, except in the mobility and escapability department. His arm was better than Romo's is... but not a whole lot. If the play broke down though... that was it for Aikman. It was take a sack or throw it away and come back for the next play. With Romo, he can make things happen once the play breaks down. Some of his best plays happen once things break down. Now some of his mistakes happen then too... but he's learning to take the sack or throw it away if simply nothing is there. Still, a lot of the time he's creating something out of nothing... a thing that Aikman almost never did.

Aikman was a little more accurate, but one thing that Romo does better than Aikman IMO is throw the deep ball. As accurate as Troy was, he would miss the deep throw most of the time. Tony will hit it a little more than Aikman did.

Give Aikman the edge in accuracy but Romo's ability to make something out of nothing, his better deep ball and his uncanny ability to lead the team and you have a guy who could end up eclipsing Aikman in more ways than in the record book.

Roger could move and escape the rush just like Romo. He could make something out of nothing just like Tony. His arm strength was similar to Romo's. In fact, I'd say that Tony is more like Roger than like Aikman in both physical ability and the way they play(ed). Tony does have a quicker release, which is vital in today's NFL. Roger also had the team in the palm of his hands just like Tony does and like Aikman never quite did.

However, Romo has that riverboat gambler, rugged Cowboy persona (like Favre) that Roger didn't have. A little bit of a mischevious glint in his eye and a love for playing QB that I've only seen out of Favre and maybe Marino. Marino was uber-competitive and so is Tony. Romo just glows after a win and you can see the pain in his eyes after a loss.

Roger was the best Cowboy QB of all time, IMO. He was the leader that Troy couldn't be and he could make things happen on his own. In other words... Roger could pick the team up on his shoulders and take them to a win. Will them to a win. That's something that Troy just couldn't do. He was perfect for the well oiled machine that was the early 90's Cowboys... but when the talent started going or when other's had bad days... he just couldn't do enough to pull out the win. He almost did it in the 1994 NFC Championship game against the 9'ers... but he didn't quite do it. That was as close as he got, IMO.

Roger could lift the whole team and take them there. Tony Romo can do that too, IMO. Like I said, I know I'll get lambasted for this but it's the way I feel.

Right now I'd put Roger at #1, Aikman at #2 and Romo at #3. However, with continued play like we've seen so far and a couple of world championships... a mature Tony Romo seriously could push both Roger and Troy down to #'s 2 and 3, respectively.

Romo hasn't done it yet... but that young kid is well on his way to becoming one of the best ever. Just watch. He's got that something that makes the great one's, Hall of Famers.

I don't think this because of last night's game either... I've been thinking this since last year. He's got something special and he's going to do a few things:

1. Re-write the Dallas recordbooks... maybe some NFL records as well.
2. Break the bank when Jerry finally signs him.
3. Win some championships
4. Change the way teams look for QB's. Not that they'll look at late rounders... but they'll look very hard at leadership (moxie, if you will), toughness, pocket presence, the ability to improvise and look less at arm strength and other measurables.
5. Become a major media darling and get oodles of endorsement deals because he's got the perfect personality for that.
6. Make CrazyCowboy look brilliant!

I know, I know... go ahead and hit me with it. Knee jerk... koolaid drinker... Romosexual... whatever. Hit me with it, but it won't change the fact that I see things unfolding exactly like I just wrote.

In celebration of Nors... "bring it" :D

Great post and you nailed what made Staubach a slight tick greater than Aikman -

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
My opinion:

Romo is a mixture of Aikman and Staubach in my eyes. He has the mobility and escapability of Roger and he has some of Aikman's accuracy.

That's not saying he's better or even as good as either at this point, but he could be eventually.

He has that leadership gene that Aikman seemed to not have. I know I'll catch a lot of flak for this but Aikman wasn't that great of a leader. He was stoic and demanded the best from his teammates... but he didn't lead like Romo does. He didn't have the moxie and confidence that Romo exudes in the huddle. Romo is more like Favre in that way... he just has a blast out there on the field and his teammates really believe that as long as time is left on the clock, Romo can win it for them... as long as they do their part.

