2012 NBA Offseason Thread

MC KAos

Reaction score
thats a weird trade, i havent looked at the contract lengths, but that seems like a really good trade for the wizards!

MC KAos

Reaction score
well, looks like the deal will save the hornets 21 million dollars, so i guess financially it makes sense for them. im guessing they will need it to resign gordon. they can also hope to have a solid year with the unibrow at the helm, and hope to attract free agents to the big easy in 2013.

Reaction score
Latest On Deron Williams

Deron-Williams.jpg

This summer's free agent class has something in common with the draft class -- it's not obvious who the second-best available player will be, but everyone knows which guy will be the top choice. In the draft, that's Anthony Davis, while in free agency, it's Deron Williams. We know Davis is ticketed for New Orleans, but where will Williams land? ESPN.com's Chris Broussard shares a few updates on this year's top free agent in his latest Insider-only piece, so let's dive in....

Williams has yet to make a decision, and is still weighing a number of factors that will affect his choice.
Although D-Will can make more guaranteed money by re-signing with the Nets, as I explained here, that's not expected to be a deciding factor.
Williams geniunely likes the Nets' franchise and the new location, and is more optimistic about the team's future than some observers are. However, if Gerald Wallace signs elsewhere, it figures to reduce the odds of Williams re-signing.
While the point guard would like to play in Brooklyn with Dwight Howard, he won't let Howard's future dictate his decision.
The Mavericks are still viewed as the Nets' greatest competition, but the Suns are another team that could pose a serious threat to Brooklyn. If the Suns don't re-sign Steve Nash, they should not be counted out of the Williams sweepstakes, says Broussard.

According to Broussard, Williams, a Dallas native, is unlikely to sign in any cold-weather city besides New York. That would rule out a team like the Pacers, which might otherwise be a good fit.

If Williams tells the Nets he won't re-sign, the team could explore sign-and-trade opportunities. However, the Nets would rather just take the cap space than acquire marginal players in return, so a sign-and-trade would probably only happen if the team could land a star. Broussard cites the Lakers' Andrew Bynum and the Knicks' Carmelo Anthony as two possibilities.

Hopefully Brooklyn isn't dumb enough to let Deron walk for nothing.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i read an article today from the LA Times with some quotes from jimmy buss, seems he is saying its quite likely the lakers will keep bynum and gasol and try to improve their roster around them and kobe, so if he is telling the truth its highly unlikely the lakers will be getting DWill. ill try to find the link

Reaction score
Dwight Wants To Be A Net By Draft Night

DH.jpg

Hennigan will immediately be confronted with making a decision on All-Star center Dwight Howard’s future. Howard is signed through the 2012-13 season, but another fallout with management has left him wanting a trade soon. Howard will push for a trade to the Brooklyn Nets before the June 28 NBA draft to clear the way for Nets free agent Deron Williams to re-sign with the Nets and partner in the new Brooklyn arena next season.

*** clown. Shouldn't have opted in.

MC KAos

Reaction score
here is the article: http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-simers-20120620,0,3727604.column

What are the chances of the Lakers starting the season with Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol all in Lakers uniforms?

"Very good," says Buss.

So you don't agree with those who say the Lakers must turn Gasol into two or three players via a trade?

"No," he says. "I think changes are going to be made moving Pau lower to the basket. We can improve that way with a change in coaching strategy rather than a change in personnel."

No moves?

"We will try to sign Sessions when the rules allow beginning in July," he says. "And improve the bench."

No major free-agent signings, no blockbuster trades?

"No," he says.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4599207 said:
*** clown. Shouldn't have opted in.

ya, that was quite a stupid move, i dont know what he planned to accomplish with that one.

Reaction score
MC KAos;4599211 said:

I went to some other forums and I couldn't believe the overreaction from that comment from Jim Buss. Whenever the Lakers make a big move it always goes under the radar. Look at the Pau Gasol trade in 2008. Even the Chris Paul trade that was vetoed last year. Even that was somewhat under the radar. That's just the way the Lakers are. Spurs are kind of the same way. It's what makes two of the best in the business.

Buss isn't gonna come out and say oh we're gonna try to trade for Deron Williams. That would be stupid. The Lakers just bowed out in the second round for the second consecutive season. They know they can't stand pat. Lakers fans aren't like most. There's a certain expectation. When the team doesn't fulfill those expectation fans are gonna be upset. Obviously the Lakers don't want that.

