2012 NBA Offseason Thread

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
*sigh* at the Rockets...

Trade one point guard, Let one point guard go, and go after one that doesn't want to be there...

And then have eight forwards. I really, really love the direction of this organization.

One of the comments on the Rockets Lowry trade

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...-trade-lowry-to-toronto-for-first-round-pick/

Wombat-1
3:07 PM on July 5, 2012

Hilarious! I thought rebuilding would have started with this year's draft even if the intent was to trade all useful players 25 or older for future draft picks. Instead, we draft two tweener forwards (mean's players who do not fit size, speed, and skill requirements to actually play a position on an NBA team) and a small shooting guard. So, it looks like Livi, the one-legged PG will take the helm with no real backup (Fortson? please!) setting up Lamb at SG once Martin is gone. Parsons will be ready at SF with no backup behind him. Scissorhands Asik will control the boards and block shots with little fear of scoring and no hope of backup (OK, he is backup, but there is no starter even if you include Camby. Finally, even if Scola is traded, there will be about 10 PFs trying to log 5 minutes each. Can't wait to see how this master plan unfolds. Oh, do you really think all these "PF Assets" represent trade bait? Why trade for one of them? Some will be cut anyway. Not even McHale can keep this many PFs even if it is all he knows how to coach.

RamziD

Reaction score

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RamziD;4612099 said:
I think the Rockets are trying to convince themselves they will get Lin and Howard.
It's absolutely ridiculous. Howard has dreams of grandeur and Houston doesn't represent that.

It would be ideal if they took on a blue collar identity and built off that.

And even if they somehow signed Lin, they have no worthy backups. *smh*

It's just dumb.

juck;4612104 said:
Hey Mc Lyte! :eek:
Yeah, I switched up for a little bit.

RamziD

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4612108 said:
It's absolutely ridiculous. Howard has dreams of grandeur and Houston doesn't represent that.

It would be ideal if they took on a blue collar identity and built off that.

And even if they somehow signed Lin, they have no worthy backups. *smh*

It's just dumb.

Yeah, I switched up for a little bit.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I don't think Howard will stay in Houston even if he is traded. The Rockets don't seem like they have much direction at this point. The only good thing about their offseason so far was the draft.

Reaction score
Brandon Bass Resigns With Celtics

Brandon+Bass+Chicago+Bulls+v+Boston+Celtics+MhqaTpm9SY-l.jpg

The Celtics have agreed to a contract extension for Brandon Bass, according to his agent, Tony Dutt, who would only said it was a “multiyear” deal. It is believed to be a three-year deal.

Bass turned in a sparkling first season for the Celtics after being acquired from the Orlando Magic for Glen “Big Baby” Davis and Von Wafer. Bass opted out of the final year and $4.25 million of his deal to become a free agent but the Celtics were focused on bringing him back.

Bass averaged 12.5 points and 6.2 rebounds, both career highs, last season in 59 games, 39 as the starting power forward.

Source: Brandon Bass

Another excellent signing by Boston. Bass is a terrific role player.

Reaction score
Sixers Amnesty Elton Brand

elton-brand-p1.jpg

The Philadelphia 76ers will release former All-Star Elton Brand under the league's amnesty clause, according to sources.

The move to release Brand will be necessitated by the expected signing of free-agent guard Nick Young and the planned re-signing of center Spencer Hawes.

Teams that did not use their one-time amnesty clause last season can waive one player via the amnesty provision between July 11-17 and see that player's contract figures vanish from the team's payroll for salary-cap and luxury-tax purposes.

Brand will still collect the full $18 million that the Sixers owe him next season, but he will first be offered to teams under the salary cap through the waiver process, with under-the-cap teams able to lodge bids for him.

Sources tell ESPN.com that the Dallas Mavericks, under the salary cap after being foiled in their pursuit of marquee free agent Deron Williams, have interest in claiming Brand through the waiver process.

