2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
MC KAos;4477469 said:
the 69 celtics won the title, then won only 34 games in 1970 and missed the playoffs.

really? what is Dirk doing now that he is retired?

top five worst?!?!?! chandler isnt even the worst contract on the knicks! whomever made that list obviously doesnt give a crap about defense.

its not how good or bad other players might or might not be doing elsewhere. it was a conscious decision by mark cuban and nelson to let all their free agents go and try to set up their cap so they could sign 2 players to (almost) max deals. Unless there was some under the table deal only cuban and those players knew about, it was a stupid decision. You just won the title because of your depth, not because your top 3 were better than the other teams top 3, but you want to possibly build your team like the team that just lost the title? it was a big risk to take, and deron williams is talented, but he and dirk alone arent going to be enough for the mavs to be successful. they are going to need to rebuild through the draft (already traded their first pick) because you wont be able to get a lot of talent through free agency without overpaying for it. I personally would have taken the bird at hand than the two big birds in the bush. Dirk isnt getting any younger, if you guys sign deron, and arent able to add much more around them, what makes you think a big time free agent will want to come in 2013 if the mavs struggle again next year?

its not worth it to miss the playoffs, you really have to completely tank early on in the season to try to get a high lottery pick. its rare to get a really good talent past the 8th pick or so.

TY McKaos...at least someone answered my question.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Ren;4477536 said:
Your example was terrible, "the Bulls did but they had to deal with a lockout and losing a bunch of players" No similarities at all right?

I'm really not in the mood to point out why that's a terrible example i am just going to walk away and hope you figure this one out on your own

Ren.....don't get your panties in a bunch. I wasn't even comparing your team to the Bulls. I merely said I was omitting the 99 Bulls from the argument because of the special circumstances that led to that season. one last time....once the lockout of 98 happened, Jordan retired. Rodman either retired or left. Pippen went elsewhere.

MC KAos

Reaction score
juck;4477509 said:
Mavs gave a horrible effort last night. I think a lot of this team knows that they wont be here next year. Also I wish LO would have been traded. His down attitude must be rubbing off on the team.

Very true, attitude can be contagious and it seems like its rubbing off on them.

Ren;4477536 said:
Your example was terrible, "the Bulls did but they had to deal with a lockout and losing a bunch of players" No similarities at all right?

I'm really not in the mood to point out why that's a terrible example i am just going to walk away and hope you figure this one out on your own

It wasn't "my example" maybe you should go back and check who made the post, and I wouldn't blame the lockout on anything anyway since all the teams have to deal with it. The fact remains the bulls had an excuse to miss the playoffs, thy lost their 3 best players and their coach. If the mavs miss the playoffs this year they have no one to blame but themselves! And for the record, I don't think they will end up lower than a 5 seed

Biggems;4477986 said:
TY McKaos...at least someone answered my question.

No problem

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4477678 said:
No, I don't blame Tyson for going. The word was that he wanted out anyway. I have no idea why, but that is what I heard many times from one of his teammates.

Hey, I was pissed we lost Tyson too. very pissed. He was a big loss. But excluding a retiring Peja, they brought back 8 of the top 11 minutes guys.
They didn't fire the others, they were free agents. Free agents of championship teams get overpaid, that's how it works. I think of Alvin Harper and Larry Brown when I think of JJ Barea.

So Dirk, Marion, J Kidd, J Terry, Haywood, and last year role guys like Mahimi, Roddy B and Cardinal are all back and they added good pieces in Carter, West, Wright and they had hoped, Odom.

If this team gets healthy, on paper, they should be deeper than last year's group. But it looks like "on paper" may not work out.

The team lost 4 of their last 8 games to end the regular season and then it all came together. Take away the guys they addded this year and keep what we had last year, and I don't feel they would contend.

As good as your Spurs have been, they have never once repeated. In fact, the year after their 4 titles they managed to win the division once. It's not easy.

