Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Wow. I woke up in the twilight zone today! 56 pages too haha.

- Glad the team will be keeping 3 QB's. I've long said the team should have 3 on the roster, so this makes me happy

- Grier sucks so bad. Really awful. I'm glad the team finally recognized this. Shame on the forum members who didn't.

- 4th round pick. I've been saying for years the team should devote a mid-round pick to a developmental QB every few years. Nice to see them do this. If Lance doesn't work out, do it again in 2-3 years.

- I'm shocked. There was speculation about this trade. I never thought they would do it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think Fields could be a hell of a QB myself. I was impressed when we played Chicago that game.
Not gonna lie I was hoping the Cowboys drafted Fields after Horne and Surtain was drafted. You don’t ever want to end up in Washington situation when you pass over a Herbert.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
low risk, 23 year old former 3rd overall pick… what’s not to like?

If he doesn’t develop, so what? It’s like a lottery ticket
He's as much a risk as Dak was in 2016 as a 4th round pick. A guy you think you can develop, right?

He'll be the QB3 this year. He'll sit back and learn from Dak & Rush. He'll be given the chance to learn the system.

PURE SPECULATION: If he's competent enough, he could learn the offense well enough by the trade deadline and Dallas trades Cooper Rush to Tampa or Arizona or somewhere that needs a QB2/1(due to injury)

plasticman

Reaction score
It's ironic because a large portion of this board would agree on that quote by Jerry. Hindsight is convenient, but most posters see RB as easily replaceable.

Jerry basically said the same thing about Demarco and then down the road caved to Zeke and got lit up for doing so.
There is absolutely no way the Cowboys win Super Bowl 28 without Emmitt. They may see RB as easily replaceable today but the 1993 team started out 0-2 and only won their division due to a heroic effort by an injured Emmitt Smith in their last regular season game. Besides rushing for almost 1500 yards, despite missing 2 games, he was also the Cowboys 2nd leading receiver that season.

Jerry did say the same thing about DeMarco Murray and then promptly proved himself wrong as Joseph Randle flatlined as Murray's replacement. Most likely, Romo wouldn't have been such a target that season and might have remained healthy had Murray remained with the team. In either case, the team plummeted from a 12-4 season in 2014 to a 4-12 record in 2015.

CowboysFever1973

Reaction score
As each hour passes I feel more and more happy this trade. I think the future of Cowboys football is upon us yeehaw!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This was a great trade, 4th round for a former 1st round. Was he #3 overall?
Hilarious to see that some do not like this. You would think the anti Dak group would love it.
That is the same as saying the trade for whedon was also a good deal ~!
Just because a guy was a 1st or 2nd round pick doesnt make them good or worth trading for.

Jerry loves former 1st round picks, in his mind they have to be good or why were they round 1 picks??
evidently jerry doesnt understand about 1st rd busts

btcutter

Reaction score
He’s 23 years old LMAO
Maybe you have better memory than I do. But I don’t remember a high 1st round pick who never started for more than 5 games for it’s original team in first 2 years of their career EVER manage to salvage their careers and become a starting (doesn’t have to be upper echelon) QB for rest of their career.

can you name 1 or 2?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I'd be fine w/ that if TL could play. So far he's been horrific, and just got beat out by Sam Darnold. And that's after being tutored by known QB guru Shanahan.
I love Shanahan. But he's no QB whisperer. His system is QB less. It was really confusing why they made the move to trade so much to get TL. SF needed the cash and found a way out. TL was signed for the same reason. Dallas will need cash for Micah. Dak eats too much of it. TL may have seen the writing. A Shanahan QB has a real short shelf life. TL prob wanted out and practiced like it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe you have better memory than I do. But I don’t remember a high 1st round pick who never started for more than 5 games for it’s original team in first 2 years of their career EVER manage to salvage their careers and become a starting (doesn’t have to be upper echelon) QB for rest of their career.

can you name 1 or 2?
Cowboys alone have had more than one. They came from the Browns. But if I have learned anything in life, never say never. Change is inevitable nothings impossible.

btcutter

Reaction score
Cowboys alone have had more than one. They came from the Browns.
who? Bernie Cosar? Completely different situation. He was their starting QB for years and just came to Dallas to play back up to finish his career.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

can you name 1 or 2?
Gino Smith was a top 5 QB last year.