Source: ESPN

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4611043 said:
What makes you think Delonte will be back? I don't see him staying now that Deron resigned in Brooklyn. I could see him signing with the Lakers (Played for Mike Brown in Cleveland, Boston (Played there in 2010/2011), or Oklahoma City. Maybe even New York.

Delonte has stated many times he loves Dallas. He is bi-polar and has to take medication. Every now and then he falters. That's why he has been playing for small dollar and short term deals. He has next to zero savings so would like a bigger, longer term deal. But all things being nearly equal he'll pick Dallas.

People in Dallas really like the guy. He is very entertaining and with Jet gone we do need the guy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:

Interesting move by the Lakers getting Nash. I don't hate the Lakers but I certainly do not like them. But I will watch a Nash/Kobe run.

IF Cuban is right the Lakers will rue this deal.
Teams can no longer use the large MLE when over the cap by 10M and the penalties are cumulative for being over.
That makes draft picks very valuable.
Stuck with Gasol, Stuck with Artest and no picks to give anyone to take them off your hands. They look to be doing more Lamar Odom deals shortly.

Dallas really, really wanted Nash but wouldn't go 3 years.

Mavs: Right now, like most Mavs fans I want to beat Cuban to a bloody pulp. He dismantled the title team and many gave him the benefit of the doubt. But now we know he lost Deron based upon a crappy sales pitch around fiscal responsibility. That's just dumb. No free agent wants to hear or see that crap. Dallas is already on like Plan D which I guess is Ramon Sessions. Yuck! Brand is slightly interesting but certainly not scaring the Thunder, Lakers or Spurs.

Sessions, West, Marion, Dirk, Brand backed up by the r1 kid, Roddy B, Carter, Wright.... Yea thats about a 6 seed..... yippie?!

Dwight: All these guys are wild cards til they sign but Dwight... he is a wild card ALL THE TIME. Next great NBA center for sure but man is he a bit wacky.

Trading: If the Magic wanted Bynum straight up they would have already done that. They really don't want that deal at all. DW may move Lakers ot psot 1 but that didn't do the Nets any good. Dallas has been on the short list forever but the Magic aren't even taking Cuban's calls because there isn't crap to offer. EXCEPT if they decide they want picks and cap relief. Dallas can ship them Roddy B, Jared Cunningham, resigned Iam Mahimi and the same multi-picks deal LA sent PHX. They take back DH and Jason Richardson. IF Cuban is really willing to say screw the cap ever again.

As a Mavs fan I am punch drunk. He have seriously been donkey kicked here. IT makes no sense at all. Now we'll wait around for 17 or so days to find about about Brand??? Good grief.

I am so ready for football to start!

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;4613171 said:
various:

Interesting move by the Lakers getting Nash. I don't hate the Lakers but I certainly do not like them. But I will watch a Nash/Kobe run.

IF Cuban is right the Lakers will rue this deal.
Teams can no longer use the large MLE when over the cap by 10M and the penalties are cumulative for being over.
That makes draft picks very valuable.
Stuck with Gasol, Stuck with Artest and no picks to give anyone to take them off your hands. They look to be doing more Lamar Odom deals shortly.

Dallas really, really wanted Nash but wouldn't go 3 years.

Mavs: Right now, like most Mavs fans I want to beat Cuban to a bloody pulp. He dismantled the title team and many gave him the benefit of the doubt. But now we know he lost Deron based upon a crappy sales pitch around fiscal responsibility. That's just dumb. No free agent wants to hear or see that crap. Dallas is already on like Plan D which I guess is Ramon Sessions. Yuck! Brand is slightly interesting but certainly not scaring the Thunder, Lakers or Spurs.

Sessions, West, Marion, Dirk, Brand backed up by the r1 kid, Roddy B, Carter, Wright.... Yea thats about a 6 seed..... yippie?!

Dwight: All these guys are wild cards til they sign but Dwight... he is a wild card ALL THE TIME. Next great NBA center for sure but man is he a bit wacky.