Romo is loved by all his teammates... both on offense and defense. Heck, TO is his biggest fan and that is saying a lot because of his jealousy when they get the spotlight for his TD catches. He cant help but love Tony, though. What's not to love? Romo is approachable and a terrific teammate. Aikman wasn't approachable and many of his teammates didn't really even know him.

As far as physical ability, Aikman had more, except in the mobility and escapability department. His arm was better than Romo's is... but not a whole lot. If the play broke down though... that was it for Aikman. It was take a sack or throw it away and come back for the next play. With Romo, he can make things happen once the play breaks down. Some of his best plays happen once things break down. Now some of his mistakes happen then too... but he's learning to take the sack or throw it away if simply nothing is there. Still, a lot of the time he's creating something out of nothing... a thing that Aikman almost never did.

Aikman was a little more accurate, but one thing that Romo does better than Aikman IMO is throw the deep ball. As accurate as Troy was, he would miss the deep throw most of the time. Tony will hit it a little more than Aikman did.

Give Aikman the edge in accuracy but Romo's ability to make something out of nothing, his better deep ball and his uncanny ability to lead the team and you have a guy who could end up eclipsing Aikman in more ways than in the record book.

Roger could move and escape the rush just like Romo. He could make something out of nothing just like Tony. His arm strength was similar to Romo's. In fact, I'd say that Tony is more like Roger than like Aikman in both physical ability and the way they play(ed). Tony does have a quicker release, which is vital in today's NFL. Roger also had the team in the palm of his hands just like Tony does and like Aikman never quite did.

However, Romo has that riverboat gambler, rugged Cowboy persona (like Favre) that Roger didn't have. A little bit of a mischevious glint in his eye and a love for playing QB that I've only seen out of Favre and maybe Marino. Marino was uber-competitive and so is Tony. Romo just glows after a win and you can see the pain in his eyes after a loss.

Roger was the best Cowboy QB of all time, IMO. He was the leader that Troy couldn't be and he could make things happen on his own. In other words... Roger could pick the team up on his shoulders and take them to a win. Will them to a win. That's something that Troy just couldn't do. He was perfect for the well oiled machine that was the early 90's Cowboys... but when the talent started going or when other's had bad days... he just couldn't do enough to pull out the win. He almost did it in the 1994 NFC Championship game against the 9'ers... but he didn't quite do it. That was as close as he got, IMO.

Roger could lift the whole team and take them there. Tony Romo can do that too, IMO. Like I said, I know I'll get lambasted for this but it's the way I feel.

Right now I'd put Roger at #1, Aikman at #2 and Romo at #3. However, with continued play like we've seen so far and a couple of world championships... a mature Tony Romo seriously could push both Roger and Troy down to #'s 2 and 3, respectively.

Romo hasn't done it yet... but that young kid is well on his way to becoming one of the best ever. Just watch. He's got that something that makes the great one's, Hall of Famers.

I don't think this because of last night's game either... I've been thinking this since last year. He's got something special and he's going to do a few things:

4. Change the way teams look for QB's. Not that they'll look at late rounders... but they'll look very hard at leadership (moxie, if you will), toughness, pocket presence, the ability to improvise and look less at arm strength and other measurables.
5. Become a major media darling and get oodles of endorsement deals because he's got the perfect personality for that.

I know, I know... go ahead and hit me with it. Knee jerk... koolaid drinker... Romosexual... whatever. Hit me with it, but it won't change the fact that I see things unfolding exactly like I just wrote.

You my friend, are a genius. Well done.

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I see a lot of people rating Romo at #3. It is WAAAYYY to early to be putting him up there.

QB for the Dallas Cowboys is a sacred place. The single most revered position in sports, imo. People need to slow down a bit. The man has only started eleven regular season games.

Imo, he has not passed guys like Meredith and White, and still has a ways to go inorder to do so. I believe he will someday, but to say he already has after only 11 games is just blind, fanatical, wishful thinking.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;1636672 said:
It's amazing what a terrific performance like last night can do to a fan... oh, and a little thing called a "ban", can change peoples thoughts as well. :p:

Thats not true candidly - I was all over Romo 3+ years ago as a better prospect than Henson. Lets move on its 2007 and Romo is deservedly our QB of the future and now.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
So two quarterbacks with seven Super Bowls between them don't even make the cut. Lovely.

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Nors;1636747 said:
I was all over Romo 3+ years ago as a better prospect than Henson.

Well, to be fair Montavious Stanley would probably be a better QB prospect than Henson.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
The ability to make something happen....Staubach had it, Romo has it... I am on record as saying that I haven't seen that in Dallas since Staubach...

also...

Does anybody remember how when Aikman had newish WR's the problems we would keep having getting them the ball... it doesn't happen with Romo nor did it happen with Staubach...Why is that you may ask...well I believe it is because they don't need to have everything perfect around them....Aikman was a perfectionist...

escapability... Staubach had it, Romo has it...Aikman never did they all had some wheels when they were younger but the ability to move in the pocket to make the first man miss... even with the putrid line in front of aikman does anybody truly believe Romo or Staubach would have been sacked 11 times in that philly game...

I idolized Staubach as a kid and Romo is the closest thing I have seen to Roger in Dallas...

if things go the way I think they will CC is gonna be having a good chuckle on all you nay sayers...

mmohican29

Reaction score
I'll just say in less than a season's worth of starts, I have never seen a more polished QB in my life on ANY team. Now, he has a long long ways to go before he can be the best Cowboys QB ever... but I wouldn't trade him right now for the next 3 of Cleveland's number 1 draft picks.

His release, touch, and accuracy are incredible. His arm strength is not top flight, but plenty good enough. IF he can eliminate the "1" throw we get from every game that is just inexplicably bad, look out.

Tony can be as good as he wants to be, plain and simple. The sky is the limit.

Aikbach

Reaction score
One for now and another for later, first off if you wish to say he is the best undrafted quarterback Dallas has ever started then you would be correct but until he wins 4 super bowls he will rank behind Aikman and until he wins three he will rank behind Staubach.

He has however surpassed Quincy Carter and Eddie LaBaron in prestige.

dargarin

Reaction score
Doomsday;1636598 said:
Worse post of the year nominee. :bang2:

Quit living in the past. You know it's true! Technically Romo is the best. 65.1% career accuracy. Aikman 61.5%. Staubach 57%. Let's hope it stays that way!:grin:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zaxor;1636768 said:
The ability to make something happen....Staubach had it, Romo has it... I am on record as saying that I haven't seen that in Dallas since Staubach...

also...

Does anybody remember how when Aikman had newish WR's the problems we would keep having getting them the ball... it doesn't happen with Romo nor did it happen with Staubach...Why is that you may ask...well I believe it is because they don't need to have everything perfect around them....Aikman was a perfectionist...

escapability... Staubach had it, Romo has it...Aikman never did they all had some wheels when they were younger but the ability to move in the pocket to make the first man miss... even with the putrid line in front of aikman does anybody truly believe Romo or Staubach would have been sacked 11 times in that philly game...

I idolized Staubach as a kid and Romo is the closest thing I have seen to Roger in Dallas...

if things go the way I think they will CC is gonna be having a good chuckle on all you nay sayers...

Zaxor,

Thanks for bringing up more GREAT examples to explain my points and you are so SPOT ON. ROMO just puts the ball all over the place and he can scramble just enough to be successful.

I love Roger and Troy.......but, production wise....if ROMO stays healthy.......QB records in Dallas will all reflect ROMO before long! :)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My opinion:

Terrific post.

