Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

esloan

Reaction score
Did you just read what I posted? That number is AS OF TODAY. It's plenty enough to fit in AD, the rookie class (~3-4 mil.), more players etc.

I understand it is as of today. The rookie class goes 3-4 million, like you said. Hardy will cost almost a million per game he plays and they have to have that money as it comes due. They have to have that money available to pay for Hardy.

RW31

Reaction score
I understand it is as of today. The rookie class goes 3-4 million, like you said. Hardy will cost almost a million per game he plays and they have to have that money as it comes due. They have to have that money available to pay for Hardy.
His salary is at 900k for this year which is already included in the number I gave you. That's what matters with the salary cap. His bonuses have nothing to do with the salary cap. He's got ingame bonuses for 500k per game, and other bonuses (sacks, workout).

esloan

Reaction score
His salary is at 900k for this year which is already included in the number I gave you. That's what matters with the salary cap. His bonuses have nothing to do with the salary cap. He's got ingame bonuses for 500k per game, and other bonuses (sacks, workout).

I understand that. They have to have the money available under the cap as he hits those bonuses. What about that are you not understanding? He plays the first game and they have to have the money available under the cap to pay for it. He plays the second game and they have to have the money available under the cap. Same for his third game and fourth and on and on and on. They can't just spend this money now on AP and then not free up more money for Hardy later. The money has to be there.

RW31

Reaction score
I understand that. They have to have the money available under the cap as he hits those bonuses. What about that are you not understanding? He plays the first game and they have to have the money available under the cap to pay for it. He plays the second game and they have to have the money available under the cap. Same for his third game and fourth and on and on and on. They can't just spend this money now on AP and then not free up more money for Hardy later. The money has to be there.
Ugh...since when does a bonus count against the salary cap?

And once again, AD would have his salary slashed regardless. I'm not sure why you keep thinking he's gonna make 13 mil. here this year if we do trade for him. Or play out his contract for that matter. That number will be slashed in half (or more). I don't care if you want him here or not, just stop making things up. It's been reported already all over the news that financially it's not an issue, we can afford him.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Always seen ALL DAY as a one man wrecking crew. Vikings never really had a QB, TE or a WR to help Peterson.

You can't help but wonder what Adrian would be like on this Squad. Those wonders are pretty magical.

He had a great team around him in 2009 and had a 1,300 yard rushing season, his greatest category was the 18 TDs.

You can replicate what he did in the rushing, nearly every big time RB in the league today gets 1,200-1,300 yards. I'll take my chances on a young stud RB in the draft.

esloan

Reaction score

And once again, AD would have his salary slashed regardless. I'm not sure why you keep thinking he's gonna make 13 mil. here this year if we do trade for him. Or play out his contract for that matter. That number will be slashed in half (or more). I don't care if you want him here or not, just stop making things up. It's been reported already all over the news that financially it's not an issue, we can afford him.

Uh, bonuses have always counted against the cap. If they didn't, teams would just pay in bonus as the majority of pay. For this contract, each week he plays is s new hit on the cap. It's not spread out over multiple seasons like a signing bonus. That is why they have to keep money in reserve.

Regardless of whether Peterson makes 13 million or 6 million, the Cowboys will have to free up more money if they want him. I'm not saying there is no way they can afford him, I'm saying they would have to do other things to free up money to do so.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
Yeah. Agreed. Because he decided to fumble with 70 yards of open space in front of him. Lol

I couldn't have said it better myself. All he had to do was hold onto the ball and we'd have been in the NFC Championship and likely be looking at ring #6. Had he just held onto the ball we'd never have to have worried about the bogus incomplete pass. That fumble completely changed the momentum and snatched a loss from what should have been a decisive victory.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better myself. All he had to do was hold onto the ball and we'd have been in the NFC Championship and likely be looking at ring #6. Had he just held onto the ball we'd never have to have worried about the bogus incomplete pass. That fumble completely changed the momentum and snatched a loss from what should have been a decisive victory.