True about the spurs, but ever year but 2000(when Duncan was hurt before the playoffs and missed the rest of the season) they were close, they never struggled like this. But the rest of your points are great, I guess I just personally valued chandler's importance to the title run more than you or Mark Cuban did. I think he is in the same tier as anyone outside of Howard and Bynum and I think the smart move would have been to keep him even at that cost and then tried to add Dwill this summer. A core of Dwill, dirk and chandler is amazing IMO, but again maybe I over value chandler and his defensive impact. Not to mention the attitude he brought to the mavs last year, something that, as juck astutely pointed out, is being destroyed by odom.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4478018 said:
True about the spurs, but ever year but 2000(when Duncan was hurt before the playoffs and missed the rest of the season) they were close, they never struggled like this. But the rest of your points are great, I guess I just personally valued chandler's importance to the title run more than you or Mark Cuban did. I think he is in the same tier as anyone outside of Howard and Bynum and I think the smart move would have been to keep him even at that cost and then tried to add Dwill this summer. A core of Dwill, dirk and chandler is amazing IMO, but again maybe I over value chandler and his defensive impact. Not to mention the attitude he brought to the mavs last year, something that, as juck astutely pointed out, is being destroyed by odom.
Chandler was one of my favorite players. I'm embarrassed to say that actually threw a few things in my house when I found out he wasn't coming back.
But Caron Butler's family (my wife and his wife connection) had said last summer that Chandler was going to move on....regardless of what Dallas offered (unless it was insane). They made it sound like for some reason he did not want to be here.
The Mavs either blew it or had bad luck when they spent all that money on Haywood right before Chandler became available. They told Haywood the starting gig was his when they gave him all that money and then soon after they brought in Tyson. The two didn't fight or anything but it was always a bit weird and borderline hostile.
With the current contracts in place and going up next year, I'm not sure how they could have paid Tyson what he deserved...and I'm not sure he would have stayed here if they had only matched NY.

I agree completely that Dirk, Tyson, and Deron would have been sweet.

FWIW, I recall the Spurs losing Stephen Jackson and Speedy Claxton to better deals the year after they won a title. But the Spurs had money tied up in 3 franchise players.
The Mavs had big money tied up in five players coming into this year. They were in a tough spot.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4478045 said:
Chandler was one of my favorite players. I'm embarrassed to say that actually threw a few things in my house when I found out he wasn't coming back.
But Caron Butler's family (my wife and his wife connection) had said last summer that Chandler was going to move on....regardless of what Dallas offered (unless it was insane). They made it sound like for some reason he did not want to be here.
The Mavs either blew it or had bad luck when they spent all that money on Haywood right before Chandler became available. They told Haywood the starting gig was his when they gave him all that money and then soon after they brought in Tyson. The two didn't fight or anything but it was always a bit weird and borderline hostile.
With the current contracts in place and going up next year, I'm not sure how they could have paid Tyson what he deserved...and I'm not sure he would have stayed here if they had only matched NY.

I agree completely that Dirk, Tyson, and Deron would have been sweet.

FWIW, I recall the Spurs losing Stephen Jackson and Speedy Claxton to better deals the year after they won a title. But the Spurs had money tied up in 3 franchise players.
The Mavs had big money tied up in five players coming into this year. They were in a tough spot.

dang, i guess those are things you dont know about players unless you follow the team closely! speedy left because he wanted to be a starter, jackson left for money, but he ended up taking an offer with atlanta that was less than the original offer from the spurs, he over valued himself (or his agent did, since he fired him shortly after he signed with the hawks) to this day, you will hear him say "i should have never left" and ya, thats partly because it was a great situation, but mainly because he thought he was worth more than he was, and the best offer was the one the spurs made him.

