2015-2016 NBA Season Thread

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Another strong night For Kristaps Porzingas, 24 pts, 14 rebs, 2 asts, and 7 blks. He may not be as good as Karl Anthony Town or Jahlil Oakafor, but he's just far better than I was expecting.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Another strong night For Kristaps Porzingas, 24 pts, 14 rebs, 2 asts, and 7 blks. He may not be as good as Karl Anthony Town or Jahlil Oakafor, but he's just far better than I was expecting.

I think he's better than Oakafor, (who is an underwhelming rebounder and defender.. motor is average... I've watched most of his games), and I think he has as much potential as KAT. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the better player in the long run... (Although KAT is a good one)

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think he's better than Oakafor, (who is an underwhelming rebounder and defender.. motor is average... I've watched most of his games), and I think he has as much potential as KAT. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the better player in the long run... (Although KAT is a good one)

I haven't gotten a chance to watch the sixers this year, but he seems like a better rebounder and defender than the experts said he would be. He may not ever be an 13+ rpg this year, but I think he'll be a tick under 10 at the end of this year and over 1.5 blocks.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I haven't gotten a chance to watch the sixers this year, but he seems like a better rebounder and defender than the experts said he would be. He may not ever be an 13+ rpg this year, but I think he'll be a tick under 10 at the end of this year and over 1.5 blocks.

don't be fooled. he doesn't rebound out of his area, and he blocks shots at the basket but he's a terrible overall defender.... Put him in the pick and roll, he's in trouble. Offensively he's amazing, and he's just big. But he's always been who he's been... HS ,& College....

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
A Convo on Okafor play so far (pretty accurate from what I've watched, which is unfortunately most of their games :():

Chad Ford: I think he's largely played exactly as we thought he would: Dominant offensively. A liability defensively.
Okafor has always been a special low-post scorer. I'm not sure I've ever seen a big man who has the combination of low-post skills (footwork, hands, go-to moves) that Okafor has at his age.

He's already been pretty dominant as a 19-year-old. No one in the NBA is taking more shots within nine feet of the basket than Okafor. And just two centers (DeMarcus Cousins and Andre Drummond) are taking (and making) more shots within five feet of the basket.

He's a low-post monster -- not only with his back to the basket, but also taking his guy off the dribble from the top of the elbow. And as far as his scoring goes, he's averaging more PPG than any other rookie center in the past 20 years. While he could be more efficient, overall he's been very, very good for a rookie.

How about his defense?
Ford:
Well, it was concerns about Okafor's defense that ultimately cost him being the No. 1 pick. And so far, the pre-draft concerns look very warranted. Right, Kevin?

Pelton: They do. With Okafor on the court, the Sixers are allowing 109.0 points per 100 possessions according to NBA.com/Stats, which would be tied for 28th in the league. When he's on the bench, Philadelphia's defensive rating improves to 96.9, which would rank second.

Because the sample is so small, plus-minus statistics are hardly definitive at this point. Unfortunately, these match up well with watching Okafor play. Though he'll block the occasional shot and opponents are actually shooting quite poorly against him around the rim, Okafor is often too late to rotate over as a help defender.

He's also been ineffective on the defensive glass. Okafor's 17.0 percent defensive rebound rate is far worse than league average for a center (22.8 percent) and the team has rebounded better with him on the bench

Is an Okafor trade possible?
Ford: Well, you know the answer that Philly will give publicly -- that they love him and he isn't going anywhere. But if there were any team in the league that would be willing to move a player like Okafor a month or two into the season, I think it's the Sixers.

There are few people in the league that scout the draft more thoroughly than Hinkie does, which means I believe he saw Kristaps Porzingis, Emmanuel Mudiay, Justise Winslow and Okafor as much as anyone did. And he chose Okafor despite the fact that Porzingis, Mudiay or Winslow all would have been much better complements to the current roster (and all three might be better players in the long run because of Okafor's weaknesses).

The only justification I can really give for selecting Okafor is that Hinkie thought Okafor was the superior asset, that given his size and long history as a potential No. 1 guy, Hinkie believed he could fetch the highest price the fastest if he needed to move him.

Last edited:

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Sixers, Sixers, Sixers.

No one could get the ball to Oak late in the game.. No one good enough to feed the post, no proper plays to get him in position.... Blow a double digit lead late...

0-16:(

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Kobe's Retirement Letter:

KOBE BRYANT

Dear Basketball,

From the momentI started rolling my dad’s tube socksAnd shooting imaginaryGame-winning shotsIn the Great Western ForumI knew one thing was real:
I fell in love with you.

A love so deep I gave you my all —
From my mind & bodyTo my spirit & soul.

As a six-year-old boyDeeply in love with youI never saw the end of the tunnel.I only saw myselfRunning out of one.

And so I ran.
I ran up and down every courtAfter every loose ball for you.You asked for my hustleI gave you my heartBecause it came with so much more.

I played through the sweat and hurt
Not because challenge called meBut because YOU called me.I did everything for YOUBecause that’s what you doWhen someone makes you feel asAlive as you’ve made me feel.

You gave a six-year-old boy his Laker dream
And I’ll always love you for it.But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.This season is all I have left to give.My heart can take the poundingMy mind can handle the grindBut my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.

And that’s OK.
I’m ready to let you go.I want you to know nowSo we both can savor every moment we have left together.The good and the bad.We have given each otherAll that we have.

And we both know, no matter what I do next
I’ll always be that kidWith the rolled up socksGarbage can in the corner:05 seconds on the clockBall in my hands.5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1

Love you always,
Kobe

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dear-basketball/

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
sixers win!!!!
Neverending-Story-Victory-Falkor-Gif.gif

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Sixers Fans Knew This... KB was destined to be a Laker... despite the jargon, it was made to be this way....

On Kobe Bryant: "I was going to take him at 8 [in 1996]. I took [Kerry] Kittles and at the time the ownership was on me, 'You can't take a high school kid, blah, blah blah.' And I said if Kittles was available I'll take him. If he's not, I'm taking Kobe. And then Arn Tellem called me, he's a friend, 'Don't take him, he'll go to Europe.' I said you have to go to Europe then. They had their deal with L.A...Here was my thing, in the beginning Kerry will be better. In 5-7 years, Kobe will be better. But the couple, and I was right, Kerry was better the first couple years. But by Year 3, Kobe went off."

-John Calipari

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Well, it wasn't as easy as it was looking in the 3rd......but it was a win. I will take it.

GO SPURS GO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

He'll likely be better than both as a pure scorer. Just not as dominant as either. Okafor has to be live with being in basketball purgatory and KAT should be the next great big man, but those monster bodies don't always hold up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
8-11 from 3 for steph... another 40....
best offensive player in the league, no question imo.

He is having the best season by a shooter in the league's history.

GSW were always going to be better this year than last... I just didn't expect them to be good enough to win a title this year.
That team is simply outstanding in every way that matters.
The only issue they have will be paying everyone and keeping role players.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Sixers bring in Jerry Colangelo as chairmen of basketball operations....
hmmmmm

- Colangelo specifically noted the need for additional leadership among the players and a need to repair the agent/team relationship.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
No manu, tim, or kawhi and we still win by 51.....setting a franchise record for margin of victory...too bad i missed watching it cause of work and the cowboys game.