***2013 Nfl Draft Round 1 Discussion Thread***

RSM94

Reaction score
I like this pick too.....immediately plugs the biggest hole in the OL.....RG.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
gimmesix;5061234 said:
I agree. We finally draft a lineman, one who's considered a solid starter at this level and better than what we've got, and people pick it apart.

I'm fine with the pick if Dallas had him that high on its board. If he fails to play at a high level, then we need to address out O-line scouting. But let's wait to see if he fails first.

Obviously the problem is not the player but when he was selected!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
RSM94;5061204 said:
WalterFootball says Frederick would be a good 2nd round pick for the Boys: http://www.BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/scoutingreport2013tfrederick.php . So he may be a slight reach, but so were Justin Pugh and Kyle Long at 19 and 20....perhaps they were even bigger reaches. He will definitely shore up the interior OL....probably plays RG.

Listening to the commentary while watching the war room on dallascowboys.com, one of the broadcasters said a scout (not sure if it was Dallas') had him as a surefire first-round pick and said people will not be disappointed.

Plankton

Reaction score
They got cute, and made a bad trade down. Floyd should have been the pick. He was by far the best value on the board, and the trade down did not provide the same value. Frederick, while a solid player, would have at least been available at #47. He also doesn't fit a zone blocking scheme, so I don't understand what their philosophy is with the blocking scheme. Once Vaccaro went off the board, it was like they didn't have a plan.

What I would have done - stay and take Floyd.

What I would have done at #31 - take DT Kawaan Short.

Tomorrow, I would love to see them address the OL further, and add a DL and a RB. Something like:

#47 Larry Warford OG Kentucky - if they are going with a man-power scheme, he's a great fit.

#74 Giovani Bernard RB North Carolina - gives them a shifty, change of pace back who has excellent screen game receiving skills.

#80 Bennie Logan DT LSU - provides youth and a stout body inside.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
1LoyalCowboyFan;5061216 said:
In Callahan we trust? Hope this was his doing and he knows what he's doing

He didn't know what the hell he was doing
with Livings and Bernedaux(sp) did he?

gimmesix

Reaction score
DWAREZ;5061247 said:
Obviously the problem is not the player but when he was selected!

I don't worry about when players are selected, because the Mel Kipers of the world don't dictate their value.

If Frederick helps shore up the offensive line, then he was worth the pick.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Plankton;5061267 said:
They got cute, and made a bad trade down. Floyd should have been the pick. He was by far the best value on the board, and the trade down did not provide the same value. Frederick, while a solid player, would have at least been available at #47. He also doesn't fit a zone blocking scheme, so I don't understand what their philosophy is with the blocking scheme. Once Vaccaro went off the board, it was like they didn't have a plan.

Tomorrow, I would love to see them address the OL further, and add a DL and a RB. Something like:

#47 Larry Warford OG Kentucky - if they are going with a man-power scheme, he's a great fit.

#74 Giovani Bernard RB North Carolina - gives them a shifty, change of pace back who has excellent screen game receiving skills.

You nailed it bro!

JoaquinFenix

Reaction score
So yesterday Mike Fisher reports that Sharrif Floyd is in the Cowboys top 5. Floyd is there at #18, which makes this pick a no-brainer, right? Right?

Well, apparently not. We trade down and take Travis Frederick. David Moore just reported that the Cowboys graded Frederick as a 2nd rounder. Naturally, the Cowboys take him in the first.

The official Cowboys radio station calls Frederick and he confesses his surprise at being picked in the first round, as he considered himself a second rounder.

Oh yeah, the Cowboys also got fleeced in the trade-down by a team who has got picks coming out of their ears.

Is this real life?

Fredd

Reaction score
2nd round targets:

DL: Moore, Short, Carradine, JWilliams , Hunt
OL: Warford, Armstead, Watson
WR: Woods, Patton (I assume Allen and Hunter will be gone), TWilliams
RB: Lacy, Bernard
S: Cyprien, Thomas

3rd round targets (2 picks):

DL: BWilliams, Logan, Jenkins
OL: Thomas, Bahktari, Bailey
WR: Rogers, Swope
RB: Ball, Davis, Randle, Ellington, Franklin
S: Rambo, Swearinger

If our next 3 picks are Cyprien in the 2nd and BWilliams, DRogers in the 3rd, then I will actually be pretty happy....cyprien could be gone and if so, perhaps we go with one of the OL in the 2nd or one of the DL...then we have to take safety in the 3rd...Thomas could fall to the 3rd....

