2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
DFWJC;4544076 said:
Let's not forget, these games are almost identical in competiveness to last year's. They are coming down to one or two shots in the clisng seconds.

Last year, Dallas was able to steal a couple of wins by a point or two after OKC blew huge leads.

This series is no different except the young guns at OKC have another year under their belt and Dallas has had a few very bad breaks in the closing seconds.

Last year OKC could have (should have?) won 3 at home instead of 1 and this year Dallas easily could be up 2-0.

it's just a very, very even match.

The Western Conference is fairly wide open.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I haven't lost hope because OKC is still young and I think if we can take two at home and make this a three game series the ghosts of last year may start to come back to haunt them. With the way they are playing him, I expect Dirk to get about 45 FTs over the next two games and the Thunder won't be allowed to win the game on nothing but ticky tack FTs to end the game.

juck

Reaction score
Stern loves OKC lol. Dallas needs a guy to drive and penetrate. That guy is DWILL or Dragic,even Nash. JJB is missed. So is Chandler. I didnt expect us to be this compettive with OKC. OKC is overated though and have refs in their pockets.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
juck;4544184 said:
Stern loves OKC lol. Dallas needs a guy to drive and penetrate. That guy is DWILL or Dragic,even Nash. JJB is missed. So is Chandler. I didnt expect us to be this compettive with OKC. OKC is overated though and have refs in their pockets.
My gosh, I am so sick of hearing Mavs fans, coaches, players and owner complain about officials. It's getting absurd. You do realize that over two games, OKC has shot 59 free throws and Dallas has shot 57 free throws? And since Dallas intentionally fouled OKC twice in the closing seconds, 4 of those FT's were of that variety. So really, the Mavs have been getting more of the benefit of the whistle. Which is hilarious considering that you guys have nobody on your team who drives to the basket with consistency. On the other hand, Westbrook, Harden and Durant are all very strong drivers to the bucket. The Mavs are a jump shooting team. And yet they have got more whistles. And yet all the Mavs fans, players, coaches and owner are complaining about officiating. Give me a break.

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;4544712 said:
My gosh, I am so sick of hearing Mavs fans, coaches, players and owner complain about officials. It's getting absurd. You do realize that over two games, OKC has shot 59 free throws and Dallas has shot 57 free throws? And since Dallas intentionally fouled OKC twice in the closing seconds, 4 of those FT's were of that variety. So really, the Mavs have been getting more of the benefit of the whistle. Which is hilarious considering that you guys have nobody on your team who drives to the basket with consistency. On the other hand, Westbrook, Harden and Durant are all very strong drivers to the bucket. The Mavs are a jump shooting team. And yet they have got more whistles. And yet all the Mavs fans, players, coaches and owner are complaining about officiating. Give me a break.

Numbers lie often and that's the case here. You're an OKC fan so of you're not gonna admit, but that game yesterday especially in the final minutes the officiating was clearly in favor of OKC. You can't even breathe on those guys anymore. It's disgusting.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
juck;4544184 said:

Agreed. They also have a big weakness and thats playing halfcourt basketball.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
The blame for this loss is on Dirk. The Mavs up one and Dirk has a wide open three-pointer and he misses???

Dirk doesn't miss that shot at all last season

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4544732 said:
Numbers lie often and that's the case here. You're an OKC fan so of you're not gonna admit, but that game yesterday especially in the final minutes the officiating was clearly in favor of OKC. You can't even breathe on those guys anymore. It's disgusting.
Tell me how the numbers lie. The Mavs have been getting more whistles, correct? And the Thunder drive to the basket more while the Mavs typically jump shoot, correct? And most fans on here had a preconceived notion about the Thunder getting calls before this series, correct?

I'm not trying to be an arse here, as you have always been classy. I'm just saying that you're a fan of another team and have gone on record as saying that the Thunder get more calls than other teams, so maybe your judgment is clouded and you won't admit it.

Listen, the Mavs players/coaches/owner are notorious for complaining about officials. It just gets a little old and tiresome after awhile. Give credit where it's due. You didn't hear one Thunder player or coach complain about officials when jump shooting Dirk shot an NBA record 24 free throws in Game 1 last year. And I'll give Dirk credit, he's the one Mav to never complain to the media. But Carlisle, Cuban, Kidd, Terry and most (not all, obviously) the fans are out of control in this area. Just admit that you lost, give credit where it's due and move on to the next game.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;4544997 said:
Tell me how the numbers lie. The Mavs have been getting more whistles, correct? And the Thunder drive to the basket more while the Mavs typically jump shoot, correct? And most fans on here had a preconceived notion about the Thunder getting calls before this series, correct?

