2015-2016 NBA Season Thread

bounce

Reaction score
while I disagree, so many teams messed up in that draft. yes Leonard is better than Kyrie Irving, you can't really fault CLE for taking him. he was the undisputed top prospect, and has lived up to expectations. and yes, Leonard is better than Klay Thompson, but GS got a steal in him, so you can't really blame them either. But pretty much every guy else, is a jag or worse. the Wizards likely made the worst pick in Jan Vessely, and for the life of me, I don't know what his upside was ever going to be. Didn't shoot well, wasn't a special defender or rebounder. at best an average passer for his position, which means (at PF doesn't say much). Can't believe Ernie Grundfeld survived that pick.

You also have to credit the Spurs, specifically Chip Engelland, for developing Kawhi. He's obviously a physical freak, but his shot was pretty bad coming out of college. Engelland totally rebuilt it, and now he's leading the league in 3p%. His ball handling gets better every year, and he's constantly developing new moves. A lot of that credit goes to the Spurs staff. All that to say, I don't think teams can be faulted for passing on him because I don't think he was projected for what he's become.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
You also have to credit the Spurs, specifically Chip Engelland, for developing Kawhi. He's obviously a physical freak, but his shot was pretty bad coming out of college. Engelland totally rebuilt it, and now he's leading the league in 3p%. His ball handling gets better every year, and he's constantly developing new moves. A lot of that credit goes to the Spurs staff. All that to say, I don't think teams can be faulted for passing on him because I don't think he was projected for what he's become.

And his willingness to be a student/ student of the game...

The kid is definitely the poster boy for building skills properly.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

As someone who lives near DC, most fans here wanted no part of Jan Vessely and wanted Kawhi Leonard. I thought Klay Thompson would have been a good pick, but really was hoping he'd fall to the Knicks pick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kawhi is an example of maxing out. Very few people much less NBA players totally max out but Kawhi has.
He has elevated every aspect of his game and everything has fallen into place for him.
Right environment, right teammates, right dev staff, right attitude, right coach, right veteran leaders.

I respect the crap out of the Spurs and there is no team I enjoy beating more.

GSW, Spurs, OKC, Clips is going to make a very tasty WC playoffs. EC is better but no where near that elite grouping.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
This is looking way to far ahead, but what do you guys think the chances are that Russell Westbrook leaves OKC after the 2017 season? I think there's a good chance Kevin Durant leaves after this season, just not sure where and I don't know if Westbrook would want to stay in OKC in that scenario.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is looking way to far ahead, but what do you guys think the chances are that Russell Westbrook leaves OKC after the 2017 season? I think there's a good chance Kevin Durant leaves after this season, just not sure where and I don't know if Westbrook would want to stay in OKC in that scenario.

What KD does obviously matters but it looks to me like he stays.
Stars seldom leave if they are winning. OKC is winning and has lots of pieces. 3rd best record in basketball right now.

Westbrook is an LA guy. If the Clips wanted to trade for him that might happen. I don't think LAL is possible given the lack of talent in place there. But Westbrook is really a weird cat. Predicting him is probably beyond all of us.
I expect OKC to really woo him as he is still improving.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Well I am happy that Leonard made the All-Star game, he deserves it. He is the best defensive wing in the game today. Now, he has brought an offensive game to go along with it.

He is one of my favorites on the HEB commercials that the Spurs do. If you haven't seen them, you should you tube them. I just wish they would use Bonner in them. He is a natural goof.

The Monday night matchup cannot get here fast enough. Hopefully we will have our full squad available......but knowing Pop, he may sit a player or two, just to do it.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Well I am happy that Leonard made the All-Star game, he deserves it. He is the best defensive wing in the game today. Now, he has brought an offensive game to go along with it.

He is one of my favorites on the HEB commercials that the Spurs do. If you haven't seen them, you should you tube them. I just wish they would use Bonner in them. He is a natural goof.

The Monday night matchup cannot get here fast enough. Hopefully we will have our full squad available......but knowing Pop, he may sit a player or two, just to do it.

Its actually solid strategy, although it sucks for the fans...
don't allow teams to see something that they may see later....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Josh Smith back to HOU in most obvious move ever. No idea why HOU let him leave and no idea why LAC is giving him back to a competitor.

But in HOU with Howard was his best look by a million miles for both those players.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Josh Smith back to HOU in most obvious move ever. No idea why HOU let him leave and no idea why LAC is giving him back to a competitor.

But in HOU with Howard was his best look by a million miles for both those players.

I guess they don't think Houston is a competitor? :confused:
signing him just seemed liked a way to block him from houston after last years playoffs. J Smoove should have signed somewhere else anyway or resigned with the rockets.....