Pau Gasol is a goner for sure. He has a massive 19 million dollar contract. The Lakers can't afford to pay him nearly 20 million dollars for the next two seasons if they aren't contending.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4599230 said:
I went to some other forums and I couldn't believe the overreaction from that comment from Jim Buss. Whenever the Lakers make a big move it always goes under the radar. Look at the Pau Gasol trade in 2008. Even the Chris Paul trade that was vetoed last year. Even that was somewhat under the radar. That's just the way the Lakers are. Spurs are kind of the same way. It's what makes two of the best in the business.

true, but their executives usually keep EVERYTHING under wraps, not say nothing is happening and do another. having said that, there really isnt enough tape on jimmy to make an assumption, it will be interesting if he is true to his word or is simply posturing to get the most out of his trade chips.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4599230 said:

Buss isn't gonna come out and say oh we're gonna try to trade for Deron Williams. That would be stupid. The Lakers just bowed out in the second round for the second consecutive season. They know they can't stand pat. Lakers fans aren't like most. There's a certain expectation. When the team doesn't fulfill those expectation fans are gonna be upset. Obviously the Lakers don't want that.

Pau Gasol is a goner for sure. He has a massive 19 million dollar contract. The Lakers can't afford to pay him nearly 20 million dollars for the next two seasons if they aren't contending.

Exactly.

I take nothing out of his interview, if they can add a shooter and legit scoring threat off the bench and keep Gasol then good. I don't see that being possible unless someone just accepts the mini-Mle.

I'm hoping for DWill(not very likely but possible) but I believe Gasol will be dealt around draft time and bring a nice package of players.

Reaction score
Dash28;4599236 said:
Exactly.

I take nothing out of his interview, if they can add a shooter and legit scoring threat off the bench and keep Gasol then good. I don't see that being possible unless someone just accepts the mini-Mle.

I'm hoping for DWill(not very likely but possible) but I believe Gasol will be dealt around draft time and bring a nice package of players.

Call me crazy, but I think we get D-Will or Nash. I'd rather have Deron obviously because he's younger and better, but Nash even at his age is still an elite player. If Brooklyn is dumb enough to let him walk then he'll go to Dallas. If they smart up and trade him I think we get him.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4599239 said:
Call me crazy, but I think we get D-Will or Nash. I'd rather have Deron obviously because he's younger and better, but Nash even at his age is still an elite player. If Brooklyn is dumb enough to let him walk then he'll go to Dallas. If they smart up and trade him I think we get him.

It's going to be interesting and rumors flying around that LA making a push to get 1st rounder too.

If Nets are unable to get Howard then they would be smart to do three way trade with LA.

Reaction score
Dash28;4599247 said:
It's going to be interesting and rumors flying around that LA making a push to get 1st rounder too.

If Nets are unable to get Howard then they would be smart to do three way trade with LA.

I don't see how Brooklyn gets him. Dwight obviously wants to go there. Problem for them is they have no trade assets.

MC KAos

Reaction score
here is another rumor, just about an hour from the beginning of the offseason. this one about the rockets

http://www.hoopsworld.com/houston-rockets-moving-dalembert-16

The Houston Rockets have made no secret of the fact that they would like to move their two first round picks, either as part of a bigger move that lands a key player in Houston or as a way of moving into the top 10 in this draft class. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, they may have found a way to move one of those picks.

Samuel Dalembert says all the right things in talking about wanting to be back in Houston, but his relationship with Rockets head coach Kevin McHale could have been better, and partially because of that, he is no longer considered to be in the Rockets’ long-term plans. The fact that he can become a free agent in July makes him an attractive trade piece, either for a team looking for a decent starting center, or for a team looking to create cap space.

From the sounds of things, Houston has found a way to use Dalembert as a means to move the #16, though the source did not reveal the other team involved in the trade. Stay tuned to HOOPSWORLD to follow this developing story.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The Wizards traded Rashard Lewis and the 46th pick in the draft for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza from New Orleans.

MC KAos

Reaction score
casmith07;4600557 said:
The Wizards traded Rashard Lewis and the 46th pick in the draft for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza from New Orleans.

duh, i posted that yesterday! title revoked!

MC KAos

Reaction score
alright! lets get it on and popping! this i now the place to be for the offseason!! rumors should be flying fast and furious starting pretty much tomorrow! i REALLY hope jeff van gundy gets a coaching job...anywhere.....get him a job!