As well as Seattle was playing at the end of the season it would have been incredibly hard to beat them twice in their stadium. So not likely we would have made the SB; and once there Brady would have had a field day against our D.
SO NO this team was not going to win the SB this year.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Our actual expenses as regards our Rookie Cap will be more likely 2 to 2.5 million as it usually is. We are not drafting high in the first.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Dallas has 14.2m in cap space right now

Dallas has to pay Hardy 580k per game. They need another 8m in cap space if he plays every game.
They need 3-4m for McClain. His contract details haven't been released yet.
They need 2m for the draft and another 2m for incidentals.

That leaves almost no room for new contracts.
They could get another 10-20m depending on how they proceed with Carr, Dunbar, CJones, Dez and others.

RW31

Reaction score
Dallas has 14.2m in cap space right now

Dallas has to pay Hardy 580k per game. They need another 8m in cap space if he plays every game.
They need 3-4m for McClain. His contract details haven't been released yet.
They need 2m for the draft and another 2m for incidentals.

That leaves almost no room for new contracts.
They could get another 10-20m depending on how they proceed with Carr, Dunbar, CJones, Dez and others.
I don't know where you got that number from, I don't know what all that is based on, and how you know who is included in that number and who isn't.

The number I gave you is from TODAY. From the NFLPA. So it's an official number, as of today. It's not some blogger who came up with his own calculations or whatever. And I already said that McClain is included in that, so is Hardy. The rookie pool is going to cost us about 4 mil. by the way, not 2. I doubt you looked into this enough to really have an opinion on this. Please find me ONE reliable beat writer, blogger, whatever, who said we can't afford to bring in AP. Doesn't exist. In fact, all the reports from various beat writers / journalists / insiders say the exact opposite. Getting AP is not a money issue whatsoever. That's a fact. We can afford him. Now whether JJ is willing to give up a high pick for AP on top of what we're gonna have to pay him is a different issue. But that has nothing to do with the fact that we can fit him under the cap. Especially if we restructure his contract which is going to happen regardless if he gets traded.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't know where you got that number from, I don't know what all that is based on, and how you know who is included in that number and who isn't.

The number I gave you is from TODAY. From the NFLPA. So it's an official number, as of today. It's not some blogger who came up with his own calculations or whatever. And I already said that McClain is included in that, so is Hardy. The rookie pool is going to cost us about 4 mil. by the way, not 2. I doubt you looked into this enough to really have an opinion on this. Please find me ONE reliable beat writer, blogger, whatever, who said we can't afford to bring in AP. Doesn't exist. In fact, all the reports from various beat writers / journalists / insiders say the exact opposite. Getting AP is not a money issue whatsoever. That's a fact. We can afford him. Now whether JJ is willing to give up a high pick for AP on top of what we're gonna have to pay him is a different issue. But that has nothing to do with the fact that we can fit him under the cap. Especially if we restructure his contract which is going to happen regardless if he gets traded.

I've looked into this plenty and have many posts explaining in detail my assertions. No need for the attitude.

Hardy counts 3.2m right now and another 8m if he plays all 16 games. That has to be accounted weekly as he earns it.

I haven't seen any official numbers for McClain so I left him out for now. If you have something official please share.

The draft picks will be a net cost of around 2m because for everyone they sign, a player worth 400k drops off the list.

If they want Peterson at 8-12m they need to create a lot more space. They are up against the cap right now.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I honestly do not care about the upside of running back and what he can do for us 4-5 years down the line knowing that we're most likely not going to give him a second contract. The window is 2-3 years so I want the best player for those 2-3 years. That's AP.

Exactly, I have no idea why this concept is so hard for people to understand.

Romo has 2-3 years and once he hangs the cleats up, we are going to suck. We went through 17 different starting QBs between Aikman and Romo so don't anybody tell me you can just draft a guy and plug him in and we will be good to go. It takes time to find a franchise QB, just go ask Buffalo, Cleveland, the Titans, ect....Unless you intentionally tank a season like the Colts, you don't go from Manning to Luck and never miss a beat. And just drafting a guy in the first round guarantees you jack, just go ask the Titans who have spent multiple first round picks trying to find a franchise QB since the days of Steve McNair.............it aint easy folks, franchise QBs do not grow on trees and even if you draft a guy in the top 5 it is still like rolling the dice.