I'm not trying to be an arse here, as you have always been classy. I'm just saying that you're a fan of another team and have gone on record as saying that the Thunder get more calls than other teams, so maybe your judgment is clouded and you won't admit it.

Listen, the Mavs players/coaches/owner are notorious for complaining about officials. It just gets a little old and tiresome after awhile. Give credit where it's due. You didn't hear one Thunder player or coach complain about officials when jump shooting Dirk shot an NBA record 24 free throws in Game 1 last year. And I'll give Dirk credit, he's the one Mav to never complain to the media. But Carlisle, Cuban, Kidd, Terry and most (not all, obviously) the fans are out of control in this area. Just admit that you lost, give credit where it's due and move on to the next game.

It was so obvious that the thunder players seem to be purposely trying to intimidate Dirk last night.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4545002 said:
It was so obvious that the thunder players seem to be purposely trying to intimidate Dirk last night.
Is there something illegal about intimidation? :)

Also, I'm not gonna stoop so low and point out some ridiculous calls that the Mavs got last night. Like the huge Dirk flop on Fisher where he was awarded two free throws at a key moment in the game. Oh, wait, oops.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;4545022 said:
Is there something illegal about intimidation? :)

Also, I'm not gonna stoop so low and point out some ridiculous calls that the Mavs got last night. Like the huge Dirk flop on Fisher where he was awarded two free throws at a key moment in the game. Oh, wait, oops.

Well their motive for doing it is because they feel he is a pushover. So that's why he had to pop Perkins in the chest-lol

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4545026 said:
Well their motive for doing it is because they feel he is a pushover. So that's why he had to pop Perkins in the chest-lol
There's probably some truth to that. Not to offend any Mavs fans, but I do think that Dirk is considered a bit soft by most opposing fans and probably players as well. And good for Dirk, he stood up for himself. I have no problem with what Dirk or Perk did in that situation. My issue is that Carlisle and the Mavs fans whined about it afterwards, while the Thunder took it in stride.

MC KAos

Reaction score
There were horrendous calls both ways, there might have been more questionable calls vs the mavs than vice versa, but it wasn't that much more! It was just a closely called game, they weren't letting either team get away with much

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
MC KAos;4545092 said:
There were horrendous calls both ways, there might have been more questionable calls vs the mavs than vice versa, but it wasn't that much more! It was just a closely called game, they weren't letting either team get away with much

That foul call on terry was unnecessary

MC KAos

Reaction score
The worst one was one that they called and the game went to commercial break, I think I mentioned it in the game discussion thread, almost seemed like they wanted to go to commercial! It was a TERRIBLE call, at least they still had a foul to give at the the time.

MC KAos

Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4545109 said:
Not in 1989........."Only in 2012"

Thats probably true, but at the same time, Durante could have just pushed him away back then

DFWJC

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;4544997 said:

I'm not here to argue about the refs....much.
But I don't see the Thunder drivng to the basket that much at all. Westbrook drives alot but because he had that 15 footer on autopilot, he was not going to the hole. The whole team was shooting jump shots.

I see Dirk posting up and getting tackled and bear-hugged almost every time down court. It's gotten to be so normal that they can't blow the whistle everytime, so they don't.
There a few dicey calls; that one on Marion in the 4th was comical. But I saw a few the other way too.

The home team gets a slight edge and I'm hoping that continues the next two games.

juck

Reaction score
Thunder arent getting a ring this year.In fact they arent going to get past Lakers if they beat Mavs. They are extremely predictable. Alien head Westbrook dribble for 20 secs then either pogo stick a jumper or pass to Durant to shoot.Durant is soft for a brotha. Then you have Floppin,bumbling,stumblin Beard man . All he does is travel into the lane and flop or shoot a three. They have no interior scoring,they have no half court game. Problem is the Mavs got rid of JJB who drove into the teeth of that soft interior and Chandler to stop Beard. Lakers will spit them out. And if they got to the Finals,OMG the Heat would crush that soft front line.So in the end its for not.:eek: