2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

juck

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4473488 said:
Someone needs to remind Pau that hes supposed to suck against Dallas.
Having our 3 best defenders out showed glaringly tonight. O well chit happens. Marion will be back and Wood next game. West is practicing also. He cant be too far.

MC KAos

Reaction score
meanwhile with minnesota, JJ Barea with a triple double? haha! i hope to god you guys dont get D-Will, just to see Cuban's reaction after blowing up a championship team for a pipe dream of "the 3D in big D" lol

MC KAos

Reaction score
just saw the next 5 games the mavs have, YIKES! all of them are loseable. you guys need people to step up, or missing the playoffs is a very likely possibility.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
has a team ever won the Championship and then missed the playoffs the next season? I can't recall if it happened to the Bulls, but if so, that was a special circumstance and I won't count it. It was a lockout and there was no real knowledge of when it would end.....so the team was blown up and Jordan retired. But other than that, I am not sure if a team won the title, then missed the postseason completely the following year.

Ren

Reaction score
Biggems;4477282 said:
has a team ever won the Championship and then missed the playoffs the next season? I can't recall if it happened to the Bulls, but if so, that was a special circumstance and I won't count it. It was a lockout and there was no real knowledge of when it would end.....so the team was blown up and Jordan retired. But other than that, I am not sure if a team won the title, then missed the postseason completely the following year.

There was no lockout before this season and Cuban totally didn't let important pieces to his championship team walk to buy his 3D lottery ticket

The situations are totally different :laugh2:

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4477054 said:
meanwhile with minnesota, JJ Barea with a triple double? haha! i hope to god you guys dont get D-Will, just to see Cuban's reaction after blowing up a championship team for a pipe dream of "the 3D in big D" lol

Berea no D Berea has benn nothing special at all this year

And I recently saw a list of the 5 worst contracts and Chandler was near the top.
It,s never as simple as it seems

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else saw it, but I watched the Thunder-Wolves double overtime on NBA TV last night and Barea was absolutely tearing them up. I'm not saying the Mavs should've paid him, but geez, he's way better than I ever thought he'd be when he first started getting some time with the Mavs. You keep thinking "he can't do that again" and then he does it again and again.

BTW, I wonder if any Mavs fan think it might be better in the long run to miss the playoffs? I think they will make it, but what if you got lucky in the lottery and got a good young player to go with Dirk and whatever FAs you get this year?

Ren

Reaction score
The NBA draft isn't the big deal the NFL draft is, so that's not really the same "win" in losing as it is in the NFL

Making the playoffs and being one and done or missing them completely makes no difference to me at this point. When you come of a title it's hard to have to lower your hopes to just making the playoffs.

I honestly don't get Cuban, his team proved a good team can beat the superstar teams yet not even a year later he sends half the team packing to create cap room so his team can have a chance to become what they just beat for the title

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ren;4477362 said:
The NBA draft isn't the big deal the NFL draft is, so that's not really the same "win" in losing as it is in the NFL

Making the playoffs and being one and done or missing them completely makes no difference to me at this point. When you come of a title it's hard to have to lower your hopes to just making the playoffs.

I honestly don't get Cuban, his team proved a good team can beat the superstar teams yet not even a year later he sends half the team packing to create cap room so his team can have a chance to become what they just beat for the title
Ren
Since Cuban has been the Mavs owner, they have been far and away one of the top franchises every year. He could care less about making a profit and always spends like a mad man.

They finally win a title last year and all the hell you can do is whine like a new born. The team is old and long-term they need to be refreshed.
Even the Spurs have never repeated.

Good grief man, Cuban is not perfect. He always has the team's best interest in mind. If you don't think he made a good move, so be it...but this constant whining is getting old. He put the team together that brought an NBA title to Dallas!
Maybe you should thank the guy every day instead of b******* and moaning. I too, selfishly and with a short-term focus, would have liked one more year with group , though I feel pretty sure they would not have repeated. Everything came together perfectly last year and it was an amazing experience that I'll never forget. Vince, West and Wright were nice adds, Odom has been a disaster.

