Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I was on the fence the whole time about AP and i was always wishing we just draft a RB in round one but now I am thinking if we get AP, resign McClain and draft some pass rushers and a DB who could help on the back end then I honestly think we would be going all in on a very good Super Bowl run and that would be very exciting. Tony and Witten aren't getting any younger and we don't have Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings.

Another member has joined the club!! Welcome!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the signing of Hardy, I now think we probably will go with a RB in round one.

I think it all depends on who's there.

If Gurley's there, sure I can see it. But if he's already gone, I can't.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Ya know, you can acquire AD and draft a RB, right? It doesn't have to be either or.

Is anybody going to miss Joseph Randle? Lance Dunbar? How about that 3.3er from Oakland?

Too many people leave that possibility out. With the addition of Hardy we already have set up our board nicely for BPA. If we get AP that wouldn't change that strategy.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Despite DR reports, I don't see any team drafting Gurley in round 1 without seeing him workout or run prior to the draft. We all know players come back, but a first rounder for a player that you aren't certain is ready to start the season? Especially a RB? I don't see that happening.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys want Adrian Peterson if the price is right....more speculation....I can't wait until we are allowed to post again in the fan zone about the newest member of the greatest franchise in the NFL....it's going to happen.

http://national.suntimes.com/nfl/7/72/845351/cowboys-want-adrian-peterson

I really hope it does. Its been said/typed before but imagine...

If AP comes in all fired up and is the AP we think he can be?

What a nightmare for DCoordinators......

That would to be fun to watch.

And, we still draft a 3-5th round RB....

burmafrd

Reaction score
Despite DR reports, I don't see any team drafting Gurley in round 1 without seeing him workout or run prior to the draft. We all know players come back, but a first rounder for a player that you aren't certain is ready to start the season? Especially a RB? I don't see that happening.

been done before with McGahee. And he had a pretty respectable career.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Willis McGahee says hello.

Edit: And as Burm said he had a pretty good career. 8,474 yards rushing isn't too bad...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGaWi00.htm

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I really hope it does. Its been said/typed before but imagine...

If AP comes in all fired up and is the AP we think he can be?

What a nightmare for DCoordinators......

That would to be fun to watch.

And, we still draft a 3-5th round RB....

I hear ya man I am pumped with the possibility when it happens it will be extremly difficult to wait until September. It's just a matter of time!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not in the eye of the beholder. Hardy was not under the control of any team and all we had to do was draw up a team friendly contract. Even if Peterson does not want to stay in Minnesota, he's still under their control. Meaning to get him, we have to make some sort of trade. We are going to have to give up draft picks and pay a position the kind of money it seems they did not want to to do. To a guy 3 years older than Murray who also had serious injuries.

Does not make any sense. I'm not saying Peterson being here would not be good for this offense but it would not fit the blueprint they are working from this offseason.

It seems the sticking point of this issue for you is getting Peterson away from Minnesota. You seem to be suggesting if the Cowboys take an active role in making that happen, it may involve to many resources and in the end not be a great fit. I think the Cowboys don't need to take an active role in getting Peterson away from Minnesota. That situation will resolve itself if Peterson sticks to his current position of not willing to return to that team. All the Cowboys have to do is be patient and ready to take him in once he's regained his freedom to join the team of his choosing. Once he gets here I don't foresee him not fitting.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Willis McGahee says hello.

Edit: And as Burm said he had a pretty good career. 8,474 yards rushing isn't too bad...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGaWi00.htm

I stand by my opinion....McGahee was a good back, but is anyone looking at his career, his numbers, his wins, and saying, "that was a first round draft pick well spent."

Also, this is a very deep draft for RBs and RB is much less valued now than then. If Gurley starts to run and work out and cut before the draft, fine.
But I would see it as a little risky and in poor judgement for Dallas to use their first round pick on Gurley if they aren't positive the rookie will be fully involved in the off season and training camp, especially when they can get a perfectly healthy RB in rounds 2-3-4. That's the main reason I don't see Gurley going in round 1 unless it's to someone at 31-32 where it's essentially a 2nd round pick, but even there, why not take a healthy RB? The dropoff isn't supposed to be huge. It's not like taking Julius Jones instead of Stephen Jackson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I stand by my opinion....McGahee was a good back, but is anyone looking at his career, his numbers, his wins, and saying, "that was a first round draft pick well spent."

Also, this is a very deep draft for RBs and RB is much less valued now than then. If Gurley starts to run and work out and cut before the draft, fine.
But I would see it as a little risky and in poor judgement for Dallas to use their first round pick on Gurley if they aren't positive the rookie will be fully involved in the off season and training camp, especially when they can get a perfectly healthy RB in rounds 2-3-4. That's the main reason I don't see Gurley going in round 1 unless it's to someone at 31-32 where it's essentially a 2nd round pick, but even there, why not take a healthy RB? The dropoff isn't supposed to be huge. It's not like taking Julius Jones instead of Stephen Jackson.

I'll respectfully disagree. Based on my own review, I think that Gurley is by far the best running back in this draft.

For me, it's him...

... and then everyone else.

btcutter

Reaction score
Another member has joined the club!! Welcome!!

If we give up anything more than a 3rd round pick for AD then I feel that things have come full circle with the Herschel Walker trade. Not in terms of how many picks were given up but the mentality of the Cowboys would be exactly like Vikings back in the days. Each team convinced that they are ONE dominating RB away from SB.

Personally I don't like that mentality at all. Vikings team was completely destroyed when they didn't get to the championship game. Sure the draft picks killed them later but they couldn't recover from such a let down and expectations .

If AD were cut or less then a 3rd rounder I would consider bringing him on. Or else I rather keep building my TEAM through draft and smart acquisitions.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I agree, its doesn't fit what seems to be their blueprint.

Maybe the make an exception for the most dominating RB of our time?

Maybe they got caught off by how much RBs are getting paid?

Maybe this has been their plan all along, freeing up money and limiting FAs acquisitions in order to bring in Adrian Peterson...

Or maybe they have no real intention of making an offer, and are perfectly okaywith what they have....plus a rookie.

We shall see. I just know he has been injured as much as Murray has. Missed a whole season in college and the pros. And he is older. He would have to take a paycut but how much of one? He thinks he still has a lot left, especially being out all last season so that's one year less of worn tread on the tires. I would love to see what he can do behind this line. I think he has much more of a burst and power than Murray.
If you want to go all in for the next 2-3 years with Romo, then I can see that. But if you find a good heir to Romo, you don't need to do that and you can keep building for the future and keep winning in the present.

I trust in this front office somewhat now. And this regime would be able to find a replacement to Romo, something that took us really 6 years or so for Aikman and that kind of fell in our lap. We got lucky with Romo. That's a very unusual route to go to find your QB for the next decade.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It seems the sticking point of this issue for you is getting Peterson away from Minnesota. You seem to be suggesting if the Cowboys take an active role in making that happen, it may involve to many resources and in the end not be a great fit. I think the Cowboys don't need to take an active role in getting Peterson away from Minnesota. That situation will resolve itself if Peterson sticks to his current position of not willing to return to that team. All the Cowboys have to do is be patient and ready to take him in once he's regained his freedom to join the team of his choosing. Once he gets here I don't foresee him not fitting.

Well I am not the best in knowing all the ins and outs of contracts. But from my understanding, doesn't the Vikings get some sort of compensation if he goes to another team? Or is he free to just get out of the current contract and go wherever he pleases?

I just don't see the Vikings letting a guy like that walk for nothing. Unless they are so fed up with him that they just want him gone from their franchise and to release his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.