Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score
Again, where do you got that number from? The 14 mil? And again, can you please show me one reliable insider or beat writer who agrees with you that there is no money left? I doubt you'll find one considering they've been reporting the exact opposite.

Like I said, the number I gave you is official, as of today. 12.6 mil. with 72 players under contract.

You are correct, as of now Dallas has around that much cap space.

Dallas has to have money open for McClain's contract, maybe you added that in, if you did you should specify. Dallas also needs 2-3 million to sign their draft picks. Dallas also needs money alvailable to pay Hardy per game as he earns the incentives for a total around 8 million, if the money is not their then the Cowboys would be in a world of trouble.

The FO restructured Romo's contract for the max, that doesn't mean they have to use it all, but with the expenses lined up it looks like most of it might be used. The reporters are conveniently leaving this information out for clicks and views.

Dallas could, hypothetically, get money for Peterson, but they would have to restructure other contracts, sign Dez, and/or cut Carr if he doesn't take a pay cut.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
right. because AP is just another RB. Look , he only put up 1300 in 2009. RBs are all the same.

And who wouldn't want an unproven rookie RB from the draft, instead of a once in a generation RB, when were making plans for a Super Bowl run? We are making plans for a SB run, right?

I know he is 30. But Minny isn't exactly kicking him out the door, even with that contract and money they will be paying him......

AP is in shape. AP is still the best RB in football, and will be for another year, probably two.

Show me where AP is the best RB in football right, show me the evidence of this.

I see a guy in Pittsburgh who just had 1,300 yards with 290 carries, over 80 receptions for nearly 900 yards. Marshawn Lynch is making highlight film runs, more often than AP, and getting 1,300 yards rushing with under 300 carries and double digit TDs. Jamaal Charles had a down year, but he's capable of getting over 1,300 yards rushing with high amount of receptions and yards. Arian Foster, in 13 games, got over 1,200 yards and 5 TD receptions. Even RBs like Eddie Lacey and Forsett had big years. Let's not forget that apparently scrub RB that we had that got over 1,800 yards rushing and big receiving totals.

AP, the guy in his 3rd year after ACL surgery, whose last full season wasn't even close to his 2012 season, is the best RB in football? Show me the evidence, I want to see it.

I continue to hear this over and over and over again. You guys are thinking of a mythical Peterson, the numbers don't match the reputation here.

And how do you think "Once in a generation" players get here in football? By the freakin' draft! You get nowhere if you fear taking risks. Drafting is ALWAYS a risk, but I'll take a risk on a young, potentially great RB that will give us identical numbers as Peterson on a smaller contract any day. With the mentality that some of you have, we might as well just forget the draft and just go after every "Once in a generation": or even just good/great players through trades because of the risk.

Last edited:

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Show me where AP is the best RB in football right, show me the evidence of this.

I see a guy in Pittsburgh who just had 1,300 yards with 290 carries, over 80 receptions for nearly 900 yards. Marshawn Lynch is making highlight film runs, more often than AP, and getting 1,300 yards rushing with under 300 carries and double digit TDs. Jamaal Charles had a down year, but he's capable of getting over 1,300 yards rushing with high amount of receptions and yards. Arian Foster, in 13 games, got over 1,200 yards and 5 TD receptions. Even RBs like Eddie Lacey and Forsett had big years. Let's not forget that apparently scrub RB that we had that got over 1,800 yards rushing and big receiving totals.

AP, the guy in his 3rd year after ACL surgery, whose last full season wasn't even close to his 2012 season, is the best RB in football? Show me the evidence, I want to see it.

I continue to hear this over and over and over again. You guys are thinking of a mythical Peterson, the numbers don't match the reputation here.

And how do you think "Once in a generation" players get here in football? By the freakin' draft! You get nowhere if you fear taking risks. Drafting is ALWAYS a risk, but I'll take a risk on a young, potentially great RB that will give us identical numbers as Peterson on a smaller contract any day. With the mentality that some of you have, we might as well just forget the draft and just go after every "Once in a generation": or even just good/great players through trades because of the risk.

You do realize your the only person who feels this way?

The reason the others dont want AP is because of Money and high draft picks... No one thinks an unproven RB from the draft is better then AP. --- No one.

And, do you think we going to get a chance and pick up a once in a generation type RB in this years draft?

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You do realize your the only person who feels this way?

The reason the others dont want AP is because of Money and high draft picks... No one thinks an unproven RB from the draft is better then AP. --- No one.

Who ever said an RB in the draft is better than ANY RB in football right now? They are unproven, every player coming out of the draft is. It's about potential, that's kinda what the draft is about. There are at least 6 RBs in this draft with a lot of potential.

And honestly, I don't care about the amount of people who consider him the best RB in football right now. I want something to back that up. Right now, he's a year removed from football and his last full year was good but not "Best back in football" numbers. I'd say Peterson is one of the best pure runners is football, but he lacks elsewhere in his game that other RBs completely beat him in.