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
JoaquinFenix;5061297 said:
So yesterday Mike Fisher reports that Sharrif Floyd is in the Cowboys top 5. Floyd is there at #18, which makes this pick a no-brainer, right? Right?

Well, apparently not. We trade down and take Travis Frederick. David Moore just reported that the Cowboys graded Frederick as a 2nd rounder. Naturally, the Cowboys take him in the first.

The official Cowboys radio station calls Frederick and he confesses his surprise at being picked in the first round, as he considered himself a second rounder.

Oh yeah, the Cowboys also got fleeced in the trade-down by a team who has got picks coming out of their ears.

Is this real life?

Only real in Jerry's World!:lmao2:

DallasInDC

Reaction score
sacase;5061100 said:
POSITIVES: Top-notch football IQ and overall intelligence to recognize what the defense is doing and adjust the offensive line accordingly. Has bulked up and added bulk to his frame, carrying his weight well for a 335-plus pounder. Mobile enough to get to the second level and block in space. Thick upper body with the base strength to anchor off the snap and hold his ground.
Works hard with his technique and doesn't make many mistakes. Fights with a finishing attitude and understands different scenarios, keeping his head on a swivel. Better foot quickness and agility for a blocker with his size.

Comes from a program known for producing NFL-quality offensive linemen and has starting experience at both guard and center. High character individual and very coachable.

NEGATIVES: Lacks elite athleticism and has some stiffness in his hips. Needs to keep his weight in check to stay mobile. Susceptible to explosive interior linemen off the snap and needs to set up quicker to gain position and block off-balance.

COMPARES TO: John Moffitt, OL, Seattle Seahawks - Like Moffitt, Frederick lined up at both guard and center over his Wisconsin career, flashing the same sound technique and powerful base.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665144/travis-frederick

http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Combine-Wisconsin-OT-Travis-Frederick-Presser/a45b463a-0a37-4051-b700-15b3c34ce671

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45pQt9YqLoE

Seems to be a reach at 31 but is versatile and a RKG. It's only a reach if he doesn't play up to a first round talent. Just because he was mocked as a 2nd/3rd pick doesn't mean he can't play up to the level of a 1st round pick. We will just have to wait and see.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Plankton;5061267 said:

Right. Saw same sentiments in Twittet

@Eric_edholm I just still can't figure out what Dallas did tonight.
10:59pm - 25 Apr 13

@claytoncargill@Eric_Edholm first, they got cute, afraid of floyd’s arms. Took a haircut on trade, went too far back. Then, everybody good gone, $&@@ bed

gimmesix

Reaction score
btcutter;5061184 said:
Nevertheless, I dislike how JJ had to trade just to trade. Worst GM in NFL.

I don't think he traded just to trade. The players they valued with that pick were gone.

It appears to me they wanted an OL and traded down to the value of the next tier of OL (Pugh, Long, Frederick, etc.).

kirkjrk

Reaction score
That display of War Room management was as bad as one could imagine. Travis Fredericks's write up at BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1 is as bad as I've ever seen on a 3rd rounder--5.58 40spd, problems in pass protection, problems with bull rushers and he is used in power blocking scheme not zone blocking. Had poor game against Penn state's Jordan Hill who is no top of the line DT. Frederick has potential Bust written all over him. Wow I'm just dumfounded. I waited 4 months for this, screw it.

This more than anything puts the nail in the coffin. If there was any doubt if the team could lead this team toward the playoffs. This proves without reservations they can't. They can't draft, can't manage the Cap Space so limited on Free Agents, Won't cut retreads in timely manner and in fact signs some of them to large contracts. This reminds me so much of the government when they cram things down our throats and we can't do anything about it.

We fans don't deserve this kind of incompetence. Jerry survives in spite of himself. Stop going to games, stop buying Cowboy items , stop doing anything that puts money in Jerry's pocket.

davey999

Reaction score
JoaquinFenix;5061297 said:

Is this real life?

Real life for a consistently bad team...

fishspill

Reaction score
1LoyalCowboyFan;5061216 said:
In Callahan we trust? Hope this was his doing and he knows what he's doing

Wasn't that the line we heard last season?

Zordon

Reaction score
press conference, jerry has no issue starting without the head coach....you know, the guy who runs the draft. :laugh2: