2005 Commanders=2003 Cowboys

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
the fact is the SKins were 5-6 last year at one point in the seaon... how many teams go to the playoffs after going 5-6 in the history of the game?

Now Skins fans will say they went on a "run" and they did v. teams that had variuos troubles... Zona (no running game and a back up Qb), RAMS (Mike Martz drama), Philly (Injuries and TO saga), ELI ( who has yet to beat a .500 team on the road), the BOYS (No OTs)! the SKINs major injuries were HOLDMAN and THOMAS who was hurt very late in the year!!!

I dont like to talk about what a team did the year before like TROY AIKMAN says what a team did the year before rarely translates to the next! prime examples of how the SUPER BOWL loser misses the playoffs, while back in the day it was the SUPER BOWL winner who often missed the playoffs.

Brunell, at 36 has lost his job due to injury before and often plays injured to fight father time. What makes Brunell effective is his ability to move in the pocket without that he is one of the worst QBs in the league! His injury in the offseason may or may not effect his report with new WRs El and Lloyd!!!

OLINE the OL as a starting unit is above average with the return of injured RG. But with the signing of ex Cowboy TWALTER reveals the lack of depth they have accross the board! the Skins may have the worst backup OLMEN in the league!

Gameplan... the new O put in by Saunders will almost eliminate the playing of seeing #1 pick JCAMBELL in 06... instead they will look to TCOLLINS! Do they have the players to run from the 3 wide set on a consistant basis? Skins fans say dont know! or will the platoon of new blocking TE Faurio and 3 WR El tip the hand of the O unlike the O in KC! Will Lloyd find a reason to BLOCK or will he just show the style that got him traded from the worst O in the HISTORY of the NFL!!!

Freeagents... with the bevy of $ that was spent to lure (El and CARTER) from their home towns is almost sure to backfire, El left Chicago for 2 million! Skins fans think his heart may not be in it... Most of these FA (El, AARCH, CARTER) have little to prove with the amount of up front money they have!

Defense... the D that carried the team late lost playmaker Lavar who commands opponents pure attention... that focus now will be directed to Carter who will have to replace Wynn (the heart of the D w/4+ yrs of starts) with more than what he did in SF (3-4 or not)... the Lavar loss will also force TAYLOR into more coverage packages!

Secondary... Springs will have to prove every week that 31 is not too old to play CB. AArch will have to prove he is worth 10 million or the thung in Staylor may come out in a contract holdout! Rogers will be put on an island every week once the Skins figure out they have NO PASS RUSH!

what the SKINs did in FA tells me that the "Higher ups" know what happen last year was a fluke and most Skins fans do to, why else would they crow so much over 10 wins... and even though the NFC EAST may be the best division in football now, it wasnt a year ago in fact it was very poor late in the year!

the life of a SKINS fan!!!

:lmao2:

If I was a Dallas fan, I'd be worried as hell, the last year the Commanders went 10-6 under Gibbs and made the second round of the playoffs, we went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl the next year :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
If I was a Dallas fan, I'd be worried as hell, the last year the Commanders went 10-6 under Gibbs and made the second round of the playoffs, we went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl the next year :)
Hello my Ticket to Fed Ex.

If you knew anything about football you'd realize that this isn't a trend. You have 2 chances to go 14-2 from this division, slim and none.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
The biggest difference is in our 4 losses in the second half, we lost to teams with a combined record of 44-20

Their 5 game win stear last year consisted of teams with a combined record of 37-43.

Further, The Rams with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB,

The Eags with No TO, No McNabb, No westbrook as well as a few defenders defenders,

Cowboys with no Flozell, No Henry, a JJ who was hobbled and splitting time with barber, half our LBs on IR.

Cardinals are the Cardinals lol

and the Gints

you should have mentioned that they beat their 3 division rivals in the final 3 games by an average of 18 points- one of them being the division winner and the latter 2 without perhaps their best O lineman.

and the D allowed 4 TD's in those games- outside of the dallas garbage time TD after the skins had built a 35 point lead, they didnt allow a TD in the second half of those games.

and given that they had the second toughest schedule in the league last season, a few breaks here and there is like karma.

spin as you wish.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Hello my Ticket to Fed Ex.

If you knew anything about football you'd realize that this isn't a trend. You have 2 chances to go 14-2 from this division, slim and none.

Just pointing out that the last two times Gibbs has been beaten in the playoffs short of the Super Bowl (excluding 1992 after which he retired)....1986 Championship game loss to Giants, 1990 divisional round loss to 49ers, the following year has resulted in a Super Bowl championship.

Once is coincidence, twice is a bit more then that.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Just pointing out that the last two times Gibbs has been beaten in the playoffs short of the Super Bowl (excluding 1992 after which he retired)....1986 Championship game loss to Giants, 1990 divisional round loss to 49ers, the following year has resulted in a Super Bowl championship.

Naivete is funny.

If it happens for you in 2006 I'll be the first to take a bite of crow. It simply isn't a trend and that's the fact.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Naivete is funny.

If it happens for you in 2006 I'll be the first to take a bite of crow. It simply isn't a trend and that's the fact.

I know its not a trend my friend. Just reason to believe its possible. Then again, all four NFC East teams have similar possibilities/aspirations.

wileedog

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

That was a completely different NFL than this one. Gibbs' teams then were stocked with depth. Nobody is anymore, and certainly not this Gibbs team.

You guys may go to the SB, or have 2-4 key injuries and have a losing season. You simply can't go by that kind of history anymore.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I know its not a trend my friend. Just reason to believe its possible. Then again, all four NFC East teams have similar possibilities/aspirations.
Hey, if you need false hope be my guest. Looking to past "trends" would never be my method.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Hey, if you need false hope be my guest. Looking to past "trends" would never be my method.

Doesn't being a fan of any team in the preseason presuppose having false hope, at least until the season has actually come to fruition? As far as I'm concerned everyones 0-0 to start the season, and I wouldn't call it having false hope when my team made it to the second round of the playoffs last year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Doesn't being a fan of any team in the preseason presuppose having false hope, at least until the season has actually come to fruition? As far as I'm concerned everyones 0-0 to start the season, and I wouldn't call it having false hope when my team made it to the second round of the playoffs last year.
No, I don't think so.

You had a productive off season. You had a good 2005. Hoping to build on that isn't false hope IMO.

Looking back 15 years and more for a sign from above...that's false hope.

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

Stop.

Just please stop.

almost 50% of the teams that make the playoffs each year do not return the next year. Making the playoffs last year means zippo. I'm begging you to stop using it in your (in general, not you - and by not you, I mean - you:eek::)) reasoning.

kartr

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Washington has a lot of adjusting to do with changes on offense being phased in as fast as Saunders dares, but unless Clinton Portis gets hurt like Julius Jones did in 2004, there's no reason to think Washington will totally tank. I feel their QB played over his head last year and will have to find his rythm this year, but they have a good defense that can keep them in most games.

IMO it is the Giants who will take the step back. Manning is not what everyone thinks he is, and there's something about everyone on offense besides Tiki Barber that makes it seem like they don't try hard enough until it's almost too late. That's borderline unprofessional.

I think you're on to something. Al Saunders will make the Skins offense better, Moss will be in his second year with Brunell and this time he'll have some help at his position. They also added some good players in free agency and the draft on defense. They also have a true quarterback of the future, so this team is set. The Giants have a weak secondary, no backup qb and a young starting one, so they're very fragile.

RedskinNation

Reaction score
This thread is hillarious...although I do respect the Cowboys as our Rival and (respectfully DESPISE them) some of the points brought up are compete garbage....yet other Cowboy fans seem to be realistic and make good arguments.

The post of the YEAR by far is whoever mentioned that our Offensive Line backups are bad, we have no depth & they are no names.....that is comical.

What team in the NFL has PRO BOWL, HOUSEHOLD names as offensive line backups????????? PLEASE TELL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe - all o-line backups are fringe players at best!!!! Back up Qb's are one thing...but a back up Left Guard??? Whats he proven???

Im not saying our O-line (starters) are the '91 hogs but they are very solid as a unit.

On the serious side, our DLine last year was WEAK on the ends...both Daniels and Wynn were and are AWFUL in my opinion....i to this day do not know how that bum Daniels sacked Bledsoe 3 times in one game and looked like Reggie White. Conversely, our DT's are very underrated....Griffin is a stud and Sala'vea is underrated. I think our O-line overall is very average...atleast last year they were. We have acquired Andre Carter, no idea how well he will do but he cant be any worse than Wynn or Daniels thats for sure.

