2012 NBA Offseason Thread

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rockets are open to the three-team deal in which they would receive Lakers center Andrew Bynum with Howard going to the Los Angeles Lakers, but are primarily working directly with the Magic to acquire Howard, the individual with knowledge of the talks said.

For the Rockets, a key to either deal would be the ability to take on the contracts of as many as three Orlando veterans.

To trade Howard, the Magic will seek to move some of the long-term contracts they had collected when trying to surround Howard with veterans Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu and Chris Duhon. Richardson, 31, has three seasons and $18.6 million remaining on his contract. Turkoglu, 33, is signed for two more years and is owed $23.8 million. Duhon has two years and $7.5 million remaining on his contract.

More: http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...sweepstakes-as-talks-with-magic-grow-serious/

Reaction score
Houston is delusional if they think for a second that Dwight would stay there long term. Why give up all those assets for a guy who'll bolt at season's end?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys&LakersFan;4617495 said:
Houston is delusional if they think for a second that Dwight would stay there long term. Why give up all those assets for a guy who'll bolt at season's end?
They don't care that he doesn't want to stay. They're ok with giving up the world just to rent him for a year.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WoodysGirl;4617494 said:
Rockets are open to the three-team deal in which they would receive Lakers center Andrew Bynum with Howard going to the Los Angeles Lakers, but are primarily working directly with the Magic to acquire Howard, the individual with knowledge of the talks said.

For the Rockets, a key to either deal would be the ability to take on the contracts of as many as three Orlando veterans.

To trade Howard, the Magic will seek to move some of the long-term contracts they had collected when trying to surround Howard with veterans Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu and Chris Duhon. Richardson, 31, has three seasons and $18.6 million remaining on his contract. Turkoglu, 33, is signed for two more years and is owed $23.8 million. Duhon has two years and $7.5 million remaining on his contract.

More: http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...sweepstakes-as-talks-with-magic-grow-serious/

Also read that Scola would have to be amnestied to amek this work or a deal for Howard work. I would like to throw him in the rotation with the Mavs :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys&LakersFan;4617509 said:
Well then they're very, very stupid.
Well, yeah...

That's one of the reasons why I hate that the Rox are pursuing Howard. He doesn't want to be there. He's not going to extend his contract and if they take on that many bad contracts in return, we're going to become the Magic West.

numnuts23;4617510 said:
Also read that Scola would have to be amnestied to amek this work or a deal for Howard work. I would like to throw him in the rotation with the Mavs :D
Yeah, they're going to amnesty Scola no matter what deal they make. I like Scola. He's played very well for the Rox and it sux we've had so little success with him. He'll be a good pickup for whoever signs him. Kinda similar to Battier.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Does Houston honestly think they can get Bynum from LA if Orlando sends Howard there?

No way lol. If you give up Howard and Bynum is in the trade, you better get Bynum on your team.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4617513 said:
Yeah, they're going to amnesty Scola no matter what deal they make. I like Scola. He's played very well for the Rox and it sux we've had so little success with him. He'll be a good pickup for whoever signs him. Kinda similar to Battier.

Scola is pretty awesome in the low post.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4617495 said:

He will stay. That's why.

Where exactly do you think he'll go???

RastaRocket

Reaction score
jterrell;4617558 said:
He will stay. That's why.

Where exactly do you think he'll go???

Why would he stay in Houston?

Shoot, he can just get on 75 and drive to Dallas.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RastaRocket;4617559 said:
Why would he stay in Houston?

Shoot, he can just get on 75 and drive to Dallas.

Because he makes more money in Houston and few teams will have actual cap space for him. Dallas may well be one of them and may well be his next best option but like Deron, in the end, he'd take the extra year and the extra guaranteed cash.

As a Mavs fan I'd love to say DH was coming here but he isn't unless they can trade for him. DH has been angling this entire time for a trade. He could have simply kept his mouth shut last year and went to LA for half a year then hit free agency. He signed the extra year because he wanted to keep those Bird rights in tact.

