Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Strange, flawed logic.

Purdy is playing with a very questionable arm/shoulder. They view Darnold as very important...why they traded to get him.
Purdy will be fine and start the season. Surely you’re not questioning a staff that’s been to last 2 NFC Championships?

CWR

Reaction score
That’s rubbish. You’re mad because he owned us, but dude could play football.

Owned us my a@$. My last memories of chunky soup besides him throwing up in the superbowl while TO performed on a broken leg was when we demolished Philly to win the division and then again the following week in the playoffs. That was after he walked out with his stooge wrs and slapped the Plexiglas like a fool. Good times.

It's cool though if you feel the need to show love to the Eagles. It's a character flaw for sure, but it's your character flaw. Way to own it, fanboy.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
What this tells you is that the Cowboys were never going to keep Will Grier. Lance will not jump Rush on the depth chart this season, if ever. But he has more upside than Rush if he develops. His ceiling is higher.

McClay wants a QB he can develop. The ones the Cowboys were interested in during the draft were taken before their picks in each round. Now McClay has a project.

If you recall, the news on Aaron Rodgers is that the Packers had to completely rebuild the mechanics of how he threw the ball. McClay did a pretty good job rebuilding his delivery in 2006 and 2007, and Rodgers’ turned into one of the top QB’s in the NFL.

McCarthy has done this before; maybe he can do it again. The Cowboys aren’t going to find another QB with the physical skills of Lance in the late 4th round next year. So if they were dead set on drafting a QB on day 3 next season, at least with Trey Lance they’ve got a player with more raw ability and talent than they would get next year.

No guarantee of success, but they took a 5th round flyer on Mike White a couple of years ago which didn’t work out. If Lance doesn’t work out, there isn’t much lost. But the acquisition of Lance does indicate that the Cowboys are keeping 3 QB’s on the roster. That is going to cost a roster spot for one or more of Malik Davis, Sean McKeon, Jalen Brooks or T.J. Bass.

25 offensive roster spots:
  • 3 QB spots - Dak, Rush, Lance
  • 3-4 RB’s - Pollard, Dowdle, Deuce, Davis
  • 3-4 TE’s - Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot, McKeon
  • 5-6 WR’s - Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Turpin, Brooks
  • 9-10 Olinemen - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Farniok, Ball, Waletzko, Bass
That is 27 players for 25 spots. Which two guys get cut? My guess is Davis and McKeon get cut, and the Cowboys keep Bass and Brooks.

coult44

Reaction score
What a complete waste of time and resources this is.

We love garbage quarterbacks.
Some of you should leave, or go get on the boat to nowhere, take . I want to say meaner stuff but don’t want your feelings to be hurt.

mardwin

Reaction score
This could hurt Daks feelings .

This is a move to hedge against Dak underperforming this year. I heard that his training camp is not looking so good, if things go sideways this season Dak won't be in Dallas next year's and Cooper Rush will be the starter until the next QB takes over.

The fact that Rush went 4-1 last year shows the team is good enough to win in the regular season without Dak.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes they can, but I wouldn't put it past them to have an understanding to re-do his current deal if needed.

I wouldn't do that. This is a fresh opportunity to have a QB on a rookie deal and traded a 4th to get him. I sense they will do no such thing. I sense they'll use him on his current contract. See what they reckon. And decide from there.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You never know. If it turns out he's a viable replacement for Dak, then they might use it.
They have to decide to pick it up after this season. Lance will be the third string QB this year, and then you give him 30m$ for a year? Dallas doesn’t have the money to pay a backup QB that much money.

It’s possible they sign him to a small extension, but to pay him nearly what Dak makes is way out of bounds

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree, he was cheap and available. I can't figure out why all the complaining about the team trying to get better. He might not be the move but the team is trying and are not satisfied with the same ole same ole.
These are the type of moves you love to see your GM making. I fully applaud the move. Jerry is finally making great trades and not getting pimped. Lance also fits the timeline well with Dak. Dak another 3 years is around that time where a young kid could challenge him. Lance will need at least that long to get up to par if he ever does.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Are you mental? Lance is a dual threat QB. So is Dak. Rush is a statue. Grier can’t play. It’s an upgrade. A big one.

Yes, and Lance is coming from a WCO-style offense. The styles shouldn't be terribly difficult from what he's accustomed to running.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is a move to hedge against Dak underperforming this year. I heard that his training camp is not looking so good, if things go sideways this season Dak won't be in Dallas next year's and Cooper Rush will be the starter until the next QB takes over.

The fact that Rush went 4-1 last year shows the team is good enough to win in the regular season without Dak.
The Defense carried the team during those wins. Go look at the team stats for those games.