Trading: If the Magic wanted Bynum straight up they would have already done that. They really don't want that deal at all. DW may move Lakers ot psot 1 but that didn't do the Nets any good. Dallas has been on the short list forever but the Magic aren't even taking Cuban's calls because there isn't crap to offer. EXCEPT if they decide they want picks and cap relief. Dallas can ship them Roddy B, Jared Cunningham, resigned Iam Mahimi and the same multi-picks deal LA sent PHX. They take back DH and Jason Richardson. IF Cuban is really willing to say screw the cap ever again.

As a Mavs fan I am punch drunk. He have seriously been donkey kicked here. IT makes no sense at all. Now we'll wait around for 17 or so days to find about about Brand??? Good grief.

I am so ready for football to start!
I'm with you jt.
This has been a real beating.
Football can't come soon enough.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really think the Lakers are in bad shape with the cap. A three year deal worth 9 million a season is not crippling. Lakers are going to have a lot of salary coming off the cap in the next few years. MWP, if he doesn't gettraded, is here for roughly 7 million per for the next two season, Gasol, same deal and Kobe, same deal. After that season, the Lakers will cut roughly 57 million in cap. Lakers will be fine with the cap very shortly.

Reaction score
Kirk Hinrich To Return To Chicago

Hinrich_Kirk_atl_120202.jpg

Kirk Hinrich has verbally committed to join the Bulls.

Hinrich is believed to have agreed on a two-year, $6 million deal.

Hinrich averaged 6.6 points and 2.8 assists in 25.8 minutes per game last season.

Source: RealGM

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hmm, I thought the Mavs might be interested in Hincrich. Always thought he was a decent player (for what he is).

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4614288 said:
Hmm, I thought the Mavs might be interested in Hincrich. Always thought he was a decent player (for what he is).

Mavs are looking into Sessions and Aaron Brooks. I like that better than Hinrich.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4613330 said:
I don't really think the Lakers are in bad shape with the cap. A three year deal worth 9 million a season is not crippling. Lakers are going to have a lot of salary coming off the cap in the next few years. MWP, if he doesn't gettraded, is here for roughly 7 million per for the next two season, Gasol, same deal and Kobe, same deal. After that season, the Lakers will cut roughly 57 million in cap. Lakers will be fine with the cap very shortly.

The Lakers are hosed under the cap.
They have 70m committed to the 2013/2014 cap already.

They fall off cap hell in 2014/2015 IF they don't resign Bynum or Kobe. BUT if they do those two make 50m together ALONE. The cap will be about 67m.

Are the Lakers letting Kobe walk in 2 years? Bynum?

Maybe Cuban is right if superstars and will be handed out like halloween candy. Gonna suck as a Mavs fan while we wait and see but with the Lakers you can see his example.

The penalty for frequent offenders plus the revenue sharing plus the over charge charge could put the Lakers bill to the league at 150m in 2013. For an aging roster plus 1 foundational piece(Bynum)??

IF they win expect them to pull a Mavs and quickly blow it up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4614288 said:

Actually this one finally broke right for Dallas. As Stein reported Chicago was choosing between Heinrich and West. Dallas would rather have West back and it appears West had those two teams in the forefront.

West is the better defender. With the lack of talent on the Mavs they have to plan to win (35 games) with gritty play and defense.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
jterrell;4614413 said:
The Lakers are hosed under the cap.
They have 70m committed to the 2013/2014 cap already.

They fall off cap hell in 2014/2015 IF they don't resign Bynum or Kobe. BUT if they do those two make 50m together ALONE. The cap will be about 67m.

Are the Lakers letting Kobe walk in 2 years? Bynum?

Maybe Cuban is right if superstars and will be handed out like halloween candy. Gonna suck as a Mavs fan while we wait and see but with the Lakers you can see his example.

The penalty for frequent offenders plus the revenue sharing plus the over charge charge could put the Lakers bill to the league at 150m in 2013. For an aging roster plus 1 foundational piece(Bynum)??

IF they win expect them to pull a Mavs and quickly blow it up.
LA will have a ton of money in 2014.

Most likely only Bynum/Howard and Kobe(on much smaller deal than now) on the books.