If someone can't see that Romo is special... then they aren't looking hard enough or they are near that river in Egypt... denial.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Zaxor;1636768 said:

Aikman didn't have "newish" WR's, he had Billy Davis, Wayne McGarity Anthony Miller, David Lafleur/Bjornson (TE) and a host of other hacks who were seconf rate receivers and could never run the proper routes in a timing based offense. After Irvin, we gave Troy very little help. You don't have to prop Romo up by knocking down Aikman or pointing out some perceived flaws in a HOF QB. Romo should be as lucky one day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't see the need for comparisons. Tony Romo will make his own name for himself he is not Roger and he is not Troy. Why fans feel to need to add pressure to players by trying to compare them to greats of the game is ridicules

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dodger12;1637263 said:
Aikman didn't have "newish" WR's, he had Billy Davis, Wayne McGarity Anthony Miller, David Lafleur/Bjornson (TE) and a host of other hacks who were seconf rate receivers and could never run the proper routes in a timing based offense. After Irvin, we gave Troy very little help. You don't have to prop Romo up by knocking down Aikman or pointing out some perceived flaws in a HOF QB. Romo should be as lucky one day.

I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Aikman did have Harper who was a 1st round pick and a talented receiver.

Kevin Williams was a 2nd rounder who wasn't big but was very fast/quick.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1637271 said:
I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Aikman did have Harper who was a 1st round pick and a talented receiver.

Kevin Williams was a 2nd rounder who wasn't big but was very fast/quick.

Exactly, and remind folks where Sam Hurd was picked and Crayton was 7th!

ROMO just says to get open!

I rewatched the game and ROMO was throwing darts. When he learns to pertect the ball better then I will be ready to justify ROMO behind Manning and Brady......then everyone will call me CRAZY! :eek:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Dodger12;1637263 said:

I'm not putting down Aikman...if I said the sky was blue would I be putting down the sky?....

Romo was a undrafted FA and was throwing to scrubs most of the time..that may have something to do with it...

But most assuredly taking from just what we know, Aikman had problems throwing to scrubs... that is not a put down that is the sky is blue thing...
same can be said about sidestepping sacks again no Aikman put down a sky is blue thing...

Aikman had incredible accuracy but he wasn't called roboQB for nothing... everything about him looked pretty preprogrammed that is not again is not a bad thing as it brought in 3 SB's... Norv himself said Aikman was a perfectionist both to his profit and his detriment... also did it ever look like Aikman was enjoying himself out there... Rarely as he was too critical on himself and his teammates...in fact I remember one year he tried to be less critical on himself and his teammates...didn't work but he tried...he is what he is a HOF QB...

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Staubach #1, Aikman #2, and Romo "I" (incomplete).

Great posts from many of you.

I thought I saw glimpses of Staubach in Romo several years ago, in Romo's first preseason performances. I said it then (and, of course, people thought I was crazy).

Romo has "it." He can make enough positive plays in the clutch. The only question I have is whether he consistently can avoid enough negative plays.

The other very important thing that Romo has going for him is his situation: He's in a great one. Because of how the team is presently structured (solid OL, great WR, excellent TE, good but not great running game, suspect defense, aggressive offensive coordinator), outcomes of games regularly will be decided by Romo. The outcomes of games will ride on his shoulders and, fortunately, he has the tools on this team to succeed.

Romo has an opportunity to shine in a way that Aikman never did. Aikman's teams were so good that the outcomes of games didn't rest so much on his individual shoulders. Romo's team isn't nearly that good. He's cast in the role of "difference maker." It is a great situation for him. Sort of like what Elway had in his earlier years in Denver or what Fouts had with the Chargers.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
With owner Jerry Jones wanting more games to evaluate Romo's financial value to the team, the young quarterback averaged 14.38 yards per attempt, the third-highest figure in team history and a number Hall of Famers Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman never achieved. -- Ed Werder

More evidence above for ROMO folks........from Mr. Werder