2015-2016 NBA Season Thread

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sixers bring in Jerry Colangelo as chairmen of basketball operations....
hmmmmm

- Colangelo specifically noted the need for additional leadership among the players and a need to repair the agent/team relationship.

Move was forced on the club by the other owners who were tired of losing money for the teamtank4life plan.
Philly is literally ruining good, young talent all because they are bad at math.
These kids aren't going to resign with an abject horrid team unless they get insanely overpaid(and those are the types of players you do not want).
Makes them a glorified DLeague team for no reason.
Hinkle is likely not running the next draft or off-season.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Move was forced on the club by the other owners who were tired of losing money for the teamtank4life plan.
Philly is literally ruining good, young talent all because they are bad at math.
These kids aren't going to resign with an abject horrid team unless they get insanely overpaid(and those are the types of players you do not want).
Makes them a glorified DLeague team for no reason.
Hinkle is likely not running the next draft or off-season.

It was initiated by the league. I think this was the unofficial firing of Hinkie....

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Had the opportunity to go to the Staples Center tonight for the first time. It wasn't the Lakers(Clips vs Bucks), but it still was an awesome experience. It is nice not having a rooting interest and just enjoying the game and venue :)

My wife's work had a catered suite, so free food and booze! Best seats that I have ever had at a bball game and I have had pretty close to court-side. The suite was mid-court about halfway up.....just perfect.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Well if there was any doubt...
The Henkie era in philly is over...
two early second rounder for ish smith? questionable... but, they should have resigned him in the off season first. Second, good will trade with NO for trading them an injured Jrue Holiday.
Good Bye Tony Wrotten, obviously NO didn't want to take on his contract. Sixers released him after the trade. He will find a home when healthy.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed but I was very surprised when I looked at the standings today. 3 of the top 4 teams (record wise) in the NBA are in the West. That's not surprising at all. What is surprising is that the 2-8 seeds in the East have a better record than the 4 seed in the West. I'm used to most years when only 2 East teams have winning records and only 2 West teams have losing records.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lotta good basketball for Christmas Day but the NBA really needs to stop the madness with these Lakers. They just don't need to be on TV. No one should be forced to watch such bad basketball.

Sixers: Yes, you have to start trading off picks because you don't have roster space to actually use them. Hinkle really took it to the goofball extreme.

East v West: East is slowly getting better but still has virtually zero shot of upending the Cavs OR winning the title.
The West is still king.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Lotta good basketball for Christmas Day but the NBA really needs to stop the madness with these Lakers. They just don't need to be on TV. No one should be forced to watch such bad basketball.

Sixers: Yes, you have to start trading off picks because you don't have roster space to actually use them. Hinkle really took it to the goofball extreme.

East v West: East is slowly getting better but still has virtually zero shot of upending the Cavs OR winning the title.
The West is still king.

Kobe = viewers.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kobe = viewers.

I am guessing that will be the lowest rated game of the day.
Viewers like competitive, meaningful games between rivals.

Kobe isn't that big a draw right now.

ABC had the highest NBA ratings since 2011.
The ESPN slate wasn't even higher than LAST YEAR.

The Clip versus Mavs or Celtics or just about anyone with a pulse would have likely drawn better and been better basketball.

The Lakers are on TV farrrr too much for how bad they are. Even the Lakers fans are like lord take us of TV.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I am guessing that will be the lowest rated game of the day.
Viewers like competitive, meaningful games between rivals.

Kobe isn't that big a draw right now.

ABC had the highest NBA ratings since 2011.
The ESPN slate wasn't even higher than LAST YEAR.

The Clip versus Mavs or Celtics or just about anyone with a pulse would have likely drawn better and been better basketball.

The Lakers are on TV farrrr too much for how bad they are. Even the Lakers fans are like lord take us of TV.

He's still a big draw. 1st returns for the all star game, Kobe was tops.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He's still a big draw. 1st returns for the all star game, Kobe was tops.

The Lakers ratings are at the lowest point in over a decade even with Kobe on a retirement tour. Not that big a draw obviously.

Bad basketball is bad basketball.
People trying to get Kobe to play with anyone but the Lakers is why he is the leading vote getter.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Spurs avenge the loss on Christmas.....dominate the Rockets in the 2nd half, specifically the 3rd Q.

It was great to see Green find his stroke from beyond the arc tonight. He has been struggling mightily this year. Now if we can just get Patty to find a consistent stroke.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The Lakers ratings are at the lowest point in over a decade even with Kobe on a retirement tour. Not that big a draw obviously.

Bad basketball is bad basketball.
People trying to get Kobe to play with anyone but the Lakers is why he is the leading vote getter.

Well ya. What do you expect. The Lakers themselves aren't exactly watchable.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well ya. What do you expect. The Lakers themselves aren't exactly watchable.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-clippers-ratings-20150218-story.html

The Lakers will start play after the All-Star break two games ahead of the Minnesota Timberwolves for the worst record in the Western Conference.

Quantifying where the Lakers' television ratings could bottom out is a bit harder.

Nielsen ratings for the Lakers in the Los Angeles market are at an all-time low, dipping below a 2.00 rating for the first time, according to the ratings firm.

my man, google is not hard.

i actually heard or saw it from the lakers beat reporter from espn la earlier THIS year.
it is certainly possible that the kobe announcement spiked them up beyond the abysmal 2015 numbers but we were into the season when shelbourne spoke about it.
and again, the Lakers should NEVER be on national TV broadcasts until they can compete.

From 20 hours ago...
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...losing-gap-in-local-television-ratings-010716

One would assume that, despite another down season, the Lakers' ratings would actually be higher following Kobe Bryant's announcement that he is retiring after the season. But that hasn't been the case.

The team is experiencing its lowest TV ratings since moving to Los Angeles in 1960 and a 23 percent drop-off from this point last season. To show just how steep of a drop that is, think about this: The Clippers' TV ratings have actually dropped by five percent this season, yet they've considerably narrowed the gap between the two franchises.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

while I disagree, so many teams messed up in that draft. yes Leonard is better than Kyrie Irving, you can't really fault CLE for taking him. he was the undisputed top prospect, and has lived up to expectations. and yes, Leonard is better than Klay Thompson, but GS got a steal in him, so you can't really blame them either. But pretty much every guy else, is a jag or worse. the Wizards likely made the worst pick in Jan Vessely, and for the life of me, I don't know what his upside was ever going to be. Didn't shoot well, wasn't a special defender or rebounder. at best an average passer for his position, which means (at PF doesn't say much). Can't believe Ernie Grundfeld survived that pick.