2012 NBA Offseason Thread

Reaction score
gmoney112;4626795 said:
He made the All-Star team twice. In 6 years. Do you know what perennial* means?

And no Dirk didn't have "stacked" teams his whole career. They had a few decent teams when Finley and Nash were still on the squad and a few years where they had some relatively decent talent with Juwan Howard and Jamison, but the depth was abysmal and couldn't stack up against the Spurs or Lakers in a series.

It's laughable that you even stated that, when every single fan of basketball that has even paid relatively little attention to the Mavs in the last 10 years knows Dirk has been carrying them, aside from a few years here and there.

Get a clue, kid.

He was an All Star twice before he left. Two years in a row. Stop making excuses for the fact that Dirk always came up small in the clutch until last season. He was a great player, but when it mattered most he came up small up until last season. That's really why they lost. Guys like Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, and Shaquille O'Neal who are without question the three greatest players of the post Michael Jordan era all were clutch players. They all at one point came through when it mattered most. Aside from Dirk's magical playoff run last year he hasn't done that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Between losing the 06' finals and getting bounced in round 1, by 8th seed Golden State the next season, Dirk was the biggest chocker in the NBA till LeBron wrestled it from him.

juck

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626847 said:
He was an All Star twice before he left. Two years in a row. Stop making excuses for the fact that Dirk always came up small in the clutch until last season. He was a great player, but when it mattered most he came up small up until last season. That's really why they lost. Guys like Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, and Shaquille O'Neal who are without question the three greatest players of the post Michael Jordan era all were clutch players. They all at one point came through when it mattered most. Aside from Dirk's magical playoff run last year he hasn't done that.
I dont know Bieber man. i thought you actually watched the NBA. Obviously you havent. Do you watch the games? Being 18 Im sure you dont get NBA league pass to watch other teams so maybe it makes sense ur clueless. Kobe,Duncan and Shaq always had a superstar next to them when they won titles. Cmon man step it up.

Nowitzki annually ranks among the league's top clutch scorers, as calculated by 82games.com, which defines "clutch" as less than five minutes remaining and neither team ahead by more than five points. Nowitzki has averaged more than 40 points per 48 minutes in those situations in five of the past six seasons (39.3 in 2005-06 is the exception). He's averaging a career-best 47.1 points per 48 clutch minutes this season.

And this is from 2009. We know how 2011 turned out. Clutch and Dirk have never been an issue its lack of help that was the problem. Get a clue u lil front running Laker yankee espn watching kid.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4626945 said:
Between losing the 06' finals and getting bounced in round 1, by 8th seed Golden State the next season, Dirk was the biggest chocker in the NBA till LeBron wrestled it from him.
The exact opposite.
That's a crazy....

Dirk played has played BETTER in the playoffs than in the regular season his entire career. This in spite of double and triple teaming.

However, with the way you phrased that....I think we can both agree to disagree on this topic.
The hate was too thick there to overcome and reason with.
When it's like that, it's best to assume debating will get us nowhere.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cythim;4626562 said:
You think or you hope? Dallas doesn't get those types of FAs, which is why Dirk has never had one to play with. Go find someone in the draft, that is the best way to build for Dallas, Houston, and these other markets that are not LA, NY, or Boston.

I tend to agree with you. No one gets those kinda of free agents.

Miami is the lone super team built via free agency. Other guys got their players in trade. You know how LAL got Kobe and Gasol.

Where we disagree is you dont build through the draft as much as you build through trade. Outside OKC no elite team has built though the draft except the Spurs who tanked for Duncan and got lucky it worked out. The rest of their pieces have been about magnificent team-building and Pop. Guys who leave there fall of the face of the earth.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626656 said:
Nash was an All Star when he played with Dirk and you don't need two superstars to win as it was proven by Dallas in 2011. Dallas has had an elite roster for years, but never won it till last year. D-Will may regret staying in Brooklyn, but it's better than going to Dallas and playing with an aging Dirk and no one else. I never said Kobe was MJ so stop putting words in my mouth.

Dallas has not had an elite roster around Dirk ever.

They would have never been a top 4 seed without Dirk in any season in his career. EVER. His best SG was 6'2" JET who is a 6th man. Kidd at 36-38 was arguably his best PG

Nash is insanely over-rated. He is a terrible defender and was roundly booed here not long before he became this offensive system juggernaut under Nellie and D'Antoni. He was spit up and chewed out by Mike Bibby and Tony Parker in the playoffs which is why Cuban didn't match his PHX offer.

Chris Kaman is the best Center Dirk's ever played with other than his short time with Chandler. Brand the best 4.

The 2011 Mavs wasn't about great individual players but building a very good roster with proper roles and chemistry.

The 2012 roster around Dirk is arguably the best he's ever had. A point I think many miss.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4626945 said:

please dont post stupid things.

dirk averages 26 points and just over 10 rebounds per playoff game with 46% shooting and 38% from the 3 point line.

he had a bad Golden State series because his ex-coach knew his weaknesses and was best equipped to limit Dirk. that only made dirk better going forward.

fwiw Shaq averaged just under 25 points per game and just over 11 rebounds per game.

kevin garnett is 19.5 and 11.

kobe 25 points 5 rebounds, 5 assists.

true greatness? jordan averaged over 33 pts, 6 rebounds, 6 assts... holy crap.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;4627250 said:

The 2011 Mavs wasn't about great individual players but building a very good roster with proper roles and chemistry.

Nelson and Cuban had chemistry in mind when putting this 2012 group together.

Nowitzki and Kaman are long-time friends and Team Germany teammates
Kaman and Brand are very good friends and former teammates
Collison and Mayo are LA summer hoops buddies and close friends
Marion is a glue guy (and literally on defense :) )
Jay Crowder will be too...just wait
Brandon Wright fits nicely too

Then you'll notice that all the new younger guys can play defense.

It's a good mix

MC KAos

Reaction score
juck;4626968 said:
I dont know Bieber man. i thought you actually watched the NBA. Obviously you havent. Do you watch the games? Being 18 Im sure you dont get NBA league pass to watch other teams so maybe it makes sense ur clueless. Kobe,Duncan and Shaq always had a superstar next to them when they won titles. Cmon man step it up.

Nowitzki annually ranks among the league's top clutch scorers, as calculated by 82games.com, which defines "clutch" as less than five minutes remaining and neither team ahead by more than five points. Nowitzki has averaged more than 40 points per 48 minutes in those situations in five of the past six seasons (39.3 in 2005-06 is the exception). He's averaging a career-best 47.1 points per 48 clutch minutes this season.

And this is from 2009. We know how 2011 turned out. Clutch and Dirk have never been an issue its lack of help that was the problem. Get a clue u lil front running Laker yankee espn watching kid.

please tell me what superstar duncan had on his teams? in their prime? in 99, 03, or 05? hell, you can barely categorize parker as a superstar to include the 07 title. duncan won the 03 title about as single handedly as anyone has won a title in the history of team sports, with the exception of maradona in 86

Reaction score
Dash28;4627804 said:
I'm surprised he resigned with having the reported two year for 15 offer.

Good to have him back off the bench.

Yeah great pick up for us. Just need a couple of more quality bench players and we're good to go.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4627825 said:
please tell me what superstar duncan had on his teams? in their prime? in 99, 03, or 05? hell, you can barely categorize parker as a superstar to include the 07 title. duncan won the 03 title about as single handedly as anyone has won a title in the history of team sports, with the exception of maradona in 86
I think I agree on the superstar comment for the most. They did have star level players though.
In 1999, Duncan had David Robinson, who was still very good
In 2003, he had an old Robinson but a very good (not yet great) Parker
In 2005, he had both Parker and Ginobli
In 2007, Duncan , Parker, Ginobli were all top notch

I do think team chemistry has always been special for SA, but they also have had stars and a bunch of very strong support guys.

Reaction score
DFWJC;4627914 said:
I think I agree on the superstar comment for the most. They did have star level players though.

I do think team chemistry has always been special for SA, but they also have had stars and a bunch of very strong support guys.

Yeah to say Duncan won any of those titles is just flat out ridiculous. No one wins championships by themselves.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4627914 said:

Parker didn't play in the fourth quarter of playoff games in 03 though. Our crunch time line up consisted of speedy claxton, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Stephen Jackson and the last player, it depended on the situation. Duncan truly carried the 03 spurs to a title, specially vs the lakers.

Even in 05, our crunch time PG was either Brent Barry or Manu, tony didn't really blossom into a consistent player until 06 when chip engelend fixed his jumper

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4627964 said:
Yeah to say Duncan won any of those titles is just flat out ridiculous. No one wins championships by themselves.

You must not remember the 03 playoffs, was it cuz duncan single handedly abused the lakers? Or we're you just too young to remember?

Reaction score
MC KAos;4627983 said:
You must not remember the 03 playoffs, was it cuz duncan single handedly abused the lakers? Or we're you just too young to remember?

I vividly remember that series because it was the end of that series and yes I remember Duncan killing us, but also vividly remember others like Ginobli and Parker killing us. It wasn't just one guy it was the whole Spurs team that beat us.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MC KAos;4627825 said:

he had david robinson then parker and ginobli.
but he is about as close to dirk as you get.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
jterrell;4627278 said:
please dont post stupid things.

dirk averages 26 points and just over 10 rebounds per playoff game with 46% shooting and 38% from the 3 point line.

he had a bad Golden State series because his ex-coach knew his weaknesses and was best equipped to limit Dirk. that only made dirk better going forward.

fwiw Shaq averaged just under 25 points per game and just over 11 rebounds per game.

kevin garnett is 19.5 and 11.

kobe 25 points 5 rebounds, 5 assists.

true greatness? jordan averaged over 33 pts, 6 rebounds, 6 assts... holy crap.

please don't post "homer thoughts"

Dirk was out played big time by Dwayne Wade in those 06' finals. In game 3, he missed a free throw with 3.4 seconds that would've sent game 3 to OT. He followed that up by a 16 point performance in game 4. Followed that up by a lack luster 20 pt 8 rb game in game 5. He played very well in game 6 (29-15-2-0-2) but again was out played by Wade (36-10-5-4-3).

Again up untill he ran into another guy in Lebron who shrinks in the moment, Dirk was a definite choker.