2012 NBA Offseason Thread

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Biggems;4628872 said:
stop acting like Dirk is Kevin Garnett.....Cuban has given Dirk plenty of weapons around him, but Dirk was too soft to lead his team properly. Garnett actually has beef about wasted years with no talent around him. When he actually got some talent, Marbury became a headcase and then Brandon lost his wheels.

and you mean had beef until he got rajon rondo, paul pierce and ray allen around him?

garnett's secret yet signed deal was the main reason he had no teammates for so long.

Reaction score
jterrell;4629454 said:
Dirk dominates Garnett head to head. Has their entire careers.

Garnett actually plays both sides of the floor. His entire career KG has been an elite defender and rebounder while Dirk hasn't. Dirk has been a great, great offensive player throughout his career, but mediocre at hest defensively and on the boards. Duncan is clearly the best power forward ever, then it's a toss up between Malone and Barkley, then another toss up between KG and McHale. Dirk is just outside of the top 5.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dirk was 3rd in game-winning playoff shots from 03-09.

http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

He was behind LeBron and Kobe both at 4. EXCEPT he also had 6 of 8 free throws made on game winning attempts. Which means in 10 playoff-game winning chances BEFORE he was the playoff MVP he had 10 chances to win games and got the basket or the foul shots 70% of the time. That's incredible.

Anyone who watched the Miami series knows what happened. The disgraced ref has admitted it was fixed. No one wanted Dallas winning that game 3 and ending the series early costing the league lots of money.

Wade was given free throws every trip down from game 3 on. Game 5 was the real deciding match and Wade had 25 free throw attempts. With Wade averaging 16 free throw attempts per game Miami won 3 games by 8 points total. Including at least 3 terrible late calls that either gave Wade FTs or prevented turnovers.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4629457 said:
Garnett actually plays both sides of the floor. His entire career KG has been an elite defender and rebounder while Dirk hasn't. Dirk has been a great, great offensive player throughout his career, but mediocre at hest defensively and on the boards. Duncan is clearly the best power forward ever, then it's a toss up between Malone and Barkley, then another toss up between KG and McHale. Dirk is just outside of the top 5.

Dirk ate Garnett alive playing man on man versus each other for years all while KG was supposedly a better player.
Dirk flat dominated KG.

For their careers KG is at 19 points and 10 rebounds, Dirk over 22 points and over 8 rebounds. KG is certainly a better defender but could never defend Dirk. Dirk could always defend KG's soft offensive game which consists of put backs and mid-range jumpers. Dirk was by far the better overall weapon and his team won a huge share of the games.

Dirk dominated KG in the one playoff series they matched up in.

Once Dallas got past the Nellie no-defense system Dirk developed into a solid defender who used his length especially in zone and in help situations. He defended LeBron just fine in 2011.

juck

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4629457 said:
Ur completely way off. Besides how would u know? U werent around to see them play.:laugh2:

juck

Reaction score
jterrell;4629472 said:
Dirk ate Garnett alive playing man on man versus each other for years all while KG was supposedly a better player.
Dirk flat dominated KG.

For their careers KG is at 19 points and 10 rebounds, Dirk over 22 points and over 8 rebounds. KG is certainly a better defender but could never defend Dirk. Dirk could always defend KG's soft offensive game which consists of put backs and mid-range jumpers. Dirk was by far the better overall weapon and his team won a huge share of the games.

Dirk dominated KG in the one playoff series they matched up in.

Once Dallas got past the Nellie no-defense system Dirk developed into a solid defender who used his length especially in zone and in help situations. He defended LeBron just fine in 2011.

Ur wasting ur words with this frontrunning fool. Hes biased towards Dirk cause he isnt a member of Da Club. He doesnt sell sneakers so Bieber wouldnt like him of course.

Reaction score
juck;4629587 said:
Ur wasting ur words with this frontrunning fool. Hes biased towards Dirk cause he isnt a member of Da Club. He doesnt sell sneakers so Bieber wouldnt like him of course.

Actually Dirk is one of my favorite players.

Reaction score
Magic May Keep Howard For Now

Dwight-Howard-frustrated.jpg

The Orlando Magic have told rival executives that they might not trade Dwight Howard after all, according to league sources.

An executive who has had discussions with the Magic regarding Howard said Orlando only will trade the star center in a deal that is great for the franchise. The executive said this has been Orlando's stance for the past "week or so."

Another executive who has talked with Orlando said he thinks the Magic may start the season with Howard and wait until the February trade deadline to move him.

Each executive left the door open for posturing, noting that the Magic may be bluffing in hopes of coaxing better offers out of opposing teams. But the overriding sense is that Howard may not be moved for weeks, if not months.

The Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets both covet Howard, but each team has come away from trade discussions thinking the Magic -- at least for now -- are not interested in trading the six-time All-Star, according to sources.

