FEATURED AFC Bills-vs-Bengals Game Reschedule Speculation (no conspiracies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
The game last night should be called a tie and just move on. This isn't rocket science, we just have too many idiots in the room.

As right as you might be, you just so happen to live on a giant rock controlled completely by money.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If these were two teams out of the playoffs, the game would likely be forfeited and we’d move on. But it’s two teams jockeying for playoff position and a potential bye.

Tomorrow is the latest you could feasibly play the game, but I doubt either team would want <4 days to prepare for Sunday.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I like the idea, I just don't think the ownership of the teams would get on board with that. The homefield and bye implications between all three teams just make that a difficult decision. The playoff simulator erased last nights game so I don't know if it is possible for Cinn to get the 1 seed still.

It's a mess!
Yea, not sure why they took that game off the simulator. Kinda dumb tbh

EST_1986

Reaction score
Not happening, the Bills have a game against the Patriots to prepare for at noon next weekend which will already be hard enough to prepare for. Calling the Bills/Bengals game a tie and moving on is the fairest of options where there are no good options. I'm sorry if you don't realize we live in an imperfect world. ;)
NFL had zero issue scheduling Wednesday games during the covid season, games too important to both teams and playoffs seeding to "move on", thats not going to happen

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please discuss possible scheduling ramifications that may be prompted by and/or enacted by the National Football League, NFL Players Association and television/streaming networks or providers (e.g. CBS, ESPN, Prime Video, etc.) only.

jwitten82

Reaction score
NFL had zero issue scheduling Wednesday games during the covid season, games too important to both teams and playoffs seeding to "move on", thats not going to happen
I keep thinking Wednesday is the latest they play too, but damn this day is already halfway over and no announcement. I think if played Wednesday, it would be better played at noon or 3 o'clock game

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I think you are 100% right.

An extra bye week after the season for all playoff teams would be best for players health and safety.

NFL has shown they care zero about player safety. If they did, there wouldn't be Thursday games all year. Football is very violent and takes a toll every week. There also wouldn't be games added to the schedule. The best season would be 12 games with 2 bye weeks throughout. Every sport used to have less games in their early days and for good reason. But all of them have since added more games. The greedy owners, commish, ad execs want as much money as they can extract. Players are just cattle they shove out there to make this happen. 17 game seasons is absurd.

So don't expect the NFL to do anything here in regards to their safety. The money will come first in this decision.

I am glad there is a thread where this can be discussed, though. This shouldn't be taboo. You can care about Hamlin's safety and wonder about the game separately. There was a lot at stake here. Seeding, divisions, fans attending with their money, etc. I seriously doubt they outright cancel the game.

Not to mention, how about fantasy football? This is championship week in most leagues. Both of these teams have high profile fantasy players. Not to mention the betting world. A lot still up in the air right now.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Please discuss possible scheduling ramifications that may be prompted by and/or enacted by the National Football League, NFL Players Association and television/streaming networks or providers (e.g. CBS, ESPN, Prime Video, etc.) only.
Wait, what do you mean by this? We're only allowed to talk about scheduling if comes from one of those networks?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yep - 17 games is too many anyway. The though of going to 18 should be a no go but I know they are doing it anyway. The players should have known better than agree to this but obvioulsy they all did it for the money (players and owners) without realizing the consequences of this action. People careers are going to be shortened going to 18 games.

NFLPA has shown it is very weak. They cave every time these new CBA's come around. Especially in 2011. They need to realize they have all the power here. NFL can't survive with playing replacements. It survives because of the star players everyone knows and loves. But for some reason, people think it's the opposite. Yes, these players benefit from the NFL's massive advantage but they are the reason its as popular. If you think football can survive with lesser players, go look how many failed lesser leagues have occurred.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
1. Cupcakes with a delicate disposition like you should not be risking their feeling being hurt by interacting in a sports forum.

2. How is playing the game Wednesday fair to either team when they still have a week 18 game to prepare for?

3. The logistics alone say it's not possible for the Bills to return to Cincinnati by Wednesday and still have time to prepare for week 18.

4. That's not happening. It's just dumb to think so.
You can disguise your behavior with me being hurt all you want, couldn't be further from the truth. Conducting yourself in a manner that doesn't distract from your point and generally being a decent human being is better for everyone. If you can't communicate without attempting to insult someone, it's you that can't handle a sports forum brother.

EST_1986

Reaction score
I keep thinking Wednesday is the latest they play too, but damn this day is already halfway over and no announcement. I think if played Wednesday, it would be better played at noon or 3 o'clock game
they're going to have to announce something really quickly, its getting pretty late

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait, what do you mean by this? We're allowed to talk about scheduling if comes from one of those networks?
No. It can be any network or any streaming provider that could be part of the solution.

My post was made to dissuade members from introducing possibilities that have zero connection to the current situation.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think you push it back a week. The only thing scheduled are the broadcasting times. No venue or team has a time set up, no tickets have been sold. Now I'm sure their will be some issues with the networks, and it may even cost the NFL some cash if said networks wanted to push back, but that is what this situation comes down to I believe. For decades it's been the NFL vs the players. This is an excellent opportunity for the NFL to sacrifice a small piece of their profits for what is best for the players. I think they would be crazy not to. Even if deep down they dont want to do right by the players here with so many eyes watching this situation I don't think they have a choice.

Time will tell though.
The Super Bowl is not changing dates so the playoffs need to start on time. We talking billions of dollars with advertising and gambling. Plus the Wildcard weekend is a big deal. People will set their schedules around it.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I'm guessing all Playoff games would then be pushed back. And then they could eliminate the bye week before the Super Bowl and play that as regulary scheduled.

This is what needs to happen. This is what happened in 2011 when 9/11 happened. This was the last time there was no bye week before the Super Bowl. And makes the most sense. Because no way you can make these teams play Wednesday and turn around and play Sunday for the final week. Not fair at all for them.And not safe at all.

EST_1986

Reaction score
This is what needs to happen. This is what happened in 2011 when 9/11 happened. This was the last time there was no bye week before the Super Bowl. And makes the most sense. Because no way you can make these teams play Wednesday and turn around and play Sunday for the final week. Not fair at all for them.And not safe at all.
except they've made teams play Wednesday and turn around and play Sunday, its not really any different than playing Sunday then Thursday

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The Super Bowl is not changing dates so the playoffs need to start on time. We talking billions of dollars with advertising and gambling. Plus the Wildcard weekend is a big deal. People will set their schedules around it.

Easy solution. Delay the playoffs by one week and cut out that useless bye week before the Super Bowl. They did it in 2001 when 9/11 happened.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got a feeling buffalo might just take a loss and forfeit. Not sure if they are even interested in playing.
Canceling the game does not seem to be getting any traction within conversations by the media or fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.