I know, I know but LeBron.... LeBron had Wade, Bosh and the world's biggest contrasts in cities from Cleveland waiting. He walked in with a superpower. Deron and Dwight had that chance but Dwight panicked.

Lets be honest. Houston isn't even relevant in the NBA right now. Getting Dwight puts them in that stratosphere with Dallas and SA. Yearly top 4 seeds in the WC.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;4617562 said:
Lets be honest. Houston isn't even relevant in the NBA right now. Getting Dwight puts them in that stratosphere with Dallas and SA. Yearly top 4 seeds in the WC.
I agree with the bold, but I don't believe Dwight will make them an annual contender. They were the #4 seed without him last year before they cratered towards the end. The issue with them is they never had that one guy they could ride when things got tough. And even if they got Dwight, they still wouldn't.

It really bugs me that Houston is going full-steam for a guy who couldn't even sniff Hakeems Nikes AND who doesn't even want to play for them long-term.

I respect that Houston is not a top NBA destination right now. Trading for a rented "superstar" isn't going to make them one.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4617772 said:
I agree with the bold, but I don't believe Dwight will make them an annual contender. They were the #4 seed without him last year before they cratered towards the end. The issue with them is they never had that one guy they could ride when things got tough. And even if they got Dwight, they still wouldn't.

It really bugs me that Houston is going full-steam for a guy who couldn't even sniff Hakeems Nikes AND who doesn't even want to play for them long-term.

I respect that Houston is not a top NBA destination right now. Trading for a rented "superstar" isn't going to make them one.

But if their plan is to turn around and trade Howard to the Lakers for Bynum, that might not be such a bad move WG. Bynum has said that he might be open to staying in Houston and then Howard would be the Lakers headache. That could work out very nicely for Houston I think. I think Bynum fits Houston much better then does Howard. JMO.

Reaction score
Dwight Howard Still Wants Out

70996808.jpg

After several months of trying to trade Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic general manager Rob Hennigan called the All-Star center Wednesday night to see if he'd reconsider giving Hennigan and the Magic's new regime a chance to keep Howard in Orlando, a source close to Howard said.

Hennigan's call came several hours after the Brooklyn Nets, the team to which Howard asked Hennigan to trade him, made a futile last-gasp attempt to deal for him before the Charlotte Bobcats could sign one of the Nets' key trade chips, center Brook Lopez, to an offer sheet.

Lopez agreed to a new contract with the Nets on Wednesday night. Terms of the contract have not been disclosed, but a league source told ESPNNewYork.com's Mike Mazzeo that Lopez, a restricted free agent, agreed to a four-year, $60 million max deal.

Hennigan, the source said, based his plea on the fact that he was new to the organization and had not been party to the issues that drove Howard to make his trade request.

Team president Alex Martins, who also was on the call, the source said, made a similar plea to Howard last winter when Martins took control of basketball decisions over GM Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy.

Howard was not willing to change his stance, the source said.

Source: ESPN

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;4617842 said:
But if their plan is to turn around and trade Howard to the Lakers for Bynum, that might not be such a bad move WG. Bynum has said that he might be open to staying in Houston and then Howard would be the Lakers headache. That could work out very nicely for Houston I think. I think Bynum fits Houston much better then does Howard. JMO.
I've always preferred Bynum over Howard in this scenario. I just don't like this full press and team gutting they've done to achieve it.

The current Rox roster is a mess..

RamziD

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4617893 said:
I've always preferred Bynum over Howard in this scenario. I just don't like this full press and team gutting they've done to achieve it.

The current Rox roster is a mess..

It's not that bad. Assuming they get Bynum/Howard, all they really need is a starting PG (assuming they see consider Lamb a starter at SG).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree. A strong post game and a shot blocking presence in the middle makes up for a multitude of sins, so to speak.