And I have to ask, what do you expect Peterson to do if he came here? What's your prediction his rushing totals?

Crad|e

Reaction score
AP is a "once a generation" rb. Hes a nightmare to tackle.. has speed, hands, and good blocker. A year or two ago he had over 2000 yards, imagine him behind our oline. Realistically I would say he could duplicate that number and take us deep into playoffs maybe superbowl.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Who ever said an RB in the draft is better than ANY RB in football right now? They are unproven, every player coming out of the draft is. It's about potential, that's kinda what the draft is about. There are at least 6 RBs in this draft with a lot of potential.

And honestly, I don't care about the amount of people who consider him the best RB in football right now. I want something to back that up. Right now, he's a year removed from football and his last full year was good but not "Best back in football" numbers. I'd say Peterson is one of the best pure runners is football, but he lacks elsewhere in his game that other RBs completely beat him in.

And I have to ask, what do you expect Peterson to do if he came here? What's your prediction his rushing totals?

Depending on how much of a break they give him before the December/January push for a SB.
1400-2000 yards... I wouldn't be surprised at all if he breaks 2k.

The Vikings are holding on pretty tight, to a supposedly over the hill RB.

If you ask the people who get paid to make these decisions. I am pretty sure AP is up there on their "best in the game right now" list.....but....thats only if you believe all that mumbo jumbo coming out of every scouts and GMs and coaches and players mouth since AP entered the league....You know, those bozos...

esloan

Reaction score
I think AP would have a good year here. Probably anywhere between 1300-1800 yards. I don't think he would have 2000+ simply because I believe Garrett's intention is for the RB position to be more of a committee this year, with McFadden, Randle or Williams getting a fairly significant number of carries.

I don't want AP here for a couple of reasons, however. First, I don't want the Cowboys to have to give up big money and a draft pick. If they can get him here without giving up the draft pick, I wouldn't mind. Secondly, I do worry about how a year lay off for a 30 year old back would impact his ability. He may be the same old AP but there is a chance, however minute it might be, that he is not in football shape and will not be the same AP we have seen in the past. A year older and a year out of football scares me a little bit.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Depending on how much of a break they give him before the December/January push for a SB.

The Vikings are holding on pretty tight, to a supposedly over the hill RB.

If you ask the people who get paid to make these decisions. I am pretty sure AP is up there on their "best in the game right now" list.....but....thats only if you believe all that mumbo jumbo coming out of every scouts and GMs and coaches and players mouth since AP entered the league....You know, those bozos...

Then your expectations are going to be hard met if you expect him to have anywhere near 2,000 yards. The greatest RBs of all time only reach or sniff that once in their career, AP doing it TWICE? I'll go by history and suggest he won't even come close and meet the league average that great RBs give us, 1,300 yards and double digit TDs. 1,400 yards is fine, but worth giving a player a 2 year, $24 million contract for? I don't believe so.

And the Vikings are holding onto Peterson tightly because they are hoping to get good draft picks out of him. The AP offers (If any) will come after the draft, no team is going to screw up their draft boards for Peterson this year, the Vikings would get picks in 2016.

And after seeing the Top 100 players on NFL Network, I don't care what half the players in the league have to say about another player. And I never said Peterson was NEVER the best RB in the football, I'm doubting he is right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As well as Seattle was playing at the end of the season it would have been incredibly hard to beat them twice in their stadium. So not likely we would have made the SB; and once there Brady would have had a field day against our D.
SO NO this team was not going to win the SB this year.

I think that this team would have CRUSHED the Seattle team that barely managed to show up for the NFC Championship Game.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Then your expectations are going to be hard met if you expect him to have anywhere near 2,000 yards. The greatest RBs of all time only reach or sniff that once in their career, AP doing it TWICE? I'll go by history and suggest he won't even come close and meet the league average that great RBs give us, 1,300 yards and double digit TDs. 1,400 yards is fine, but worth giving a player a 2 year, $24 million contract for? I don't believe so.

And the Vikings are holding onto Peterson tightly because they are hoping to get good draft picks out of him. The AP offers (If any) will come after the draft, no team is going to screw up their draft boards for Peterson this year, the Vikings would get picks in 2016.

The only reason who wouldn't approach 2k is because of workload...which would be the prudent thing to do. However, if they unleash AP and give him the rock 360 times, then 2k would be the mark. I do believe thats what AP would do behind this OLine.

Also, you are right about Minny wanting draft choices, but dont kid yourself, Zimmer wants to see AP on his team. Minny wants AP playing on their team, and will be paying him a boatload to do so next year. And yes, its worth the money to try and give this team the best chance possible to win a SB in the next two years.... Its worth every penny.

But hey, lets roll with an unproven rookie RB. And DMF. If Romo goes down we have DMF, rookie RB and Weeden in the backfield. On a year we are driving towards a Super Bowl....??

