Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
If we give up anything more than a 3rd round pick for AD then I feel that things have come full circle with the Herschel Walker trade. Not in terms of how many picks were given up but the mentality of the Cowboys would be exactly like Vikings back in the days. Each team convinced that they are ONE dominating RB away from SB.

Personally I don't like that mentality at all. Vikings team was completely destroyed when they didn't get to the championship game. Sure the draft picks killed them later but they couldn't recover from such a let down and expectations .

If AD were cut or less then a 3rd rounder I would consider bringing him on. Or else I rather keep building my TEAM through draft and smart acquisitions.

I see what your saying but if all they gave up was a 3rd for that chance then imo you go for it. Honestly I think he is going to get released....just wait until we get closer to training camp and all the protestors start to line up...the team didn't deal with that last year and they are not going to this year.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Maybe during his first contract year. I want this team to continue the youth movement outside of Romo and Witten.

I'd love to win right about next season so an Elite RB would be nice regardless of age

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
We shall see. I just know he has been injured as much as Murray has. Missed a whole season in college and the pros. And he is older. He would have to take a paycut but how much of one? He thinks he still has a lot left, especially being out all last season so that's one year less of worn tread on the tires. I would love to see what he can do behind this line. I think he has much more of a burst and power than Murray.

If you want to go all in for the next 2-3 years with Romo, then I can see that. But if you find a good heir to Romo, you don't need to do that and you can keep building for the future and keep winning in the present.

I trust in this front office somewhat now. And this regime would be able to find a replacement to Romo, something that took us really 6 years or so for Aikman and that kind of fell in our lap. We got lucky with Romo. That's a very unusual route to go to find your QB for the next decade.

Unless Vaughn is the guy they are grooming, I don't see much at QB, and Vaughn will need at least 2 more years imho..... Once Romo is gone, you can bet they draft a 1st or 2nd round QB..... I dont like the description "All-in", because that implies reckless desperate behavior... I like to use the word, Push. I would push for a SB in the next 2-3 years.
My plan would be to push for a SB in the next 2 years, knowing you will be transitioning to new QB soon, which will take a year or two to transition, and that's if were extremely lucky. Its so hard to find a QB. During that transition time, "clean up" any dead money and what-not from the "push"....Romo is gone, Witten is gone, AP is gone, Free is gone. a few others.

Well I am not the best in knowing all the ins and outs of contracts. But from my understanding, doesn't the Vikings get some sort of compensation if he goes to another team? Or is he free to just get out of the current contract and go wherever he pleases?

I just don't see the Vikings letting a guy like that walk for nothing. Unless they are so fed up with him that they just want him gone from their franchise and to release his salary.

I don't either. I think, some team will anty up, just to win the "sweepstakes".
This is all guess work, but I could see AZ or Miami working out for AP. AP will agree to the terms and the trade. AZ is a legitimate SB contender. Miami is throwing all kinds of money around, and they are making a push. Miami isn't too far away from a playoff run. tough little team.

My gut is one of those teams will give a 1st and 2nd, and some players they can afford to lose, and offer a huge contract, and that will be that, for the Dallas Cowboys.

I want AP. And I am not exactly sure where that line is, but its there. And we may have to just walk away. Wouldn't want to wager too much. All of this is just guessing...who the heck knows at this point? Now, I am hoping AP says no to all trades, except for the Cowboys. Then Minn will say no to Dallas and, get nothing; Or maybe the Boys anty up, and overpay. What would be too much, even if they won a SB, while Romo and Witten are playing?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'd love to win right about next season so an Elite RB would be nice regardless of age

I'll probably be in the minority everywhere, but I question whether he is still elite. Unpopular opinion, but I think he is poised for a meteoric fall.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'll probably be in the minority everywhere, but I question whether he is still elite. Unpopular opinion, but I think he is poised for a meteoric fall.

No, Sir. I agree that the years/wear requires a serious kicking of the tires. But at his asking price, definitely not worth the journey that would follow. If Ware wasn't worth it, then a very old running back isn't also. Hardy has to own up both on the field and off, but he is at market age.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

i'll share that popcorn.

where he does land, i suspect he won't be the same. we'll see.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well I am not the best in knowing all the ins and outs of contracts. But from my understanding, doesn't the Vikings get some sort of compensation if he goes to another team? Or is he free to just get out of the current contract and go wherever he pleases?

I just don't see the Vikings letting a guy like that walk for nothing. Unless they are so fed up with him that they just want him gone from their franchise and to release his salary.

It's my understanding that the Vikings only recourse if they do not want to pay Peterson $13 million for doing nothing is to cut him. The only team I'm aware of him contacting to say he wants to be a part of is the Cowboys. He's made his money, now he wants the trophy.

btcutter

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the Vikings only recourse if they do not want to pay Peterson $13 million for doing nothing is to cut him. The only team I'm aware of him contacting to say he wants to be a part of is the Cowboys. He's made his money, now he wants the trophy.

He may want a trophy but he's going to want to get paid as well. In NFL player's world their status is reinforced by the contract they sign. He's not going to sign a 2nd tier contract to have a chance to win a SB.

btcutter

Reaction score
I see what your saying but if all they gave up was a 3rd for that chance then imo you go for it. Honestly I think he is going to get released....just wait until we get closer to training camp and all the protestors start to line up...the team didn't deal with that last year and they are not going to this year.[/quo

Im willing to gamble a 3rd round pick but no more than that. But that also is highly dependent on what type of contract AP is demanding.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
No ONE is going to give away picks for AP that would be stupid.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Vikings are digging in.............................

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-not-minnesota-vikings-plans-mike-zimmer-says

Zimmer thinks he will want to be a Viking.....wishful thinking maybe?

We don't know what anyone is willing to offer AP.

From the article...
"Recent speculation has linked the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals as teams that might have interest in trading for Peterson. Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was asked about Peterson on Wednesday and quickly changed the subject."

"You trying to get me fired? That's tampering, dude," he said. "I can't talk about another player. I ain't saying jack about Adrian Peterson. I'd get fined for that."

burmafrd

Reaction score

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-not-minnesota-vikings-plans-mike-zimmer-says

From the article...
"Recent speculation has linked the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals as teams that might have interest in trading for Peterson. Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was asked about Peterson on Wednesday and quickly changed the subject."

"You trying to get me fired? That's tampering, dude," he said. "I can't talk about another player. I ain't saying jack about Adrian Peterson. I'd get fined for that."

the whole tampering BS is so funny. Like expecting lawyers to tell the whole truth.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From the article...

Way to honor your word Coach! Zimmer previously said that if Peterson wanted out, they wouldn't force him to come back. Way to now take the company line and lie about what you said.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He may want a trophy but he's going to want to get paid as well. In NFL player's world their status is reinforced by the contract they sign. He's not going to sign a 2nd tier contract to have a chance to win a SB.

Not true in all cases. Peterson reached out to Jerry because he wants a trophy not because he wants to get paid.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Way to honor your word Coach! Zimmer previously said that if Peterson wanted out, they wouldn't force him to come back. Way to now take the company line and lie about what you said.

Zimmer never said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.