2012 NBA Offseason Thread

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4632002 said:
I never said he was, but he's a solid role player. Like I said though I'm more than happy with our offseason so far.

all the people in la who know very little basketball will be happy. at least until the games start.

the lakers added the two worst defenders in the nba (of players that actually play) at their respective positions in nash and jamison.

the team has zero depth.

nash was an all-star last year.. technically. definitely not earned. he played all of 4 minutes in the game itself as the last man on the roster. his season total was 13 points and 10.5 assists. his team was plainly awful.

maybe i am the crazy one here but i think far too many people are confusing entertaining with winning games.

kobe, gasol and artest all play less defense than they did a few seasons ago. so to surround them with pure offensive guys is not only puzzling but odd. it seems like they really banked on getting dh to carry that defense. if they get him that team makes some sense. without him... i dont get it at all.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Is Wayne Ellington any good? My Griz just traded a good role player for him. I'm not sure if it was a good trade or not.

Reaction score
jterrell;4632252 said:
all the people in la who know very little basketball will be happy. at least until the games start.

the lakers added the two worst defenders in the nba (of players that actually play) at their respective positions in nash and jamison.

the team has zero depth.

nash was an all-star last year.. technically. definitely not earned. he played all of 4 minutes in the game itself as the last man on the roster. his season total was 13 points and 10.5 assists. his team was plainly awful.

maybe i am the crazy one here but i think far too many people are confusing entertaining with winning games.

kobe, gasol and artest all play less defense than they did a few seasons ago. so to surround them with pure offensive guys is not only puzzling but odd. it seems like they really banked on getting dh to carry that defense. if they get him that team makes some sense. without him... i dont get it at all.

Nash definitely earned his All Star appearance. The guy averaged 13/11 with crap teammates and his effiency was ridiculous. He shot over 50 percent from the field. His TS% (True Shooting Percentage) was over 60. That's a terrific. Nash is also not nearly as bad defensively as people make it seem. Compared to all the people that made the All Star game last year he was 8th in isolation defense in points allowed per 100 possessions. He's no lockdown defender, but he's not atrocious either.

As for Jamison he can't defend I won't deny that, but he's still a big time scorer which is something the Lakers desperately need. Their bench was dead last along with the Charlotte Bobcats in points scored. Jamison will certaintly help with that. His effiency was low last season, but he was forced to be a #1 option. In Los Angeles with the Lakers he'll be the fixth option on offense.

Yes I agree the Lakers don't have great depth, but when you've got four All Stars you don't need great depth.

juck

Reaction score
Nash is SOOO bad at defense and his back is shot. I was happy Dallas didnt get him after i thought about it. Enough of these old PGs .Nash is older than Kidd i believe.

Reaction score
juck;4632506 said:
Nash is SOOO bad at defense and his back is shot. I was happy Dallas didnt get him after i thought about it. Enough of these old PGs .Nash is older than Kidd i believe.

His back isn't shot if that was the case he would've missed more than four games last season. His defense is far from bad. Statistically he was the 8th best All Star defender. Not great, but not horrible either. Kidd is almost a full year older than Nash.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
FOCUS people....there are other teams beside the lakers and mavs :laugh1:

Wayne Ellington......

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4632519 said:
His back isn't shot if that was the case he would've missed more than four games last season. His defense is far from bad. Statistically he was the 8th best All Star defender. Not great, but not horrible either. Kidd is almost a full year older than Nash.

You're basing a players defensive ability off of the All Star Game? They don't play defense in the ASG.

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;4632586 said:
You're basing a players defensive ability off of the All Star Game? They don't play defense in the ASG.

No you misread the stat. Among players who made the All Star game last season Nash was the 8th best defender.

Reaction score
Dwight Howard Still Wants To Be Traded

dwight-howard-orl.jpg

Dwight Howard reiterated to Orlando Magic general manager Rob Hennigan on Wednesday during a meeting in Los Angeles that he still wants to be traded and will leave as a free agent after next season.