Also, bye bye blatt......hello ty lue... at least they should be better defensively. but that "iso lebron" offense has been terrible since miami...

drive and kick!

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

Iverson1.jpg

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
signing him just seemed liked a way to block him from houston after last years playoffs. J Smoove should have signed somewhere else anyway or resigned with the rockets.....

Also, bye bye blatt......hello ty lue... at least they should be better defensively. but that "iso lebron" offense has been terrible since miami...

drive and kick!

yea, it's just strange. guess maybe they thought he'd wind up with an even bigger threat but if they release him there's a decent chance he goes somewhere with cap space.
maybe it was just a favor to him.

the rockets dug themselves a hole with a goofy off-season, there's zero way i'd be helping them dig out of it.
josh smith as point forward of the limited non-harden rotation is really good.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

drive and kick!

Blatt is likely a far better coach than Lue.
He's getting knocked for his non-NBA experience but he has 30 years of serious coaching ties and experience.
He took them to the finals and they are in 1st place as we speak.
Not sure the move helps them in any way.
LeBron is a great player but he's ready to be a player/coach and that's basicvally wehat this hire does.
Lue has earned his stripes I kinda feel bad for him as well.
Now he's LeBron's asst instead of Blatt's.

I'm just glad the Mavs locked up Carlisle long-term.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Blatt is likely a far better coach than Lue.
He's getting knocked for his non-NBA experience but he has 30 years of serious coaching ties and experience.
He took them to the finals and they are in 1st place as we speak.
Not sure the move helps them in any way.
LeBron is a great player but he's ready to be a player/coach and that's basicvally wehat this hire does.
Lue has earned his stripes I kinda feel bad for him as well.
Now he's LeBron's asst instead of Blatt's.

I'm just glad the Mavs locked up Carlisle long-term.

I don't think Blatt got a chance to show what he could do... He didn't get a chance to run his signature offense ( Princeton O), the players turned to Lue in adversity, and he got called out for almost calling a critical time out that Cleveland didn't have in the playoffs... it was alway noted that Lue stopped him. He obviously knew how to handle himself, and delegate. But the players didn't trust him, apparently neither did Griffin (he was a Gilbert hire).... He may get a chance to do some real coaching next year... rumor is BK likes him.... good luck to him..

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
yea, it's just strange. guess maybe they thought he'd wind up with an even bigger threat but if they release him there's a decent chance he goes somewhere with cap space.
maybe it was just a favor to him.

the rockets dug themselves a hole with a goofy off-season, there's zero way i'd be helping them dig out of it.
josh smith as point forward of the limited non-harden rotation is really good.

Better to trade him to a dysfunctional team, than let him walk to a true threat.... I guess.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kawhi is an example of maxing out. Very few people much less NBA players totally max out but Kawhi has.
He has elevated every aspect of his game and everything has fallen into place for him.
Right environment, right teammates, right dev staff, right attitude, right coach, right veteran leaders.

I respect the crap out of the Spurs and there is no team I enjoy beating more.

GSW, Spurs, OKC, Clips is going to make a very tasty WC playoffs. EC is better but no where near that elite grouping.

Agree with what you say except Leonard hasn't come close to maxing out yet.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't think Blatt got a chance to show what he could do... He didn't get a chance to run his signature offense ( Princeton O), the players turned to Lue in adversity, and he got called out for almost calling a critical time out that Cleveland didn't have in the playoffs... it was alway noted that Lue stopped him. He obviously knew how to handle himself, and delegate. But the players didn't trust him, apparently neither did Griffin (he was a Gilbert hire).... He may get a chance to do some real coaching next year... rumor is BK likes him.... good luck to him..

Well he was hired to coach a young, rebuilding team then LeBron announced and that all changed.
But this is a huge risk CLE is taking.
Lue was oging ot get ahead job soon but like Blatt this is not the right job to start with.
If he can't hold on and win the East he may well be replaced and required to hit another couple season as asst before a 2nd chance comes.
Really tough deal all the way around.
The pressure is on big-time in CLE and they really are still no closer to beating GSW.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
How long before people get tired of the Warriors like everyone got tired of the Patriots years ago?

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
How long before people get tired of the Warriors like everyone got tired of the Patriots years ago?

GS is likable.... Steph got that glow like Magic had.... He's generational in personality &/or, style, like Dr, Magic, MJ, & Iverson....

The Spurs are more like the Pats...... mechanical, tactical....

all imo, of course...

Last edited:

bounce

Reaction score

People hate on teams that win a lot. The Warriors are so damn likable, though. Obvious charming superstar, personable head coach, and a good supporting cast. There's nothing to dislike about that team, unless you're really stretching to find something.