2012 NBA Offseason Thread

crazytown41

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626247 said:
The Lakers should really just move on from the mess. It's great that Dwight wants to be a Laker, but it's not up to him at this point. Just extend Bynum and get a couple of more bench pieces.
Most logical thing you've said in this thread :p:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626247 said:
The Lakers should really just move on from the mess. It's great that Dwight wants to be a Laker, but it's not up to him at this point. Just extend Bynum and get a couple of more bench pieces.

the only real reason them staying in makes sense is to drive up the price for a Western Conf foe. it also keeps their name on sports center but probably drives their fans crazy. one super long tease.

they cant extend bynum until he is a fa. very stupid cba rule nut it is so.

end of the day they have what they have to offer and that isnt much. i dont see cle or hou saying ok cool we'll take bynum for all our draft picks plus eat bad contracts.

brooklyn had the green light for months and got no where even with draft picks to offer and a willingness to take back bad contracts.

were i lal i'd try to get a smaller trade done that nets a 1st round pick. i use the varajeo and a 1st for gasol as an example but as long as CLE feels they can get Bynum that probably doesn't happen.

right now i hate the lakers roster. i see zero way it lives up the hype. as a coach you want certain pieces to work with and the lakers have big names and egos but a severe lack of youth and athleticism for defense. they have a run and gun PG with Gasol/Bynum. Very strange mix that I don't think works.

Reaction score
Well I'm kinda glad we didn't get Grant Hill that would've made us ancient lol. We don't have alot of young talent/athleticism, but neither did the Dallas Mavs when they won their title. With that said we need to add a couple of young pieces. Lakers are rumored to go after Brandon Rush. I could see us sign and trading Jordan Hill for him. Then resign Ebanks and sign a cheap back up center.

Nash/Blake
Kobe/Rush
MWP/Ebanks
Pau/Jamison
Drew/FA

We really need to get rid of Steve Blake. That guy is terrible.

I just found out Boston got Courtney Lee for basically nothing. SmH.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626282 said:
Well I'm kinda glad we didn't get Grant Hill that would've made us ancient lol. We don't have alot of young talent/athleticism, but neither did the Dallas Mavs when they won their title. With that said we need to add a couple of young pieces. Lakers are rumored to go after Brandon Rush. I could see us sign and trading Jordan Hill for him. Then resign Ebanks and sign a cheap back up center.

Nash/Blake
Kobe/Rush
MWP/Ebanks
Pau/Jamison
Drew/FA

blake is a great spot up shooter but he is another terrible defender.

when dallas won the title it had marion/chandler/stevenson on defense.
it had amazing depth and parts that were hard to match up with. a lot of games dallas would win the bench battle by 20 points or more.

jjb/roddy b and mahinmi provided youth on that old squad.

what you listed above is like a 7 man rotation. that is really poor.

compare that to dallas who will bring on back ups that could start and battle for a final playoff spot.

i hear a lot of talk that the lakers are elite with this group as-is and i think those folks are crazy. time will tell.

Reaction score
jterrell;4626297 said:
blake is a great spot up shooter but he is another terrible defender.

when dallas won the title it had marion/chandler/stevenson on defense.
it had amazing depth and parts that were hard to match up with. a lot of games dallas would win the bench battle by 20 points or more.

jjb/roddy b and mahinmi provided youth on that old squad.

what you listed above is like a 7 man rotation. that is really poor.

compare that to dallas who will bring on back ups that could start and battle for a final playoff spot.

i hear a lot of talk that the lakers are elite with this group as-is and i think those folks are crazy. time will tell.

Well that's why I said we need to add a couple of more pieces. Preferably young guys who can defend. The only guys on our roster who can defend are World Peace, Kobe and Bynum. Rush is a solid defender and I'd love to get him. Delonte is a very nice two way guard and I'd also love to get him. Don't know if he'll leave Dallas.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626282 said:

Nash/Blake
Kobe/Rush
MWP/Ebanks
Pau/Jamison
Drew/FA

I just found out Boston got Courtney Lee for basically nothing. SmH.

Grant Hill would've given you a solid 13-17 minutes off the bench, though.

I think the Lakers will end up with Howard by the end of the month.

Reaction score
casmith07;4626313 said:
Grant Hill would've given you a solid 13-17 minutes off the bench, though.

I think the Lakers will end up with Howard by the end of the month.

He's really, really old though. We need some athleticism on the team.

juck

Reaction score
I think Dallas signs either Bynum or Howard next summer. They both would be superstars in Dallas .Kobe Bryant is so lucky to have always had a great center. I can only imagine how many rings Dirk would have if he always had players of that caliber next to him.

Reaction score
juck;4626551 said:
I think Dallas signs either Bynum or Howard next summer. They both would be superstars in Dallas .Kobe Bryant is so lucky to have always had a great center. I can only imagine how many rings Dirk would have if he always had players of that caliber next to him.