Hedo just left, and im glad he did! the spurs were offering him WAY too much money! and he was terrible even when he was there. as much praise as the spurs get, they do make some bonehead moves, like that offer that, mercifully, hedo declined, plus resigning jefferson and trading lord scola for nothing.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
MUCH NEEDED win by Dallas in OT right there. Thriller of a game, Dirk with 31 and passed Barkley on the all time scoring list.

juck

Reaction score
Wow, what a game. Dragic was out on last play. Either way a W is a W. I love Brandon Wright.

juck

Reaction score
Our schedule is absolutely brutal thru like 8 games. Every W counts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
juck;4478065 said:
Wow, what a game. Dragic was out on last play. Either way a W is a W. I love Brandon Wright.
Plus 13 with Wright in the game.
Now if we can get West back....
Odom was miserbale again. Oh well.
We'll take the W!

juck

Reaction score
DF answer me this. At end of regulation we are up 3 with 20 some secs left. Why not foul Camby and let him shoot 2. If he makes both we still are up 1 and they gotta foul. ?Even in worst case Camby makes 1 and misses second and they score its only tied. But the chances of of the this happening are way less than them making a 3.Am i right? Even Drexler said that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
juck;4478091 said:
DF answer me this. At end of regulation we are up 3 with 20 some secs left. Why not foul Camby and let him shoot 2. If he makes both we still are up 1 and they gotta foul. ?Even in worst case Camby makes 1 and misses second and they score its only tied. But the chances of of the this happening are way less than them making a 3.Am i right? Even Drexler said that.
I agree. Take the foul.
More teams are starting to do it. I'm surprised when they don't.

MC KAos

Reaction score
juck;4478091 said:

DFWJC;4478098 said:
I agree. Take the foul.
More teams are starting to do it. I'm surprised when they don't.

when he was with the knicks camby was a decent free throw shooter, is he terrible now or something?

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4478101 said:
when he was with the knicks camby was a decent free throw shooter, is he terrible now or something?
45% this season.:laugh2:
Plus, even if he made both, time would have been almost up. You'd have to take that foul with not much time at all though.

The point earlier about Odom sucking the life out the locker room is true. This team was starting to look great right before the all-star game, them Lamar takes a 7-10 days off and lets it be know he's not happy. They have no continuity right now.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4478104 said:
45% this season.:laugh2:
Plus, even if he made both, time would have been almost up. You'd have to take that foul with not much time tr all though.

wow! thats shaq bad! he had a nice mid range jumper back in the day too, i guess people dont notice your decline when you play for mostly crap teams or small market teams that dont get lots of national attention!

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4478107 said:
wow! thats shaq bad! he had a nice mid range jumper back in the day too, i guess people dont notice your decline when you play for mostly crap teams or small market teams that dont get lots of national attention!
Yeah, I recall him having at least a respectable touch. No more though.

This is the oddest season that I can remember.
From a Mavs fan's perspective, it frustrating but then you look up and see they are tied for 4th in the West (6 games out) ....they ended up 2 games above the 4th seed last year (4 games out).

juck

Reaction score
zrinkill;4478095 said:
lol that freaked me out, Ive had that same avatar on my dallasbasketball.com acct for years. Great movie.

juck

Reaction score
DFWJC;4478114 said:

From a Mavs fan's perspective, it frustrating but then you look up and see they are tied for 4th in the West (6 games out) ....they ended up 2 games above the 4th seed last year (4 games out).
You know... If we dont get DWILL I wouldnt mind Dragic. He is UFA. Maybe him and Hibbert?or Lopez. I like Dragic,dude is a beast.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4478114 said:

Word, although its been like that the last few years. I remember a few years back when seeds 2-8 were like 3 games apart or something like that by the end of the year. I haven't checked recently, but a few days back the 4-9 seeds were only 2 games apart from each other! I bet only 2 or 3 teams will be clinched into a seed the last week of the season, it's going to be close

juck;4478146 said:
You know... If we dont get DWILL I wouldnt mind Dragic. He is UFA. Maybe him and Hibbert?or Lopez. I like Dragic,dude is a beast.

I can tell you from first hand experience, dragic has a lot of potential! I remember him destroying the spurs in the playoffs a few years back. I don't know that he can do it consistently, but at worst he is a great #2 PG