So with this being said, the best way to win a Championship is to maximize the talent on the team while we still have Romo. So which route is better over the next 2-3 seasons, having arguably the best RB in NFL history or a rookie? And is that rookie going to be a stud or is he going to be Trent Richardson 2.0? There is no guarantee that the rookie we draft is going to be the second coming ether, I know what I got in AP even if he aint the AP of 5 years ago, I still got a pretty good idea what he can do and that teams will still respect him on defense. A rookie that has never taken a snap in the NFL is an unknown commodity. Sure he can run through wide open lanes, but can he get me the "dirty yards" Garrett talks about when the blocking breaks down and you get 2 or 3 yards own your own by just bowling people over. How is the rookie in pass protection, blitz pick up, diagnosing plays, catching the ball out of the backfield, working in space, ect......

I know AP can do all of these thing, I have no idea if a rookie that has never played 1 down in the NFL can do it.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
He had a great team around him in 2009 and had a 1,300 yard rushing season, his greatest category was the 18 TDs.

You can replicate what he did in the rushing, nearly every big time RB in the league today gets 1,200-1,300 yards. I'll take my chances on a young stud RB in the draft.

right. because AP is just another RB. Look , he only put up 1300 in 2009. RBs are all the same.

And who wouldn't want an unproven rookie RB from the draft, instead of a once in a generation RB, when were making plans for a Super Bowl run? We are making plans for a SB run, right?

I know he is 30. But Minny isn't exactly kicking him out the door, even with that contract and money they will be paying him......

AP is in shape. AP is still the best RB in football, and will be for another year, probably two.

RW31

Reaction score
I've looked into this plenty and have many posts explaining in detail my assertions. No need for the attitude.

Hardy counts 3.2m right now and another 8m if he plays all 16 games. That has to be accounted weekly as he earns it.

I haven't seen any official numbers for McClain so I left him out for now. If you have something official please share.

The draft picks will be a net cost of around 2m because for everyone they sign, a player worth 400k drops off the list.

If they want Peterson at 8-12m they need to create a lot more space. They are up against the cap right now.

Again, where do you got that number from? The 14 mil? And again, can you please show me one reliable insider or beat writer who agrees with you that there is no money left? I doubt you'll find one considering they've been reporting the exact opposite.

Like I said, the number I gave you is official, as of today. 12.6 mil. with 72 players under contract.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
As well as Seattle was playing at the end of the season it would have been incredibly hard to beat them twice in their stadium. So not likely we would have made the SB; and once there Brady would have had a field day against our D.
SO NO this team was not going to win the SB this year.

I disagree. GB had Seattle beat. All they had to do is secure an onsides kick...
Seattle had NE beat, all they had to do is run Lynch....

We were just as good if not better then GB, Seattle and NE. We trumped Indy in the regular season pretty good....

Doesnt mean we wouldve beat Seattle, but we were just as good as them, as well as NE too...NE was beat, but Seattle got cute and tried to make Russell Wilson a Legend instead of giving the ball to ...Lynch.

JBS

Reaction score
Just bc all of these other teams were "beat" by other teams means absolutely nothing

Lions also had dallas "beat"

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Just bc all of these other teams were "beat" by other teams means absolutely nothing

Lions also had dallas "beat"

true enough. But the Cowboys imho were just as good as Seattle and NE. It wasn't like there was a clear line of who the better team was, like in years prior...

JBS

Reaction score
true enough. But the Cowboys imho were just as good as Seattle and NE. It wasn't like there was a clear line of who the better team was, like in years prior...

I'm not arguing either side...I'll be honest...I was pretty confident going into Seattle if we got by GB...just saying that all those other gms don't mean anything in regards to Dallas' chances

Status
Not open for further replies.