#34 Darius Jackson

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Don't see why they would cut him. He's cheap, can carry the ball 15-20 on a given gameday if needed in case of an injury and most importantly he's a good nickel RB.

I think Dunbar is the one who could be in trouble.

Jackson can force himself on the roster as a 4th RB by shining on Special Teams.

I'm willing to be that the only people that think McFadden should be cut right now are the same people that never wanted him on the team to begin with.

wileedog

Reaction score
I'm willing to be that the only people that think McFadden should be cut right now are the same people that never wanted him on the team to begin with.

Meh, I was pretty ok with signing him last year (although I was assuming they would draft someone too). I didn't know they would need to change the blocking scheme completely for him to be remotely effective though.

With Morris in, I think that is what makes him expendable.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Elliot, Morris, McFadden are locks to make this team. We may keep a 4th one and thats where the battle begins.

plasticman

Reaction score
Year in and year out, hasn't there been enough proof that you never assume your star player is even going to make it to the regular season?

Rookies get hurt, especially.

Pray it never happens but let's be realistic.

Jackson is part of the Cowboys being realsitic. There are a few emergency scenarios where McFadden, Morris and Jackson are the rotation.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ding ding ding... I would let two of the vets walk...or cut em...I am ready to go young, smart and fearful of a smart tough HC...wait...this just in...we need a HC that players fear.....

Jackson also plays teams. Big in terms of a #3 HB

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Go with two rookies and Morris. Elliott's plug and play. Morris is a nice backup and Jackson can be worked in slowly. He's got the upside to warrant the roster spot. You're not going to sneak him on to the practice squad.

This would be a complete flush of the RBs we started last season with. Something that I think had to be done.

Morris IMO is a better backup in the event we lose Elliott for a few games. Younger, zone blocking back, who is more durable and you could run 20 times in a game without fear of him getting hurt. He had a couple solid games last year so I dont doubt he could pull a 100 yard game out of his backside if he had pinch hit for a game of 2

As for Jackson, that 3rd HB is spot that want teams play out of. He gives them that. I think its likely he is competing more with Rod Smith then McFadden or Morris for that spot

gmoney112

Reaction score
RB's get banged up, so right now McF is my insurance policy.

If everyones healthy i'm rolling with Zeke, Morris, and Jackson.

I'm also dangling McF out as trade bait during TC as injuries occur. He had a valiant effort last season, but he hasn't been a good fit for a ZBS since Oakland. Coming off the season he had, you might be to get a pick for him and get a little cap relief in the process.

kazzd58

Reaction score
Latavius Murray 2.0...this kid is going to make it very hard for McFadden to make this team.

I hope so I actually like what he can bring just watch Zeke on blocks cuz our line will open the Lanes

I am curious about this one I am routing he does take McFadden spot hopefully to good to try to hide on P squad

fortdick

Reaction score
He probably hasn't executed a lead block since Pop Warner league. I'd say he's got much better odds making it as a RB than at FB.

I think we have plenty of RB's. What is Morris for if not a goal line runner? Imagine an old school FB that you can counter with and run a dive option.

fortdick

Reaction score
Don't see why they would cut him. He's cheap, can carry the ball 15-20 on a given gameday if needed in case of an injury and most importantly he's a good nickel RB.

I think Dunbar is the one who could be in trouble.

Jackson can force himself on the roster as a 4th RB by shining on Special Teams.

What is a nickel running back? I thought Zeke was a three down back.

fortdick

Reaction score
If we cut a vet I think it will be dmac. He is not as good behind zone blocking, he has been injury prone, he in the last year of a contract and saves money. Coming off a very solid year he could catch on with a team he has a shot at getting more carries on.

He ran for 1100 yards and caught another 328 in 12 starts last year. You don't cut that kind of production. I know people are gonna hate, but it is ridiculous to say he can't perform in this scheme.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
With the introduction of Darius Jackson to the Cowboys roster, it does appear one of our present incumbents may find himself the odd man out. There's been considerable talk of McFadden and Morris being a newly endangered species but what about adding Dunbar to that mix? Seems to me that he's just as vulnerable and perhaps even more so than the aforementioned two. It does seem fairly possible that change is in the offing.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Jackson also plays teams. Big in terms of a #3 HB

I hate this post...it has common sense, it's brief but concise...and adds value. However, it's WAY too short. I wanted more logic and good stuff..LOL...

Man...I needed some drama... :thumbup:

Gaede

Reaction score
That 3rd RB needs to play special teams. One of McFadden or Morris will be cut. We're not going to go 4 deep at RB, because we'll be going 3 deep at QB.

Smith is an underdog in this race. Played teams last year, has experience in our system, we just drafted his brother (I know the executives don't care about that, but Smith will)...I think McFadden will be cut and it'll come down to Smith vs. Jackson.

conner01

Reaction score
He ran for 1100 yards and caught another 328 in 12 starts last year. You don't cut that kind of production. I know people are gonna hate, but it is ridiculous to say he can't perform in this scheme.

We changed our blocking to fit him. It's not a knock on dmac, just a fact he is much better in a man blocking scheme. Just not practical to change your blocking scheme every time you change rb's. But we signed Morris who is a fit and drafted Zeke who is a fit so dmac would likely be 3rd on your depth chart and not sure he would even be active if Jackson is on special teams. Very expensive 3rd RB. I like dmac and think he is a solid RB but you do him a favor allowing him to go somewhere that he can fit the scheme and get playing time

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Dmac had over 1000 yds last year, but really only saw consistent play during the final 8 games. During that stretch, he carried the offense, even with no real passing threat. He had a great year.

Morris has had zero carries for us, and his production has gone down every year in the league....of course the skins mishandled him, but it is still something to consider. Why did his time and touches go down.....why was he leap frogged by other backs......

I am not saying morris is trash and dmac is treasure, but i take what i know over what i dont know if what i know has been productive for me. I find it hard to replace production with potential, when we are discussing veteran players. I am ok with rookie potential getting an opportunity.

Btw, i wonder if action jackson could play LB