The decision to not overpay for Tyson and especially JJ long term may have been wrong, but we don't know that for sure. They did offer Tyson 20 mil for a year. JJ, well he just caught lightning in a bottle for a couple of series--he is not all that good and can't guard anyone. I do know that the decision was very difficult and was a joint one by Cuban/Nelson/Carlisle.,

MC KAos

Reaction score
Biggems;4477282 said:

the 69 celtics won the title, then won only 34 games in 1970 and missed the playoffs.

Ren;4477297 said:
There was no lockout before this season and Cuban totally didn't let important pieces to his championship team walk to buy his 3D lottery ticket

really? what is Dirk doing now that he is retired?

DFWJC;4477333 said:
Berea no D Berea has benn nothing special at all this year

And I recently saw a list of the 5 worst contracts and Chandler was near the top.
It,s never as simple as it seems

top five worst?!?!?! chandler isnt even the worst contract on the knicks! whomever made that list obviously doesnt give a crap about defense.

its not how good or bad other players might or might not be doing elsewhere. it was a conscious decision by mark cuban and nelson to let all their free agents go and try to set up their cap so they could sign 2 players to (almost) max deals. Unless there was some under the table deal only cuban and those players knew about, it was a stupid decision. You just won the title because of your depth, not because your top 3 were better than the other teams top 3, but you want to possibly build your team like the team that just lost the title? it was a big risk to take, and deron williams is talented, but he and dirk alone arent going to be enough for the mavs to be successful. they are going to need to rebuild through the draft (already traded their first pick) because you wont be able to get a lot of talent through free agency without overpaying for it. I personally would have taken the bird at hand than the two big birds in the bush. Dirk isnt getting any younger, if you guys sign deron, and arent able to add much more around them, what makes you think a big time free agent will want to come in 2013 if the mavs struggle again next year?

Chocolate Lab;4477343 said:
I don't know if anyone else saw it, but I watched the Thunder-Wolves double overtime on NBA TV last night and Barea was absolutely tearing them up. I'm not saying the Mavs should've paid him, but geez, he's way better than I ever thought he'd be when he first started getting some time with the Mavs. You keep thinking "he can't do that again" and then he does it again and again.

BTW, I wonder if any Mavs fan think it might be better in the long run to miss the playoffs? I think they will make it, but what if you got lucky in the lottery and got a good young player to go with Dirk and whatever FAs you get this year?

its not worth it to miss the playoffs, you really have to completely tank early on in the season to try to get a high lottery pick. its rare to get a really good talent past the 8th pick or so.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4477468 said:
Ren
Since Cuban has been the Mavs owner, they have been far and away one of the top franchises every year. He could care less about making a profit and always spends like a mad man.

They finally win a title last year and all the hell you can do is whine like a new born. The team is old and long-term they need to be refreshed.

Good grief man, Cuban is not perfect. He always has the team's best interest in mind. If you don't think he made a good move, so be it...but this constant whining is getting old. He put the team together that brought an NBA title to Dallas!
Maybe you should thank the guy every day instead of b******* and moaning.

The decision to not overpay for Tyson and especially JJ long term may have been wrong, but we don't know that for sure. I do know that the decision was very difficult and was a joint one by Cuban/Nelson/Carlisle. The did offer Tyson 20 mill by the way...for one year.

ya, this is the nba though, contracts are fully guaranteed, no one is taking that deal when they are as young as tyson is. he gets hurt, it might be his last contract. they offered everyone one year deals, which is a slap in the face, specially when those players just won you a title.

the big issue is that dirk is 33, will be 34 at the start of the next season. If i was a mavs fan, id be PISSED that they decided to basically duck tape the roster for one year to try and sign two big guys next season, and basically WASTING one of dirks last elite years.

i know you guys like to thing dirk is super human, but age catches up with players, specially BIG human beings, pretty quickly. its hard for a human of that size to run around, knees start to deteriorate. you blink and that player is a shell of his former self (TD, Shaq, and jermaine oneal are prime examples ive seen in my lifetime).

i just think its a waste of what is possibly Dirks final dominant season

ragman

Reaction score
Why don't the Mavs admit that the Lamar Odom experiment was a complete and total failure, and let him go? He doesn't want to be here, so release him.

juck

Reaction score
Mavs gave a horrible effort last night. I think a lot of this team knows that they wont be here next year. Also I wish LO would have been traded. His down attitude must be rubbing off on the team.

Ren

Reaction score
DFWJC;4477468 said:
Ren

They finally win a title last year and all the hell you can do is whine like a new born.
The team is old and long-term they need to be refreshed.

Maybe you should thank the guy every day instead of b******* and moaning. I too, selfishly and with a short-term focus, would have liked one more year with group , though I feel pretty sure they would not have repeated. Everything came together perfectly last year and it was an amazing experience that I'll never forget. Vince, West and Wright were nice adds, Odom has been a disaster.

The decision to not overpay for Tyson and especially JJ long term may have been wrong, but we don't know that for sure. They did offer Tyson 20 mil for a year. JJ, well he just caught lightning in a bottle for a couple of series--he is not all that good and can't guard anyone. I do know that the decision was very difficult and was a joint one by Cuban/Nelson/Carlisle.,

You're an idiot i'm not even going to try and play nice about it

Since when is questioning what he's doing the same as whining?

Ren

Reaction score
MC KAos;4477469 said:
really? what is Dirk doing now that he is retired?

Your example was terrible, "the Bulls did but they had to deal with a lockout and losing a bunch of players" No similarities at all right?

I'm really not in the mood to point out why that's a terrible example i am just going to walk away and hope you figure this one out on your own

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ren;4477530 said:
You're an idiot i'm not even going to try and play nice about it

Since when is questioning what he's doing the same as whining?

If you were questioning, that would one thing. But you've been beating that same drum for months now.

I guess for someone who has been tight with these guys for many years, it gets to me worse than it should. They're not perfect....none of us are.

Lol
I'm no idiot. If you think what I said was idiotic, that's your right.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4477476 said:
ya, this is the nba though, contracts are fully guaranteed, no one is taking that deal when they are as young as tyson is. he gets hurt, it might be his last contract.
No, I don't blame Tyson for going. The word was that he wanted out anyway. I have no idea why, but that is what I heard many times from one of his teammates.

Hey, I was pissed we lost Tyson too. very pissed. He was a big loss. But excluding a retiring Peja, they brought back 8 of the top 11 minutes guys.
They didn't fire the others, they were free agents. Free agents of championship teams get overpaid, that's how it works. I think of Alvin Harper and Larry Brown when I think of JJ Barea.

So Dirk, Marion, J Kidd, J Terry, Haywood, and last year role guys like Mahimi, Roddy B and Cardinal are all back and they added good pieces in Carter, West, Wright and they had hoped, Odom.

If this team gets healthy, on paper, they should be deeper than last year's group. But it looks like "on paper" may not work out.

The team lost 4 of their last 8 games to end the regular season and then it all came together. Take away the guys they addded this year and keep what we had last year, and I don't feel they would contend.

As good as your Spurs have been, they have never once repeated. In fact, the year after their 4 titles they managed to win the division once. It's not easy.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Ren;4477297 said:

You misread my post. The lockout I was referring to was the summer after the Bulls won their last title in 98. I was saying I wasnt sure if they made the playoffs in 99, but I wont count it because of the special circumstance.....the lockout caused the Bulls front office to blow the team up....Jordan retired, Pippen left, etc.....I figured I made that clear in my post but I guess not. The reason I didn't count the Bulls, was because if there was no lockout, the team would have come back for yet another year to try to 4peat.

It still didn't answer my question as to whether or not any NBA Champion has missed the playoffs the following year.

BTW, There was no lockout before this season? Then what do you call it? I guess you slept through 2011.....cause both the NFL and NBA dealt with lockouts.