2012 NBA Offseason Thread

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RamziD;4617908 said:
It's not that bad. Assuming they get Bynum/Howard, all they really need is a starting PG (assuming they see consider Lamb a starter at SG).
ABQCOWBOY;4617910 said:
I agree. A strong post game and a shot blocking presence in the middle makes up for a multitude of sins, so to speak.
It depends on what you consider bad. I'm trying to withhold judgement until I see what the final outcome will be.

But I did chuckle when Daryl Morey basically said if you're a PG and has logged minutes in the NBA, then we're open for business. So any PG with a pulse will do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4617975 said:
It depends on what you consider bad. I'm trying to withhold judgement until I see what the final outcome will be.

But I did chuckle when Daryl Morey basically said if you're a PG and has logged minutes in the NBA, then we're open for business. So any PG with a pulse will do.

Sessions might be a good pickup for the Rox. I think he's a pretty good PG, I don't think he's signed, he's young and he knows Bynum's game. He might be the best possible pickup at PG for Houston right now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4617772 said:
I agree with the bold, but I don't believe Dwight will make them an annual contender. They were the #4 seed without him last year before they cratered towards the end. The issue with them is they never had that one guy they could ride when things got tough. And even if they got Dwight, they still wouldn't.

It really bugs me that Houston is going full-steam for a guy who couldn't even sniff Hakeems Nikes AND who doesn't even want to play for them long-term.

I respect that Houston is not a top NBA destination right now. Trading for a rented "superstar" isn't going to make them one.

Orlando has been an annual contender with Dwight and crap.

The NBA is simple. You build around a star PG or a star C. There are two star quality C's. Dwight is the best by far. If you can get him you do it. Scola would score 2 points and grab 2 rebounds facing Dwight all day. That's how big the difference is. Dwight protects the rest of the team and you can get away with subpar defenders around him. People forget he was going head to head in the playoffs with LeBron with the same type surrounding cast not long ago.

He moves to the West and doesnt face Miami til the Finals... he'll get there plenty.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4617893 said:
I've always preferred Bynum over Howard in this scenario. I just don't like this full press and team gutting they've done to achieve it.

The current Rox roster is a mess..

Like the Mavs you just have to wait on that first domino to fall. You don't build around anyone the Rockets have now so they are trying to get a star. If they do everything else becomes much, much easier.

Worst case you draft Shabazz Muhammed next year and see what real athleticism looks like.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Temo;4618201 said:
Not quite yet. Every team with cap space will first get to bid on him, per amnesty clause rules.
That's right.

And the latest says:

"The Dallas Mavericks will make a "very aggressive bid" for Elton in the amnesty waiver process, a source close to the situation told ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan on Wednesday"

Reaction score
Houston has decided to use the amnesty provision on Luis Scola and will likely file with NBA on Friday, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Scola has three years and $21 million left on his contract. The Rockets are clearing space in pursuit of a Dwight Howard deal.

The Rockets will soon have the space to absorb Orlando's Dwight Howard, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, Chris Duhon and Epcot Center.

The Mavericks will be aggressive bidders for Scola on the amnesty wire, league sources said. Dallas is serious about Elton Brand too.

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski

juck

Reaction score
We dont need Scola and Brand. But damn our front court is getting good.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
RastaRocket;4618438 said:
Well, if we get Scola I'll be very happy. I'd take him over Brand.

Philly had one of the best years they have had in a while and let Brand and Lou Williams go.

Sometimes I don't understand how teams thought process go lol

Reaction score
Muhast;4618445 said:
Philly had one of the best years they have had in a while and let Brand and Lou Williams go.

Brand had a down year, but he was a huge expiring. Amnestying was not very smart at all.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You can see the Mavs fall-back plan had some validity, as some decent (not great) players are becoming available.

The need another outside scorer now though.

Reaction score
howard-rockets.jpg

MC KAos

Reaction score
i think maybe the rockets feel like they could talk howard into staying, they probably gained that confidence from seeing D Will resign with the nets even over his hometown team. from seeing his relationship with love, i think mchale is a players coach, and dwight would love him. id say if they get him, they would have a decent shot at keeping him, maybe between 30 and 50 percent considering the money difference between staying and leaving. the rockets have a very good core of young players, i think its worth the shot.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Muhast;4618445 said:

Brand is still a very solid player, but the 76ers had him locked up into a bad contract. Sometimes you gotta let them go. They have a very deep team and should be alright.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Spurs fans tops in NBA
Posted on July 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm by LeAnna Kosub in Spurs
Share161shareE-mail

Martin Galdiano waves to other fans before the first game of the NBA Western Conference Finals. Edward A. Ornelas/Express-News
The San Antonio Spurs rank at the top of a list of market penetration for NBA teams.

According to Scarborough Research, 58 percent of the adults in the San Antonio market watched, attended or listened to a Spurs game in the past year. The Spurs were also No. 1 last year.

“Dating back at least five years, the San Antonio Spurs continue their hold on the top spot in the NBA,” the Scarborough report said, ” though they are showing signs of weakness as their WAL dipped below 60% for the first time in at least six years.”

Not far behind the Spurs are the Dallas Mavericks at 53 percent, up from No. 11 from last year, and the Oklahoma City thunder at 50 percent, up from No. 7.

The largest growth was recorded by the Los Angeles Clippers, with star Blake Griffin and the addition of Chris Paul. The team’s fan base grew by 37 percent, but it still only put them at 16 percent (No. 27 out of 29) as they compete for fans in the same market as the Lakers, who had a 43 percent reach, ranking them No. 10. Toronto is not included in the rankings.

According to the report: “The Mavericks (+35%), Heat (+32%), Timberwolves (+22), Bulls (+22%), Knicks (+16%), Thunder (+14%), and Grizzlies (+14%) also saw percentage growth in the double digits.”

Here are the full rankings, with the 2011 ranking in parentheses:

1. San Antonio Spurs 58% (1)
2. Dallas Mavericks 53% (11)
3. Oklahoma City Thunder 50% (7)
4. Miami Heat 49% (15)
5. Cleveland Cavaliers 48% (2)
6. Chicago Bulls 47% (12)
7. Boston Celtics 46% (3)
8. Utah Jazz 43% (4)
9. Memphis Grizzlies 43% (14)
10. Los Angeles Lakers 43% (6)
11. Portland Trail Blazers 40% (8)