Twitter: Aikman puts Mahomes in his place

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I noticed yesterday and from highlights today. I was going to post at some point.

Mahomes is starting to remind me on the cockiness level of Cam Newton.
Almost Arrogant with on the field antics. Not quite as bad, but a sign of it.
I'm glad people are finally noticing what I've noticed from the beginning. I've already seen him throw receive is under the bus. Eventually he'll be a distraction of the locker room

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This the same aikman that said accuracy cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't. Dak has proven otherwise. Troy's an arrogant redneck. But he's got buck to stroke his ego. "I'm here with the hall of famer".........
I find him to be obnoxious

NickZepp

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield has never been as good as Mahomes. That is why Mayfield transferred from Texas Tech to OU. He was stuck on the bench.
Actually it was because Tech wouldn't give him a scholarship after he won the starting job before Mahomes was even at Tech. They weren't even on the same roster at Tech. Baker left before Mahomes enrolled at Tech. And Mahomes didn't even beat out Davis Webb as a freshman.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think over the years and with this offensive explosion era we're in, Troy's TD total comes under lots of scrutiny. I think he really wishes he could've played in this era and let his talents back him up. He's said a multitude of times how he let his own stats take a back seat to the team, but he's also mentioned that he would've had better stats under a different offense such as Denver's or Miami's (back then).
he threw a lot of INTs as well..look noones trying to devalue Troy but he was surrounded by GREATRNESS with a better coach/GM and an era where early on no salary cap..they were deep and good..His RS numbers were quite pedestrian regardless of era..looked like a bus driver for the most part but flipped swicth in the playoffs and Sb..

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Sadly, even a talent like Mahomes could be wasted. Just like Brees and Rodgers have largely been wasted despite having a ring.

Brady's super bowl teams have had to win in different ways just like Troy's teams. QB's obviously matter but the people running the organization matter just as much.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Kansas City Radio tries to compare Mahomes to Aikman and Aikman isn't having it!! :lmao2::flagwave::clap::

That's why I was on Cowboy fans comparing Romo to Aikman which is incredulous and ridiculous.

If Aikman was not a team player to allow his stats to decrease to increase the players around him, he would be one of the all time passing leaders, TD leaders, completion % leaders. However, he chose to win Rings over things.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Kansas City Radio tries to compare Mahomes to Aikman and Aikman isn't having it!! :lmao2::flagwave::clap::

Aikman is throwing out the one angle he has.

Put Mahones on that Cowboys team and they probably win 6 in a row.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
comparing qbs from different eras is stupid. in 1991 Marino threw for 4116 yards and led the NFL. That would put him 12th last year in yards... just above the imposing Derek Carr.

Let Brady play in 1991 when defenders took 3 steps after the ball was thrown and clobbered you. Remember Fat Tony picking up slamming whats his name... the Raider qb. That NEVER happens today. Look at the Heath hit on Hearns this week... wasnt even a hit. Heath was going for the ball just like Hearns, and that collided and people were freaking out.

Imagine Jack Tatum clobbering a WR today..lol... that would get him suspended for the season. The game is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same, so to compare QBs and their stats is just flat stupid.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Aikman is throwing out the one angle he has.

Put Mahones on that Cowboys team and they probably win 6 in a row.
comparing qbs from different eras is stupid. in 1991 Marino threw for 4116 yards and led the NFL. That would put him 12th last year in yards... just above the imposing Derek Carr.

Let Brady play in 1991 when defenders took 3 steps after the ball was thrown and clobbered you. Remember Fat Tony picking up slamming whats his name... the Raider qb. That NEVER happens today. Look at the Heath hit on Hearns this week... wasnt even a hit. Heath was going for the ball just like Hearns, and that collided and people were freaking out.

Imagine Jack Tatum clobbering a WR today..lol... that would get him suspended for the season. The game is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same, so to compare QBs and their stats is just flat stupid.

Very true. Ronnie Lott doesn't last two games in this era before being suspended.

wrongway

Reaction score
I think this was rather small of Aikman. He didn't win a Super Bowl until his 4th year in the league, either, so he technically had no Lombardis at this same time point in Mahomes' career, an NFL starting-QB sophomore.

Not to mention that Aikman's Cowboys were far more loaded, talent-wise, than Mahomes' Chiefs.

Just give the young guy credit and praise him. He's lighting up the game. He is the Stephen Curry of football.
Troy got his brains beat out his rookie year on a crap team.
Mahomes isn't allowed to be slaughtered like QBs were in Troys day either. Dbs were allowed to maul receivers in comparison to todays calling of games as well. Mahomes has been great but I don't begrudge Troy being a lil salty.

Valkyr

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how Aikman throwing 35 TDs a year (which he could do if he wanted to, I'm told) wouldn't have helped the team even more.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm trying to figure out how Aikman throwing 35 TDs a year (which he could do if he wanted to, I'm told) wouldn't have helped the team even more.
That's not correct. You obviously haven't heard what Jimmy Johnson has said numerous times. Aikman followed orders and those orders were based on a run first offense.

Jimmy Johnson has also said Aikman's stats would have been much better, if the team had let him pass more. In fact, Jerry Jones spoke on this very issue at Aikman's HOF induction, if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Someone must have one hell of an agenda to try pumping up Patrick Mahomes by insinuating his stats indicate he’s a better QB than 3-time SB Champ HOFer, Troy Aikman.

Also, while I can think of several ex-NFL QBs to compare Mahomes to (off the top of my head, maybe Fran Tarkenton, Steve McNair, Michael Vick, possibly Tony Romo), one of the last guys I’d compare PM to, directly as a QB, would be Aikman.
I don't know what context that statement was made in. It may have simply been said to underscore how much more of a passing league it's become.

shabazz

Reaction score
Which is why grown men over 30 shouldnt be on Twitter, Facebook and Exchangegram

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were comparing Mahomes to any QB in the past, that would be Marino. Both came to good teams with good coaching and talent at the skill positions and it was all about the pass game.

Mahomes shares one thing with all of them, hit them in the mouth and they're not so shiny anymore. Right now, he's riding the crest of the wave but that can come crashing into the shore in the blink of an eye.