Was '06 a fluke by the Commanders? Maybe, mabye not. We will see.....we blew a few games that we should of won...and stole 1 (vs. Dal) that we should have lost. But it is what it is and 10 wins in the NFL is very solid.

The offensive scheme last year left a little to be desired, so what do u do? Improve it right? or get better players? How about we atleast try both. No telling how long it will take to mesh but I would rather go in this direction than have the Fred Flintstone of offenses run for the 3rd straight year.

Having Brunnell back there really makes me nervous and I think he will be the one who makes or breaks the season considering our D has the same system, the same players ( minus LaVar) and we added depth in the secondary.

Should be interesting week 2.

Heres to a Great season in the NFC East and the rivalry continuing!

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Stop.

Just please stop.

almost 50% of the teams that make the playoffs each year do not return the next year. Making the playoffs last year means zippo. I'm begging you to stop using it in your (in general, not you - and by not you, I mean - you:eek::)) reasoning.

2001: Rams Patriots (Rams made playoffs in 2000)
2002: Bucs Raiders (both made playoffs in 2001)
2003: Patriots Panthers (neither made playoffs in 2002)
2004: Patriots Eagles (both made playoffs in 2003)
2005: Seahawks Steelers (both made playoffs in 2004)

Ok, well if you look at the last 5 years....there have been 10 teams making the Super Bowl...7 of which made the playoffs the previous year.

So I'd say there's a greater liklihood of making it to the SB after missing the playoffs then not, even in the era of free agency.

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
2001: Rams Patriots (Rams made playoffs in 2000)
2002: Bucs Raiders (both made playoffs in 2001)
2003: Patriots Panthers (neither made playoffs in 2002)
2004: Patriots Eagles (both made playoffs in 2003)
2005: Seahawks Steelers (both made playoffs in 2004)

Ok, well if you look at the last 5 years....there have been 10 teams making the Super Bowl...7 of which made the playoffs the previous year.

So I'd say there's a greater liklihood of making it to the SB after missing the playoffs then not, even in the era of free agency.

And there's a much greater chance of you not even making the playoffs.

kartr

Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
HMMMMMM, i am not sure about that, the one weakness they have if one is their defensive line.

Granted they have a great defensive coach, and sometimes you can do that by mirrors, schemes. To the best of my knowledge, they have no # 1 or # 2 on the defensive line, and pretty well on linebackers too, but their secondary has 2 number 1 picks, along with a number 2 from rams with adam whats his name, i think he was a #2, or might have been a number 1.

That in time, can get to you, when you play a dominant team with a huge dominant offensive line. Their offensive line does have 2 high picks in draft, along with a good rb, one good wr, and i think they just got one good wr in the trade, and its iffy with guy from pittsburgh, he never really did anything glaring dominant, but he did make clutch catches. They have a pretty good TE or H back.

But to me, thats it, along with their number 1 pick at QB, but he hasnt played a down yet in regular season, and they just switched over to a new offense, that it takes 2-3 years to make the switch and dominant.

so, yes, they could fall. I feel like Parcells said, you dominant with young players on defense, and we have built that now. If our offense can keep up with defense until mid november, then look out. We will have a nasty young defense.

Granted our QB situation is just as bad as Commanders, if Commanders QB goes down, look out, same thing for us cowboy fans, if bledsoe goes down, look out, trouble. I am still not fond of Romo, I have more hope in Henson, but you never know. just my opinion though, and our QB bledsoe is younger than brunnel, and if you remember, brunnel got hurt his first year he came over from his ex team, his first year with Commanders.

However, their offensive line, Commanders now isnt as deep as our offensive line is now, so, i think we can take the Commanders, we will have a nasty bigger meaner defense. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Campbell is head and shoulders better than our backup qb's. Campbell's last significant playing time was in 2004 at a major university in the SEC, Romo's last time was in 2002 for a small school, Henson's last significant time was in 2000. It's questionable if either Romo or Henson even belong in the NFL at this point.

superpunk

Reaction score
kartr said:
Jason Campbell is head and shoulders better than our backup qb's. Campbell's last significant playing time was in 2004 at a major university in the SEC, Romo's last time was in 2002 for a small school, Henson's last significant time was in 2000. It's questionable if either Romo or Henson even belong in the NFL at this point.

Plus, Campbell's got something else none of our QBs have...not even Bledsoe....

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You had a productive off season. You had a good 2005. Hoping to build on that isn't false hope IMO.

i was trying to say this in the thread the other day.