The Magic considered the meeting as an opportunity to check in with Howard and brief him on their plans going forward, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

The Los Angeles Lakers would seem to be a team that has moved on with their business as the Magic pulled back on trade talks involving Howard.

Source: ESPN

There is a strong push coming from Howard's camp to deal the disgruntled center to the Lakers. Viewed as only realistic possibility.

Source: Chris Mannix

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
casmith07;4633141 said:
Hey guys I think Dwight Howard still wants to be traded.

I literally stopped caring a few weeks ago, I know how you feel.

When the Nets saga ended, and then the Lakers/Rockets 3 way deal fell through, I gave up on it.

I hope they trade him to the Charlotte Bobcats or Toronto Raptors at this point.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Muhast;4633158 said:
I literally stopped caring a few weeks ago, I know how you feel.

When the Nets saga ended, and then the Lakers/Rockets 3 way deal fell through, I gave up on it.

I hope they trade him to the Charlotte Bobcats or Toronto Raptors at this point.

I just would like to stop clicking on this thread thinking something has happened just to see another post about "The Magic are trying to trade Dwight Howard still."

Oh by the way, did you hear? I think the Magic are still trying to trade Howard to a team in the National Basketball Association.

juck

Reaction score
casmith07;4633228 said:
I just would like to stop clicking on this thread thinking something has happened just to see another post about "The Magic are trying to trade Dwight Howard still."

Oh by the way, did you hear? I think the Magic are still trying to trade Howard to a team in the National Basketball Association.
Thats lil man. He repost every single gossip tweet in this site and 90% of it revolves around the Lakers. We who follow the NBA on real NBA sites already know the recycled tweets. lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4632433 said:
Nash definitely earned his All Star appearance. The guy averaged 13/11 with crap teammates and his effiency was ridiculous. He shot over 50 percent from the field. His TS% (True Shooting Percentage) was over 60. That's a terrific. Nash is also not nearly as bad defensively as people make it seem. Compared to all the people that made the All Star game last year he was 8th in isolation defense in points allowed per 100 possessions. He's no lockdown defender, but he's not atrocious either.

As for Jamison he can't defend I won't deny that, but he's still a big time scorer which is something the Lakers desperately need. Their bench was dead last along with the Charlotte Bobcats in points scored. Jamison will certaintly help with that. His effiency was low last season, but he was forced to be a #1 option. In Los Angeles with the Lakers he'll be the fixth option on offense.

Yes I agree the Lakers don't have great depth, but when you've got four All Stars you don't need great depth.

i have actually watched steve nash play basketball.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4632519 said:

and kidd signed a 3 year 9 mil dollar deal with no trade assets used.

not a 3 year 27 mil deal with all the draft picks that could be used sent away.

dumb trade. more people will argue this come january.

dwight is trying badly to force his way to la but he can't because orlando isn't trading for what lal has left to offer. had they offered those picks plus bynum the deal is probably done.

if you have dwight, gasol, artest, kobe and delonte west is that better than what they have now?

heck yes!!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
juck;4633622 said:
Ill believe it when I see it. lol.

exactly. i am a mavs homer and would love to get howard but he's getting his extra 25 mil.

howard's agents are either terrible or he is one clueless moe.

he could have went to lal last year at the deadline for bynum and a 1st. he didn't and now lal has less trade chips and howard has even less leverage.

orlando has no reason to trade him until the trade deadline and if he whines, complains and underperforms for another half-season he loses appeal. LAL has the 2nd best center in basketball... it's insane to even deal with this kind of unnecessary drama at this point.

howard wants to be a totally free agent except picking his team beyond their available cap space and/or return to his rights holder. that's immature and unrealistic. take the 125m and ****.

Howard's best bet may be to take the deal and stay in Orlando 1 more year. Accept a trade in 2014 after his deal is locked in.