2012 NBA Offseason Thread

MegaMagick

Reaction score
Ren;4610685 said:
If you blow up a championship team it better be for something better then a 38 year old Nash, Dragic or Lin. How we got to this point is what has so many Mavs fans raging.

I'm sure Mark can put together another 1 and done in the first round team for this season but look at what we gave up to get that one and done team.

Tyson Chandler, JJ Barea and Caron Butler would look awfully good right about now

Nash, Dirk, plus some really solid pieces can compete with OKC, SAS, LAL, etc in the west for the next 2, maybe 3 years. Assuming he's still playing at an elite PG level and doesn't completely fall apart outside Phoenix.

MegaMagick

Reaction score
MC KAos;4610693 said:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Dallas is considering this too: Take a step back, clear cap space for the summer of 2013 and chase free agents Dwight Howard and Chris Paul.

pipe dream, part deux!

Yeah, if Cuban pulls the same crap again all the goodwill and love he gained from that championship run will be gone. At least for me.

We had a shot a Dwill because of the hometown angle, i definitely don't see us landing Cp3 or Dwight. Move on Cuban.

MC KAos

Reaction score
MegaMagick;4610698 said:
Nash, Dirk, plus some really solid pieces can compete with OKC, SAS, LAL, etc in the west for the next 2, maybe 3 years. Assuming he's still playing at an elite PG level and doesn't completely fall apart outside Phoenix.

ive been wondering about this, the suns training staff is widely regarded as being by far the best in the league, they have kept nash healthy, i was wondering if leaving them would affect his health this season, i guess only time will tell.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Keep eye on free agent F Antawn Jamison and the Warriors, source tells Y! He used to be repped by GS GM Bob Myers.LAL and CHA interested too

that would be a nice addition to the lakers bench!

Reaction score
MC KAos;4610703 said:
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Keep eye on free agent F Antawn Jamison and the Warriors, source tells Y! He used to be repped by GS GM Bob Myers.LAL and CHA interested too

that would be a nice addition to the lakers bench!

Yes it would. Lakers are trying to get Nash as well. Maybe a sign and trade Sessions for Nash

As Raptors, Knicks & Mavs-fight 4 Steve Nash, the Lakers have also quietly entered the picture & are making a hard push, per league source.

Source: David Aldridge

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4610708 said:
Yes it would. Lakers are trying to get Nash as well. Maybe a sign and trade Sessions for Nash

Source: David Aldridge

Suns interested in Sessions and Hill, sign and trade possible.

Nash would have to approve of deal.

Nash Kobe Ebanks Gasol Howard, add Jamison to bench...would be nice.

Reaction score
Dash28;4610711 said:
Suns interested in Sessions and Hill, sign and trade possible.

Nash would have to approve of deal.

Nash Kobe Ebanks Gasol Howard, add Jamison to bench...would be nice.

Lakers would be the clearcut favorite to win it all. Plus Dwight LOVES Nash. He wanted him in Orlando. If the Lakers got Nash he'd definitely stay. Make it happen Mitch!

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4610718 said:
Lakers would be the clearcut favorite to win it all. Plus Dwight LOVES Nash. He wanted him in Orlando. If the Lakers got Nash he'd definitely stay. Make it happen Mitch!

i dont know abou clear cut favorites, but they would be back in the hierarchy of serious title contenders

Reaction score

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
@BallinWithBryan: RT @WojYahooNBA: Dallas is considering this too: Take a step back, clear cap space for the summer of '13 & chase FAs D. Howard & C. Paul.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4610848 said:
http://i112.***BLOCKED***/albums/n163/yozmama/56214387-steve-nashcopy.jpg

:D

Would be sweet but not getting overly excited, yet.

Suns beat writer claims Nash is interested in the sign and trade.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Now that Deron chose Brooklyn things will take shape.
Nets are out of any Dwight deals. They simply don't have the package to get him.

LA does but will have to eat a bad contract. Magic aren't trading Dwight alone for any player in the league. They want to be rid of past mistakes.

Nash: He has 12 mil per x3 on table. He'd take slightly less for a contender but he isn't giving anyone a bargain. That's how he ended up in PHX.

Would Dallas pay him 28m over 2 years? Maybe. Would that be enough if they did? Not sure. It would push the Mavs free agency off a couple years and let Nash and Dirk finish up together. Team would be entertaining and a top 4 seed but not title material unless they got Dwight. (Dallas only shot at Dwight is that they will take bad contracts... Lakers have better offer for sure if they'll send Bynum but Nets are losing with Howard so they arent taking Bynum straight up so if it comes down to it, best Magic take may be simply offloading other bad deals to clear cap space for runs at other free agents)

Nash would like to go to the Knicks. But they have to get a trade in place and PHX has no real reason to do anything other than take the freed up cap space. They can sign the NYK players they like to lesser deals without messing with Nash.

Lakers: Nash would fit there next to Kobe much like he does with Dirk as a final run type set up. A good center behind Nash is a must for defense. But PHX again really doesn't want the Lakers tripe. Sure they'd take Sessions but no where near the price a S&T requires as the Aldridge article details.
But Lakers could get Hedo and Howard in a S&T and I think Dwight would accept LA. IF Kobe humbled himself a bit. If Kobe is going to try to remain big man on campus Dwight isnt buying. Those two are not friends AT ALL.

PG: Lin, Dragic, Nash, Kidd. Those 4 in that order now that DWill has re-signed.

BTW anyone thinking Antwan Jamison is a good add is crazy. He is a terrible, terrible defender. Perhaps the worst in the NBA at his position.

Deron thoughts: As a fan of The Colony basketball and local kids in general I hope DWill and Amy and kids love NYC. For young rich people it is probably the best town in the world. Now if DWill was 38 instead of 28 does he make the same choice? Probably not. But with 100m in his pocket and 5 years to live somewhere it should be a blast... OFF THE COURT. On the court Joe Johnson is vastly overrated. He is a solid 2G but definitely overpaid and definitely overhyped. He is a defensive liability most nights. Gerald Wallace brings some defense to the party. But DWill, JJ, Wallace, Hump. Lopez isn't gonna threaten Miami at all. They have NO LeBron defender and when they put Dwill on Wade, Chalmers will eat outside. And the Nets will not get better. Their core group isnt improving. They are now peaking or have peaked.

Dallas thoughts: Dallas basically took this year off to chase DWill. Now that it failed we'll see if Cuban wants to be aggressive or simply wait and see just how valuable his cap space is as teams over the cap start paying those insane cap overage premiums in 2013. By the trade deadline I expect Dallas to be able to use cap space to get much better. Owners do not want to be far over the salary cap. Penalties are severe and cumulative.

Ren

Reaction score
MegaMagick;4610698 said:

Unless they have the kind of crazy depth they had when they won the title they're to old to hold of for a full season let alone win a drawn out 7 game series. I don't see enough pieces left out there to put together a team like that again. Specially since they more then likely will just offer 1 year deals and try to score big in FA again next year

Reaction score
MegaMagick;4610698 said:

I agree they could, but what solid pieces are left? Kidd gone, Terry gone, Delonte probably gone. All they have right now is Dirk, Marion, Roddy B, and that's pretty much it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ren;4610946 said:
Unless they have the kind of crazy depth they had when they won the title they're to old to hold of for a full season let alone win a drawn out 7 game series. I don't see enough pieces left out there to put together a team like that again. Specially since they more then likely will just offer 1 year deals and try to score big in FA again next year

They can do pieces but question is do they go all in for 2 years or do they keep the powder dry.

Possible pieces to be had.
Delonte resigned, Kidd resigned, Nash, Arron Brooks, Brandon Roy, CJ Miles, Joel Pryzbilla, Chris Kaman, Anthony Randolph, Camby, Ray Allen. Brandon Bass, Ronny Turiaf, Ilsavoya, Billups, Thabeet, Josh Howard.

Plenty of guys to be had for the bench if you want to overpay for 2 years or give 4 year deals to.

Marion, Haywood and Dirk are all in. That's the starting front court. Gotta find a starting guard combo, 4th front court player.

Right this second:
Roddy, Carter, Marion, Dirk, Haywood.

That's like 8th seed crap. But they have 20m in cap space. They won't field that team.

Keeping amnesty option for later is smart now. Can drop cap cost of a single player by 40m PER YEAR in 2013 and beyond. Easy to eat a terrible contract that way.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4610968 said:
I agree they could, but what solid pieces are left? Kidd gone, Terry gone, Delonte probably gone. All they have right now is Dirk, Marion, Roddy B, and that's pretty much it.

Delonte is almost certainly back.
Kidd is a toss up. He is gonna take highest bid. This is his final contract.

They will let Terry walk because they don't want to go 3 years. JET would have to take 2 years to stay and they may be inclined to let him leave due to age and defense anyways.

They will definitely rebuild. No choice but to add players. Right now not lots of teams have cap space but Dallas does. They can outbid the MLE easily for as many as 3 different players.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No matter how you slice it, this is a big time failure by Cuban and the Mavs.