2012 NBA Offseason Thread

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
juck;4619276 said:
He is NOT making thru waivers.He also wants Dallas. He actually said it.

If that's the case, why then would he be talking to at least 4 other teams? He may want Dallas but he may also be interested in other teams as well.

juck

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4619285 said:
If that's the case, why then would he be talking to at least 4 other teams? He may want Dallas but he may also be interested in other teams as well.
Did you talk to Brand? All i trust is his quote that he wants Mavs. Hornets may win him though. Who knows? We will find out at 5EST.

Reaction score
Dwightmare Over Next Week?

Dwight-Howard-620x480.jpg

ORLANDO – At this time next week, expect the Dwightmare to be over.

Sources that have been right all along on this — check the Twitter timeline starting Sunday, July 8 — believe the Houston Rockets will be able to finalize facilitation of the Orlando Magic’s coveted rebuilding strategy shortly after Chicago center Omer Asik’s situation is settled.

Asik was promised a three-year, $25 million offer sheet that Rockets GM Daryl Morey will make good on, which would affect just how many of the contracts new Magic GM Rob Hennigan wants to move can be absorbed.

Houston officially requested amnesty of Luis Scola on Friday afternoon.

The Magic are interested in clearing Jason Richardson, Glen Davis, Chris Duhon, Quentin Richardson’s and Hedo Turkoglu’s – contracts, likely in that order despite the fact Turkoglu is due the largest salary, 11.82 this season and a $12 million player option that will be taken in ’13-’14. The thought is his expiring deal could be an asset at that point.

Source: Tony Mejia

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
juck;4619308 said:
Did you talk to Brand? All i trust is his quote that he wants Mavs. Hornets may win him though. Who knows? We will find out at 5EST.

If I said I had talked to him, would you be able to know if I were being honest with you or not? We can play these stupid games all day but why would we? I did not say that he was going to the Lakers or that he was not going to Dallas. I simply said that he was having discussions, which has been widely reported. I myself saw it reported on ESPN. Perhaps you can ask that question to them? Let me know what they say. Thanks.

juck

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4619347 said:
If I said I had talked to him, would you be able to know if I were being honest with you or not? We can play these stupid games all day but why would we? I did not say that he was going to the Lakers or that he was not going to Dallas. I simply said that he was having discussions, which has been widely reported. I myself saw it reported on ESPN. Perhaps you can ask that question to them? Let me know what they say. Thanks.
BSPN;)

juck

Reaction score
Brand a MAV for 2.1 mil ,may go after Scola as well.:laugh2:

Reaction score
Mavs Claim Elton Brand

elton-brand.jpg

Elton Brand has been claimed off amnesty waivers by the Dallas Mavericks for a winning bid of $2.1 million, according to sources close to the process.

The league's 30 teams were notified shortly after 5 p.m. ET on Friday that the Mavericks had lodged the winning waiver bid for Brand, who was released Wednesday by the Philadelphia 76ers through the amnesty clause in the NBA's new labor agreement.

The Sixers will still have to pay out the remaining balance of the $18.2 million owed Brand this season in the final year of his contract.

Only teams under the salary cap were eligible to bid on claiming Brand off waivers. He'd have become an unrestricted free agent had he cleared waivers, but the Mavericks were determined not to let the opportunity to claim Brand pass as they continue their recovery from missing out on top free-agent targets Deron Williams and Steve Nash.

Source: ESPN

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4619186 said:
I don't see it. With this trade Houston would basically be the West version of the Magic. What's in the incentive for him to stay?

25 million dollars

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4619285 said:

The only team his agent or him mentioned publicly was Dallas.

Falk asked other under the cap teams not to bid on him and Dallas got him at 2.1 million. He stated he'd work behind the scenes to get Brand to Dallas.

He couldn't talk to either LA team so it didnt matter.

Next off-season he is a free agent and can go wherever he likes tho to the LAL or LAC means at 3m or less unless he gets a s&t via dallas because both are well over the cap. Dallas would be very willing to make a deal I am sure.

Where Brand ends up will be determined by his season. He's not a spring chicken and will probably go where the dollars are greatest.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4619182 said:
Stein was saying this morning that he thinks that if Houston gets him, there's a much better chance than some think that they convince him to re-sign. Among other things, Hakeem has a great connection with younger players and could convince him that it's a good place to be.

And I agree. There are a lot worse places to live than Houston. Howard is such a flake, you never know. And they would have Bird rights.

And like Stein said, at worst if he were still insistent on leaving, they could always trade him at the deadline for something.

Anyone with a brain thinks this.
If Dwight was dead set on the Nets he would be there now. All he had to do was keep his opt out... do so.. take 25 m less and go to Brooklyn. Wait he wants LA? No, he doesn't or he woulda been traded there last year for Bynum and a couple 1sts.

He didn't want to give up that 25m so now he goes wherever the Magic can trade him and will likely sign there. He has no real leverage.

Reaction score
Dwight Howard Trade Not Close

report-nets-working-to-acquire-dwight-howard.jpg

Friday came and went, and just like all the other days that have passed since June 24, 2004, Dwight Howard was still a member of the Orlando Magic.

Despite the Houston Rockets using the amnesty provision to waive forward Luis Scola, there was no trade of Howard from Orlando to Houston, and sources briefed on the talks between the two sides said the teams weren’t nearly as close to a trade as many have speculated. That can change in an instant, of course, but late Friday, there was no deal.

Talks between the two sides are “not active,” one source said Friday.

“There’s nothing happening,” another source said.

The Rockets, according to a league source briefed on the discussions, are willing to take one bad contract back from the Magic, not two or three, as has been speculated. And in return, Houston will give up one of the their three first-round picks in last month’s Draft– Jeremy Lamb, Royce White or Terrence Jones –but only one.

Source: David Aldridge

crazytown41

Reaction score
It's either Houston or Magic wait till deadline in Feb. when teams will be more desperate. Magic GM wants nothing to do with Bynum and those creaky knees and dwight has said numerous times he doesn't want to play there so not sure why Lakers keep poppin up in these rumors.

Reaction score
crazytown41;4619779 said:
It's either Houston or Magic wait till deadline in Feb. when teams will be more desperate. Magic GM wants nothing to do with Bynum and those creaky knees and dwight has said numerous times he doesn't want to play there so not sure why Lakers keep poppin up in these rumors.

That's a bunch of BS and you know it. A few weeks ago Woj reported that Orlando was very, very interested in Andrew Bynum. His knees have not been an issue in over two years. He's a great player just a headcase, but so is Howard. Speaking of Howard he had the Lakers on his original list and for some reason took them off. The Lakers are confident if they deal for Howard he'll resign there. Reasons are simple. Huge market, obviously a great team, they'll have his bird rights etc. If the Lakers win the championship which they probably would if they got Howard there's no way he leaves.

crazytown41

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4619781 said:
That's a bunch of BS and you know it. A few weeks ago Woj reported that Orlando was very, very interested in Andrew Bynum. His knees have not been an issue in over two years. He's a great player just a headcase, but so is Howard. Speaking of Howard he had the Lakers on his original list and for some reason took them off. The Lakers are confident if they deal for Howard he'll resign there. Reasons are simple. Huge market, obviously a great team, they'll have his bird rights etc. If the Lakers win the championship which they probably would if they got Howard there's no way he leaves.
Huh? No it's not. You may want to get your "sources" updated. It's been widely reported this week that Magic GM would rather have young players and draft picks than an injury prone Bynum. Not to mention Bynum has already stated he has no intention to sign a long term deal if a trade is made. In case you didn't know, Bynum is a FA after this season. So why in the world would the Magic put themselves in the same position they would be with Dwight? Rockets have the better assets that Rob is looking for.

And let's not forget Morey and Hennigan come from the same sports analytic background.

Good grief. Youre reporting crap from a few weeks ago. This story has been updating every single day.

Reaction score
crazytown41;4619786 said:
Huh? No it's not. You may want to get your "sources" updated. It's been widely reported this week that Magic GM would rather have young players and draft picks than an injury prone Bynum. Not to mention Bynum has already stated he has no intention to sign a long term deal if a trade is made. In case you didn't know, Bynum is a FA after this season. So why in the world would the Magic put themselves in the same position they would be with Dwight? Rockets have the better assets that Rob is looking for.

And let's not forget Morey and Hennigan come from the same sports analytic background.

Good grief. Youre reporting crap from a few weeks ago. This story has been updating every single day.

Bynum never said he wouldn't sign an extension. That report was proven to be false. Again this whole injury prone thinh is BS. Dude hasn't been injured in two years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
crazytown41;4619779 said:

the lakers keep popping up in an attempt to get houston to sweeten the pot more and more.

stein is in vegas and there are jokes amongst all the teams there about it.

lakers and nets are not getting bynum without some magical act we know nothing of right now. lakers bowed out with nash trade and nets with joe johnson trade.

really is hawks or hou with hou being the more willing to do what it takes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4619789 said:
Bynum never said he wouldn't sign an extension. That report was proven to be false. Again this whole injury prone thinh is BS. Dude hasn't been injured in two years.

bynum never said he would sign an extension either. this deep into negotiations he'd certianly have been asked if there was ever any intention to make this trade.

lakers are not in the talks.

Reaction score
Dwight Close To Being Traded To Lakers

Howard-Bynum.jpg

This is not going to come as welcome news to Daryl Morey and the Houston Rockets, but there is a report out there today from an Orlando TV station that Dwight Howard is very close to being traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.

David Pingalore of WKMG-TV in Orlando uses some pretty strong language in his report.

“This past week has been nothing but multiple smoke screens concerning the Dwight Howard drama.*According to Pingalore’s sources, this week is all about getting Dwight Howard to Los Angeles and on the Lakers roster.*Sources close to the situation believe the “The Lakers will be the end game for the Magic center”.

Source: Chris Sheridan