4th Quarter, 3 TD Lead, Meaningless Game

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, but why is Romo active then and not Sanchez?
In *this* particular game, Sanchez probably should've been active and I'd hazard a guess that he may be active next week, as well.

When it's all said and done, the argument isn't about Dak. It's about Romo/Sanchez. Romo IS a legit starting-caliber quarterback. Sanchez is on his 3rd-4th team, right? There's no question, Romo is the better QB between those two. If Dak were to go down in a meaningful game, who do you want as next man up? Romo or Sanchez? I know who I'd go with.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, it's important that if he's going to take up a roster spot, that he does the role that he's currently assigned. If he's the back-up QB, then he should have gone in when the game was out of reach. I don't know what other organization would keep their starting QB in the game to protect the back-up. If Romo can't perform back-up duties and be trusted to finish up a quarter of football, when for what reason is he taking up the spot? Keeping him in and letting him on the field only if Dak gets injured and he gets the starting role back is putting one player above the team. If we're not going to put Romo in during a blow-out for example or if he's too precious to be on the field during halftime in Philly if we take the lead, then Sanchez should be activated and Romo should be deactivated.
See my response below...
In *this* particular game, Sanchez probably should've been active and I'd hazard a guess that he may be active next week, as well.

When it's all said and done, the argument isn't about Dak. It's about Romo/Sanchez. Romo IS a legit starting-caliber quarterback. Sanchez is on his 3rd-4th team, right? There's no question, Romo is the better QB between those two. If Dak were to go down in a meaningful game, who do you want as next man up? Romo or Sanchez? I know who I'd go with.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
The job of the backup is to play when the starter is injured, not to be some kind of mop up guy... not even to necessarily protect the starter from being hurt. They have been consistent in saying that they feel like they have two quality starters at the position. If you feel that way, then why would you have anxiety about one of them getting hurt? You play to win.

Instead that isn't what you said. You said if Dak gets hurt the team gets better at the position. Go get bent.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't understand Jerry's comment, what does he mean that it was too risky to let Romo play because he might get hurt?

So its ok if Dak gets hurt?

And all we did was hand off, how would Romo get hurt handing off?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Instead that isn't what you said. You said if Dak gets hurt the team gets better at the position. Go get bent.
I'm confused by your low IQ drivel. I did say they get better. I don't see how that contradicts that the job of the backup is not to be a human bullet sponge for the starter. I don't see any contradiction. Back under the rock you go.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand Jerry's comment, what does he mean that it was too risky to let Romo play because he might get hurt?

So its ok if Dak gets hurt?

And all we did was hand off, how would Romo get hurt handing off?
No and this is just me reading the tea leaves. Sanchez should've been active tonight. Because basically, if Romo is gonna play, he needs to be with the #1s. Thinking about it logically, it's a fact that Romo has had injury issues with the starters and so you don't want to chance your 2nd best chance at continuing to win, if Dak goes down, in a meaningless game with 2s and 3s.

links18

Reaction score
The job of the backup is to play when the starter is injured, not to be some kind of mop up guy... not even to necessarily protect the starter from being hurt. They have been consistent in saying that they feel like they have two quality starters at the position. If you feel that way, then why would you have anxiety about one of them getting hurt? You play to win.

Jerry appears to be suggesting they have more anxiety about their "back -up" getting injured than they do their starter. And if Dak goes down late in a meaningless game they are winning by multiple TDs there is going to be hell to pay in the media. Much more than any controversy one might start by giving Romo a home field send off.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score

Totally agree. It's an odd circumstance that is mostly unforeseen in today's game, and as the Joneses have said, there isn't a blue print.

I do think we missed the mark tonight on how we handled it. Whether we had played Romo or made Sanchez active and put him in, either scenario, in my opinion, would have been wiser than playing Dak late.

We had a backup LT in there against an edge rusher, and had Dak throwing the ball from our own 2-yard line with a 21-point lead. In my opinion, that should have been anyone but Dak taking that pass.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Jerry appears to be suggesting they have more anxiety about their "back -up" getting injured than they do their starter. And if Dak goes down late in a meaningless game they are winning by multiple TDs there is going to be hell to pay in the media. Much more than any controversy one might start by giving Romo a home field send off.
Well, it's a tough call, they want Romo for if he gets hurt, but they want Sanchez for garbage time. Maybe next week they will just carry three quarterbacks to avoid the mess.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'm confused by your low IQ drivel. I did say they get better. I don't see how that contradicts that the job of the backup is not to be a human bullet sponge for the starter. I don't see any contradiction. Back under the rock you go.

How big was our lead against Cleveland when Sanchez went in? Was it 25 by then?

I think with the amount of time left in tonight's game, even if we weren't up 25, we had reached that threshold where it was time for the backup QB to come in nursing a 21-point lead in the waning minutes.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score

If Dak gets hurt, you instantly get better at the position, so no anxiety there. Let the kid play!

The low level IQ is in the drivel you are posting. Read your post again, and when you can figure out some day how to say what you mean, get back to us. Some day I hope you will understand the English language, in the mean time keep trolling. Or being illiterate.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt, you instantly get better at the position, so no anxiety there. Let the kid play!

The low level IQ is in the drivel you are posting. Read your post again, and when you can figure out some day how to say what you mean, get back to us. Some day I hope you will understand the English language, in the mean time keep trolling. Or being illiterate.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we plan on trading Romo....i'm not sure if I want him to take a snap and potentially get hurt. I'd rather trading partners not know what they are getting.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
No and this is just me reading the tea leaves. Sanchez should've been active tonight. Because basically, if Romo is gonna play, he needs to be with the #1s. Thinking about it logically, it's a fact that Romo has had injury issues with the starters and so you don't want to chance your 2nd best chance at continuing to win, if Dak goes down, in a meaningless game with 2s and 3s.

Thanks for the explanation, I still don't see how Romo would get hurt if Garrett told him to go in and just hand off to McFadden and don't do anything else.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally agree. It's an odd circumstance that is mostly unforeseen in today's game, and as the Joneses have said, there isn't a blue print.

I do think we missed the mark tonight on how we handled it. Whether we had played Romo or made Sanchez active and put him in, either scenario, in my opinion, would have been wiser than playing Dak late.

We had a backup LT in there against an edge rusher, and had Dak throwing the ball from our own 2-yard line with a 21-point lead. In my opinion, that should have been anyone but Dak taking that pass.
Thanks for the explanation, I still don't see how Romo would get hurt if Garrett told him to go in and just hand off to McFadden and don't do anything else.
Well, just my 2 nickels, but there was never any chance Romo was gonna play tonight, even just to hand off. This was Dak's game all the way through. Dak would've had to get hurt for Romo to play today. Mop up duty wasn't gonna cut it.

Next week may be a different story. *shrug*

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score

Nope no trolling at all with that statement.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
I've never had any problems with you before, perhaps you can explain what you mean in a better way about your statement "If Dak gets hurt, you instantly get better at the position, so no anxiety there. Let the kid play!" How am I misunderstanding that statement as nothing less than trolling?