1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Aldon Smith makes Greg Hardy look like a choir boy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, Apr 2, 2020.

1. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

33,236 Messages
    26,646 Likes Received
    Oh its definitely low risk. No doubt. Not mad at it personnel wise. I'm more disappointed what this move could represent. Hopefully its a McCarthy move.....

2. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

3,115 Messages
    2,732 Likes Received
    exactly....as soon as Tyreke scored a TD, all those fans no longer cared what he did to his baby mama

3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

63,114 Messages
    70,503 Likes Received
    I think that the obvious connection is defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. He was on staff when the 49'ers drafted him and coached him during the best and worst times of his career. But I also feel that there is some sort of a connection now between McCarthy, Jay Glazer, and now this football team. Glazer clearly also has connections to Smith, through his gym and his outside programs. And if you notice, Glazer has been breaking some of the biggest Cowboys stories lately, starting with the McCarthy hire.

I think there's a circle that's been built here.

4. rocyaice

33,236 Messages
    26,646 Likes Received
    It doesn't cross anything off the list but what it does do it allows them to not reach for a player like they did with Taco. They can feel more comfortable in the 1st round about drafting a guy who can contribute right now and start for them rather than a project that's not ready to contribute. And I'm down with drafting Chaisson but that's what he represents as of right now.

5. montgod

montgod Well-Known Member

2,116 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    ....multiple times and his son

6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,995 Messages
    10,565 Likes Received
    Some of them were illegal, so he was forced to turn them over. He didn't have 1 run-in, he was convicted of assault and then arrested a little more than a year later for cocaine.

But beating up a woman, or really anyone given his stature, makes you a bad person. Don't care about the environment. I don't know or care what he is now. He's no better/worse than Smith in that regard.

7. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

14,051 Messages
    20,600 Likes Received
    I can totally hear Jerry rationalizing at the post-draft press conference:

“Well...well...I tell you with no uncertainty (uhn’surrr’taint-teeee) that we believe we got an extra 1st rounder in Aldon Smith and an extra 2nd rounder in Randy Gregory comin’ back so that made it a whole’lot easier when we bypassed those positions in this here draft.”

8. zrinkill

zrinkill Troller of Trolls and apparent Dak slobberer Zone Supporter

39,543 Messages
    12,277 Likes Received
    I will cheer for the defense as a whole but not for him .......just like Greg Hardy.

9. Skillit

Skillit Well-Known Member

302 Messages
    257 Likes Received

I think deterrence serves very little in terms of meaningful purpose. Crime occurs in places with the harshest if penalties.

Is the reason you don’t kill people you dislike is that you’ll get in trouble? Is the reason you don’t snort coke is that it’s illegal? Don’t get me wrong- I’m all about accountability.....I just think there’s a missing piece here somewhere.

What compulses people to lose control? We all have ‘heat of the moment’ type situations, but 99% of us spend only a moment there vs what ‘crazy people’ do who seem trapped there.

10. rocyaice

33,236 Messages
    26,646 Likes Received
    Oh the Tomsula connection for sure. Being Tomsula is a McCarthy guy I think its safe to assume there's some connection there. And yeah I have seen Glazer break some stories from the Cowboys lately. Seems like more than normal.

stasheroo likes this.
  11. stasheroo

63,114 Messages
    70,503 Likes Received
    Of course it is, via Jim Tomsula, his chosen defensive line coach.

Aldon Smith has a connection to Tomsula, and therefore McCarthy, not the Joneses. Haven't we been through this already?

12. rocyaice

33,236 Messages
    26,646 Likes Received
    Why? Seems like most of his issues were self destruction. Essentially battling his own demons. What am I missing?

13. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

33,169 Messages
    9,199 Likes Received
    Here's the big difference.

Smith has taken responsibility for his actions and is now in recovery.

14. stasheroo

63,114 Messages
    70,503 Likes Received
    OK, now we're getting somewhere! I'm glad that you understand where I'm coming from.
    :thumbup:

15. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

10,292 Messages
    13,613 Likes Received
    The problem with your statement is it isnt based in actual facts.
    The US has the highest prison population per 100k citizens in the world. The number 2 is El Salvador and #3 is Thailand.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics...h-the-most-prisoners-per-100-000-inhabitants/

Countries with the lowest re incarceration rates:
    The Scandinavian countries, Switzerland, New Zealand, and The Netherlands. There’s a correlation between the way prisoners are treated and their likelihood of reoffending. The US has a recidivism rate over 75%, Norway has a recidivism rate of 20%. Norwegian prisons are like country clubs compared to the prisons in the US. Inmates can wear their own clothes, cook their own food, they have their own rooms and showers, they have computers and TVs, and they can get conjugal visits. They can also study or learn a trade, which is available in some prisons in the US, but not many. The US could learn a lot from these countries. We keep wasting taxpayer money locking up the same people for the same crimes and have the highest incarceration rate per capita in the world.

16. Prossman

Prossman Well-Known Member

1,087 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Well he has been clean and sober for a few years. worst case senario we lose a couple mill on the deal. If he has rehabbed we just stole a pass rusher. Well worth the risk imo

17. rocyaice

33,236 Messages
    26,646 Likes Received
    While the above may be true....this move reeks of the low cost/high reward type deals the Cowboys have made in the past with Hardy, McClain, Tank Johnson, Pac-Man, etc.

18. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

9,700 Messages
    13,292 Likes Received
    We aren’t the only team to bring on bad people. And honestly who cares. People hate the cowboys and love them.

19. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

10,292 Messages
    13,613 Likes Received
    Like many issues us americans need to first put our elitism away and look around the world at how other countries do things for examples that work.
    Look at the country with the highest number of prisoners per capita and its the US. Look at our 70% re incarceration rate vs some European and Scandinavian countries 20%.
    The data is clear. Our system of punishment over rehabilitation is a national disgrace.

stasheroo likes this.
  20. KDM256

KDM256 Well-Known Member

812 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    No problem with this signing at all. If Smith turned his life around and the front office did their homework and Smith comes in with something to prove like he belongs in the NFL, could be the signing of the offseason.

Smith comes in and give us nothing on the defensive line, cut his butt like we do everyone else who doesn't perform on the field.

Sometimes it takes removing something out of your life completely to realize the mistakes you've made in the past, hopefully this is one of those instances.

Kaiser and stasheroo like this.