Yeah, That makes a whole lot of sense...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The only reason who wouldn't approach 2k is because of workload...which would be the prudent thing to do. However, if they unleash AP and give him the rock 360 times, then 2k would be the mark. I do believe thats what AP would do behind this OLine.

Also, you are right about Minny wanting draft choices, but dont kid yourself, Zimmer wants to see AP on his team. Minny wants AP playing on their team, and will be paying him a boatload to do so next year. And yes, its worth the money to try and give this team the best chance possible to win a SB in the next two years.... Its worth every penny.

But hey, lets roll with an unproven rookie RB. And DMF. If Romo goes down we have DMF, rookie RB and Weeden in the backfield. On a year we are driving towards a Super Bowl....??

Yeah, That makes a whole lot of sense...

First off, if Romo goes down, our chances of winning the Super Bowl is over; even with AP in the backfield. How many Super Bowls has the almighty Peterson won the Vikings?

And you can go ahead and think AP will reach 2,000 if given enough carries, this is why we are disagreeing. I like to go by history, and there have been multiple HOF RBs throughout history, during the days of the running league, that only reached 2,000 yards once or never reached it at all. But if that's your expectations, that's your expectations.

And once again, the draft is always a risk; an "unproven rookie" could come into the league and light it up. For the last time, it's about potential. Gordon and Coleman are two RBs we are targeting that have the potential to be beast RBs and they'd come with small contracts for 4 years. I mean, why not? The majority of the people here think the offensive line is the main reason for Murray's 1,800 yard season, so just plug and play, right?

joseephuss

Reaction score

Running backs who breach the 2000 yard barrier don't get rest breaks.

That is quite a range you have for him. The way people talk about Peterson and his potential behind this line I would think anything short of 1700 yards would be a disappointment. Gaining just 1400 yards would be a major let down.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
First off, if Romo goes down, our chances of winning the Super Bowl is over; even with AP in the backfield. How many Super Bowls has the almighty Peterson won the Vikings?

And you can go ahead and think AP will reach 2,000 if given enough carries, this is why we are disagreeing. I like to go by history, and there have been multiple HOF RBs throughout history, during the days of the running league, that only reached 2,000 yards once or never reached it at all. But if that's your expectations, that's your expectations.

And once again, the draft is always a risk; an "unproven rookie" could come into the league and light it up. For the last time, it's about potential. Gordon and Coleman are two RBs we are targeting that have the potential to be beast RBs and they'd come with small contracts for 4 years. I mean, why not? The majority of the people here think the offensive line is the main reason for Murray's 1,800 yard season, so just plug and play, right?

I was thinking if Romo went down for a few games during the season. If Romo goes out for the season , yeah were done. A big reason why you wouldn't want to be counting on a rookie to pick up all the blitz packages....... Ohhh thats why we have DMF? How predictable will that become?

But a bellcow like AP, could carry the team for a few wins, if the schedule was right, during the season and keep the playoff hopes alive for when Romo could return.

And yes, we all understand the word potential. And I dont want to have to rely on seeing that "potential" become reality. AP is reality. AP is not potential.

We have 2 years in my opinion. Maybe 3, but I wouldnt bet on it. But 2 years to win a SB.

I do not want to rely on some rookie coming into the league and winning Offensive rookie of the year... or to have a season that allows this team to push for a SB. I will rely on history for that one, and say that rarely happens....:)

But, we may very well have to roll with an unproven rookie, 29 year old Darren Mcfadden Joseph Randle and practice squad guy Ryan Williams during the last 2-3 years of our Franchise QBs career.....

We paid a lot of money to a franchise QB to get nothing out of it......

I think it would be a huge mistake....

joseephuss

Reaction score

Peterson has only topped 350 rushing attempts in a season once during his career. He averages only 290 rushing attempts per season.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Running backs who breach the 2000 yard barrier don't get rest breaks.

That is quite a range you have for him. The way people talk about Peterson and his potential behind this line I would think anything short of 1700 yards would be a disappointment. Gaining just 1400 yards would be a major let down.

I really dont know? Depends on how much they run him. I would think he gets as many breaks as possible....to keep him fresh for the playoffs. But there are lots and lots of variables...u know?

And I really dont care how many yards he gets. Just force that defense to respect the run on any given play...and push this team into the SB....

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
It would be reckless to expect or force that many rushing attempts on a 30 year old running back who really isn't used to running the ball that much. I don't think he would hold up.

oohh yeah, I agree totally;

ufcrules1

Reaction score
We are literally a player away from being super bowl favorites in the NFC and some of you seriously want a rookie RB and DMF in your backfield? Our running game is our identity. We don't have a chance in hell with a rookie RB. The time is now, we need AP and I'm pretty sure we are going to try to get him.

If we were going with a 5 year plan, then by all means go with a rookie RB. If we want to go for it all now, get AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.