2012 NBA Offseason Thread

Zordon

Reaction score
Mavericks are ****ed

“@Chris_Broussard: Sources: The Nets & Magic are discussing a trade that would send Dwight Howard to Brooklyn for Briik Lopez, Kris Humphies, Marshon Brooks...”

“@Chris_Broussard: (con't) and the Nets' first-round picks in 2012, 2014, 2016 & 2018....move would give Nets Big 3 of D-Will, Dwight & Joe Johnson”

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Zordon;4609908 said:
Mavericks are ****ed

“@Chris_Broussard: Sources: The Nets & Magic are discussing a trade that would send Dwight Howard to Brooklyn for Briik Lopez, Kris Humphies, Marshon Brooks...”

“@Chris_Broussard: (con't) and the Nets' first-round picks in 2012, 2014, 2016 & 2018....move would give Nets Big 3 of D-Will, Dwight & Joe Johnson”

It's actually 2013, 2015, 2017 picks; it just changed. Also, Humphries and Lopez would both have to agree to a sign and trade because they are free agents right now. This is highly unlikely.

Zordon

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4609910 said:
It's actually 2013, 2015, 2017 picks; it just changed. Also, Humphries and Lopez would both have to agree to a sign and trade because they are free agents right now. This is highly unlikely.
Yeah you're right. The fact that they are talking is still disappointing. I thought once they signed wallace/johnson that ship had sailed. I also thought the magic would want to send him out of the conference.

I'm still a little ticked off neither Dirk or Cuban attended the meeting yesterday.

Zordon

Reaction score
Chris Mannix is more reputable than Broussard.

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

Those asking how Nets can afford this: Can exceed the cap to re-sign Lopez and Humphries (Bird rights) and then flip them for Dwight/Hedo

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Zordon;4609918 said:
Yeah you're right. The fact that they are talking is still disappointing. I thought once they signed wallace/johnson that ship had sailed. I also thought the magic would want to send him out of the conference.

I'm still a little ticked off neither Dirk or Cuban attended the meeting yesterday.

The Johnson trade was a terrible deal. If Deron wants a shot at a ring in the future Dallas is the better option. Even Net fans are pissed about the trade.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1191859

Not to mention, Houston is still willing to sell their squad at a shot with Howard. They can match and make things interesting.

Zordon

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4609921 said:
The Johnson trade was a terrible deal. If Deron wants a shot at a ring in the future Dallas is the better option. Even Net fans are pissed about the trade.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1191859

Not to mention, Houston is still willing to sell their squad at a shot with Howard. They can match and make things interesting.
They are only willing to do that if he is willing to sign an extension, which he isn't.

He's only said he'll sign an extension with the Nets and maybe the Mavs? Between those teams, the Nets have better pieces to offer. This is part of the reason why I haven't liked our approach to the draft the past few years. We have no young potential players to offer in a trade.

Also, those Nets fans didn't like that trade mainly b/c they thought it meant they wouldn't have room for Dwight. If they get Dwight and form a Big Three, they won't really mind that trade.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Here's a quick cap breakdown of the possibility.

About what Brooklyn would be looking at.

Johnson 19,752,645
Wallace 10,000,000
Williams 19,000,000
Howard 19,000,000

Total: 67,752,645

The cap is around $58 million. They would have to cut around $10 million between Williams and Howard if they were to possibly sign them.

Not to mention here's Joes contract in upcoming years...

12/13 - 19,752,645
13/14 - 21,466,718
14/15 - 23,180,790
15/16 - 24,894,463

This season alone, Joe Johnson will account for 34% of the Nets cap room. In 15/16 (assuming the cap is $58 mil) Johson will account for 43% of the Nets cap!

Zordon

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4609929 said:
Here's a quick cap breakdown of the possibility.

About what Brooklyn would be looking at.

Johnson 19,752,645
Wallace 10,000,000
Williams 19,000,000
Howard 19,000,000

Total: 67,752,645

The cap is around $58 million. They would have to cut around $10 million between Williams and Howard if they were to possibly sign them.

Not to mention here's Joes contract in upcoming years...

12/13 - 19,752,645
13/14 - 21,466,718
14/15 - 23,180,790
15/16 - 24,894,463

This season alone, Joe Johnson will account for 34% of the Nets cap room. In 15/16 (assuming the cap is $58 mil) Johson will account for 43% of the Nets cap!
One of the worst contracts in the league. wow

Looks like we might get involved.

“@KBergCBS: Orlando GM Rob Hennigan also trying to engage the Hawks, Rockets, Lakers and possibly Mavs in Howard talks. Full-court press.”

MC KAos

Reaction score
this ISH is getting REAL!!! cant wait to see what has gone down by the time i log back on in the afternoon! btw, i still believe the best deal for dwight, the magic, and the other teams/players involved is the lakers and bynum, simply because i have no doubt that CP3 wouldnt go to atlanta, i think he stays with the clips

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Dwight Howard completes the holy trinity of basketball positions for success in the league (Point, Swing, and Low Post).

They'd immediately become favorites in the East next to the Heat.

The only thing they need is some solid role players. Brooklyn might become more enticing for Ray Allen than Miami at that point. Allen is scheduled to visit Miami on Thursday. I would be shocked, however, if he left Miami without a contract.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Also, I don't get the hate on Chris Broussard. He's the guy who had sources saying LeBron would sign with the Heat well before his actual decision.

Ren

Reaction score
Looks like the Mavs blowing up their championship roster is about to backfire big time. All the talk about getting younger and their backup plan looks to be a 38 year old Nash

Noryb

Reaction score
casmith07;4610016 said:
Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Dwight Howard completes the holy trinity of basketball positions for success in the league (Point, Swing, and Low Post).

They'd immediately become favorites in the East next to the Heat.

The only thing they need is some solid role players. Brooklyn might become more enticing for Ray Allen than Miami at that point. Allen is scheduled to visit Miami on Thursday. I would be shocked, however, if he left Miami without a contract.

Allen to the Heat would dang near make them unbeatable. I wonder if they have any plans for the Center position.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Muhast;4610103 said:
I'm still not convinced the Nets land Dwight.

I don't think they will either. It's almost impossible for them to assemble the best offer for him.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4610128 said:
I don't think they will either. It's almost impossible for them to assemble the best offer for him.

they offered Marshon Brooks, but the rest of the players aren't anything special.

Lakers and Hawks can offer much better talent. Are they willing to give up the draft picks that Brooklyn will? Thats the question.

Zordon

Reaction score
Noryb;4610116 said:
Allen to the Heat would dang near make them unbeatable. I wonder if they have any plans for the Center position.
They are interested in Camby if they can get him for a discount.

Noryb

Reaction score
Zordon;4610163 said:
They are interested in Camby if they can get him for a discount.

That doesn't do a lot for me but I guess he would be better than Joel Anthony and Turiaf. I do believe the Heat are at their best when Bosh is at the 5 position but having a guy like Camby would be useful especially if Dwight finds his way to Brooklyn.

Howard, Williams and Johnson would be a formidable opponent against the Heat and Gerald Wallace wouldn't be the worse choice for guarding Lebron.