You said the same thing about Deron Williams. We all know how that turned out. This whole Kobe needs a dominant big argument is really tiring and ridiculous. What did Shaq win without Wade or Kobe? Nothing. What about Pau Gasol? He never even won a playoff game. Bottomline you need talent around you to win. Dirk had stacked teams around him his whole career and it took him 13 years to win a title.

If Bynum isn't traded he'll be extended by L.A.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
juck;4626551 said:

You think or you hope? Dallas doesn't get those types of FAs, which is why Dirk has never had one to play with. Go find someone in the draft, that is the best way to build for Dallas, Houston, and these other markets that are not LA, NY, or Boston.

juck

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626555 said:
You said the same thing about Deron Williams. We all know how that turned out. This whole Kobe needs a dominant big argument is really tiring and ridiculous. What did Shaq win without Wade or Kobe? Nothing. What about Pau Gasol? He never even won a playoff game. Bottomline you need talent around you to win. Dirk had stacked teams around him his whole career and it took him 13 years to win a title.

If Bynum isn't traded he'll be extended by L.A.
Dirk had stacked teams? Ur completely clueless. Name me one superstar he played with and dont say Nash that was before he was really good. Maybe Finley. JET is very good but not superstar. Chandler sucked and was used goods before Dallas. Name one.....please

DWILL will regret his decision. Cubes knows how to work the roster and DWILL is not getting a ring with Joe Johnson lol. Kobe always had a superstar next to him. So has Wade. Which is just another reason why Jordan always will be way better than KoMe.

Reaction score
juck;4626639 said:
Dirk had stacked teams? Ur completely clueless. Name me one superstar he played with and dont say Nash that was before he was really good. Maybe Finley. JET is very good but not superstar. Chandler sucked and was used goods before Dallas. Name one.....please

DWILL will regret his decision. Cubes knows how to work the roster and DWILL is not getting a ring with Joe Johnson lol. Kobe always had a superstar next to him. So has Wade. Which is just another reason why Jordan always will be way better than KoMe.

Nash was an All Star when he played with Dirk and you don't need two superstars to win as it was proven by Dallas in 2011. Dallas has had an elite roster for years, but never won it till last year. D-Will may regret staying in Brooklyn, but it's better than going to Dallas and playing with an aging Dirk and no one else. I never said Kobe was MJ so stop putting words in my mouth.

juck

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626656 said:
Nash was an All Star when he played with Dirk and you don't need two superstars to win as it was proven by Dallas in 2011. Dallas has had an elite roster for years, but never won it till last year. D-Will may regret staying in Brooklyn, but it's better than going to Dallas and playing with an aging Dirk and no one else. I never said Kobe was MJ so stop putting words in my mouth.
Answer the question Bieber... Name me a superstar Dirk played with...And dont gimme Kidd cause he was aged at that point. You cant.Kome needs another superstar. Dirk did it being the only superstar. I guarantee Dallas has a better record then the Nets.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Lol @ juck, Howard or Bynum are going to Dallas? Ya, and lebron will opt out next year and sign with the spurs for the vet minimum!

As for Kobe's supporting cast vs dirks, is that a joke? It's like comparing brittains allies in world war 2 to Germany's!

Reaction score
juck;4626679 said:
Answer the question Bieber... Name me a superstar Dirk played with...And dont gimme Kidd cause he was aged at that point. You cant.Kome needs another superstar. Dirk did it being the only superstar. I guarantee Dallas has a better record then the Nets.

Steve Nash.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626656 said:
That's comical.
Your argument for a team not needing multi superstars was the Mavs...lol..or the team you were arguing was loaded with stars earlier.

I mean, you really just validated Dirk's greatness using your own terms, now didn't you?

Reaction score
DFWJC;4626749 said:
That's comical.
Your argument for a team not needing multi superstars was the Mavs...lol..or the team you were arguing was loaded with stars earlier.

I mean, you really just validated Dirk's greatness using your own terms, now didn't you?

What are you talking about? I never said they were loaded with All Stars. I said they Dirk and Nash two All Stars and excellent depth. The 2011 Mavs had one star and excellent depth.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626766 said:
Not true. He was a perenial All Star in Dallas.

He made the All-Star team twice. In 6 years. Do you know what perennial* means?

And no Dirk didn't have "stacked" teams his whole career. They had a few decent teams when Finley and Nash were still on the squad and a few years where they had some relatively decent talent with Juwan Howard and Jamison, but the depth was abysmal and couldn't stack up against the Spurs or Lakers in a series.

It's laughable that you even stated that, when every single fan of basketball that has even paid relatively little attention to the Mavs in the last 10 years knows Dirk has been carrying them, aside from a few years here and there.

Get a clue, kid.