Source: ESPN

SMH, the Dwightmare will probably continue into next season. I hope Orlando loses him for nothing they deserve it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I attached this on the Mavs thread, but it could go here as well--some good information on the impact of new CBA going forward.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/...e-teams-cuban-learns-how-to-rebuild-mavericks

Here's one excerpt

Next summer, the kind of sign-and-trade arrangements that have sent Chandler, Marcus Camby and Raymond Felton to the Knicks -- and Steve Nash to the Lakers -- won't be permitted for teams that are over the $4 million luxury tax "apron." Further, teams that encroach on that apron will be limited to the smaller, $3 million mid-level exception in free agency and otherwise would face a payroll freeze at $4 million above the tax. Even with the league projecting a $75 million tax line in 2013-14 -- the first year of enhanced tax rates and prohibitions on tax teams doing sign-and-trades -- the high-payroll teams simply can't keep piling on year after year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DFWJC;4631232 said:
I attached this on the Mavs thread, but it could go here as well--some good information on the impact of new CBA going forward.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/...e-teams-cuban-learns-how-to-rebuild-mavericks

Here's one excerpt

Next summer, the kind of sign-and-trade arrangements that have sent Chandler, Marcus Camby and Raymond Felton to the Knicks -- and Steve Nash to the Lakers -- won't be permitted for teams that are over the $4 million luxury tax "apron." Further, teams that encroach on that apron will be limited to the smaller, $3 million mid-level exception in free agency and otherwise would face a payroll freeze at $4 million above the tax. Even with the league projecting a $75 million tax line in 2013-14 -- the first year of enhanced tax rates and prohibitions on tax teams doing sign-and-trades -- the high-payroll teams simply can't keep piling on year after year.

I actually considered excerpting this article as well.

Except it was the Dwight Howard piece.

Essentially Howard has ZERO leverage. NONE. NADA.
Magic are the only team that can give him that additional 25m next year.
Even in a sign and trade he can't get the extra year and 25m. He can only get that in Orlando.

LAL and Brook can not sign and trade for him next year. If they can't get him by the trade deadline they can't get him until they clear cap space for him.

I don't think LAL or BRK has an ice cube's chance in Hades of landing DH. What he wants is largely irrelevant. Sure he can take a free agent deal and if so welcome to Dallas, DH. But it will be for 25m less money and it still wont be his choice of destinations. Just his choice of teams with max cap dollars.

FWIW I think there is a great chance HOU gets Howard still. I think he'll "eventually" call his media buddies and report how he'd love to play with Lin long-term if a trade can be made. And when that happens HOU will use the assets they have built up to secure Howard by the trade deadline.

Reaction score
Lakers Interested In Delonte West

dal_120428_dal_delonte_west.jpg

The Los Angeles Lakers have expressed interest in free-agent guard Delonte West, according to a league source.

West, who turns 29 this week, averaged 9.6 points, 3.2 assists and 2.3 rebounds per game for the Dallas Mavericks last season. He appeared in just 44 games because of a fractured right ring finger and picked up one of the more bizarre fines in league history when he was docked $25,000 for giving Utah's Gordon Hayward a "wet willy."

West shot 46.1 percent from the floor and 35.5 percent on 3-pointers, and the Lakers view him as a versatile player who could back up both Kobe Bryant at shooting guard and Steve Nash at point guard while bringing his outside touch to a team that ranked 25th in the NBA in 3-point accuracy last year (32.6 percent).

Source: ESPN

I've been wanting this guy for a long time. Hope it happens. I'd be ecstatic.

juck

Reaction score
DWEST resigned with Mavs.
Marc Stein ‏ @ ESPNSteinLine

[leaving Palau Sant Jordi and just got word Delonte West has just committed to return to Mavs next season. More details as we get 'em[
*** Caplan ‏ @ ESPN_Caplan @ ESPNSteinLine: West has always said he wanted back with Mavs and told he'll formally sign new deal Wed. Story going online as we speak[]
[]Sorry Bieber.:laugh1:

Reaction score
Damn really wanted West. He would of been perfect in LA. Oh well. Hopefully we can still get another bench piece or two. If we stand pat I wouldn't be really that dissapointed. We've already had a terrific offseason. Got an All Star PG in Steve Nash and a terrific sixth man in Antawn Jamison. Also were able to re-sign Jordan Hill who was one of our lone bright spots in the playoffs.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
juck;4631739 said:
DWEST resigned with Mavs.
Marc Stein ‏ @ ESPNSteinLine

[leaving Palau Sant Jordi and just got word Delonte West has just committed to return to Mavs next season. More details as we get 'em[
*** Caplan ‏ @ ESPN_Caplan @ ESPNSteinLine: West has always said he wanted back with Mavs and told he'll formally sign new deal Wed. Story going online as we speak[]
[]Sorry Bieber.:laugh1:

:mchammer:

[youtube]JVA00Fngvmg[/youtube]

Suck it Lakers.

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;4632001 said:
Really C&L...West is nothing special.

The Lakers don't need him at all.

I never said he was, but he's a solid role player. Like I said though I'm more than happy with our offseason so far.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4631960 said:
Really dude? Good for y'all, but we don't need Delonte. We already vastly upgraded our roster.

No need to get upset.

SkinsandTerps;4632001 said:
Really C&L...West is nothing special.

The Lakers don't need him at all.

He's the kind of guy you want on your team, a tough gritty player. I loved him last season, I think he's awesome.